Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ah

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

Karoma wrote: »
    Is that what this is about? Thanks; I was genuinely having difficulty working it out. Perhaps it was the lack of examples that did it.
    'Ban them for trolling' - prove that they're trolling. So far, all I see is a 'ban them because they disagree with my opinions'.

Argumentation / discussion is what boards.ie is all about at the end of the day, no?
    A good debate/discussion involves opposing viewpoints. Demanding that people with opposing viewpoints be silenced goes against the most fundamental drive of this site, and simply won't be listened to; it's absurd.
    If somebody is deliberately and repeatedly choosing an opposing viewpoint and it's pretty obvious that their primary interest is in upsetting other boardsies, then and only then will they be banned as trolls. As above, point some out.

For the record: I love Ireland. I loathe estblotsit.

If that is the case, then I am quite happy.

But Karoma its often been said that since Boards is a private site, freedom of speach doesn't actually exist. If it did I wouldn't have been banned for my Timothy McVeigh nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,434 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

For the record I have Russian ancestry.

Let me ask you Ikky where have you lived? Have you already lived in Berlin?

Ikky will you come home when we become so open-minded that we hold a Irish Man/Boy love association on the streets of Dublin?

i've lived in Dublin, Copehnhagen, Holstebro (Western Denmark), Paris and Surrey.

That last statemeant is EXACTLY the kind of immature intolerant BULL5H1T that reaffirms the pathetic attitude so prevalent in this sity. I wish I could say your attitude was unique, but my experiences have thought me otherwise: how exactly are you connecting ANY of what I said to "man/boy love"? Are you homophobic?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

If that is the case, then I am quite happy.
    Your happiness: the second most fundamental reason we're all here.

But Karoma its often been said that since Boards is a private site, freedom of speach doesn't actually exist. If it did I wouldn't have been banned for my Timothy McVeigh nonsense.
    "Freedom of speach" doesn't exist here, or anywhere else. Did I say others?
    Even if it did, what makes you think that you wouldn't have been banned?

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    i've lived in Dublin, Copehnhagen, Holstebro (Western Denmark), Paris and Surrey.

That last statemeant is EXACTLY the kind of immature intolerant BULL5H1T that reaffirms the pathetic attitude so prevalent in this sity. I wish I could say your attitude was unique, but my experiences have thought me otherwise: how exactly are you connecting ANY of what I said to "man/boy love"? Are you homophobic?

I'm homophobic in the same way a lot of AH posters are racist. Deep down, yes I do dislike the actions of gay people.

Anywho my joke seemed to go over your head. What I meant was that open-mindess is only acceptable to a certain point.

Karoma I wouldn't have been banned, because freedom of speach allows me to say anything.

I'm homophobic in the same way a lot of AH posters are racist. Deep down, yes I do dislike the actions of gay people.

Anywho my joke seemed to go over your head. What I meant was that open-mindess is only acceptable to a certain point.

Bit late to call it a joke now that your intolerance has been pointed out again...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Why Terry, yes I do. But it will cost you. PM me there and we could sort something out.
    Why the need for a PM?
    My intentions are self explanatory.

Hook me up with your sister and I'll unban you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭The Artist

quote=estebancambias;56119060
    AH posters are racist.
    im think youre wrong there.
    Ah posters would be not be acceptable if there are racist in any way as imo they joke on them alright dosent mean there are racist.
    ive taken a lot of jokes here and im used to it.
    if you dont like if you think that person is racist,report them or put them on the ignore list on you User CP will solve it.
    let the mods sort out the racism issues as they do take it seriously imo.

To quote Ikky Poo ''Seriously, though, sorry if I came on too strong, but txtspk is one of my pet hates''

:confused:.....so much for tolerance.....

But seriously Ikky you are right. I wish Ireland could become more open-minded in fairness. I was at a match a week or so ago, and was singing the fields of Athenry...and as part of the lyrics I included ''IRA''

Some guy told me to stop, and tried to dictate to me what I can or can't say.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

So you think people should be banned from ah for saying something yet you give out about someone essentially doing the same thing.

To quote Ikky Poo ''Seriously, though, sorry if I came on too strong, but txtspk is one of my pet hates''

:confused:.....so much for tolerance.....

But seriously Ikky you are right. I wish Ireland could become more open-minded in fairness. I was at a match a week or so ago, and was singing the fields of Athenry...and as part of the lyrics I included ''IRA''

Bit of a difference between a pet hate and an intolerant attitude!

Why were you singing IRA lyrics as part of the fields of athry lyrics...? Purely out of curiosity? As a wise man once said, I may not like what you have to say, but I will gladly stand up for your right to say it.

• Advertisement

Its a folk song which mentions rebeling against the crown. I admire and respect the effort and suffering they went through to pave the way to establishing a free Ireland.

Its a folk song which mentions rebeling against the crown. I admire and respect the effort and suffering they went through to pave the way to establishing a free Ireland.

I know the song, just don't rememnber IRA being in the lyrics... donm't think they were active during the famine!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Am I correct in saying we are not allowed to complain about the state of Ireland? Why?

The like it or lump it theory is rubbish. People see what they think is wrong in the world and voice their opinion. If everyone just accepted the status quo do you think anything would ever get better?
    Even the best country has room for improvement. Pride in your nation solely based on your residence or birth there and the inability to accept its critisism is the recourse of arrogant minature flag waving pseudo-patriots.

We are, it's true, a glass half empty kind of people some of the time, but it produces a lot of the positive aspects of our national character; we don't have our heads up our own arses (although some would argue that is changing). Anyone who remembers the frenzy during the 1990 world cup will know that this isn't a rule, we can be proud of our country but without the prince naseem attitude.

[/rant]

kowloon wrote: »
    Am I correct in saying we are not allowed to complain about the state of Ireland? Why?

The like it or lump it theory is rubbish. People see what they think is wrong in the world and voice their opinion. If everyone just accepted the status quo do you think anything would ever get better?
    Even the best country has room for improvement. Pride in your nation solely based on your residence or birth there and the inability to accept its critisism is the recourse of arrogant minature flag waving pseudo-patriots.

We are, it's true, a glass half empty kind of people some of the time, but it produces a lot of the positive aspects of our national character; we don't have our heads up our own arses (although some would argue that is changing). Anyone who remembers the frenzy during the 1990 world cup will know that this isn't a rule, we can be proud of our country but without the prince naseem attitude.

[/rant]

Please criticise and seek to improve Ireland. It has its good and bad points, but ''****e'' weather and ''ugly pale women'' are not among them. Neither is lack of open-minded people a bad point. Because generally people are open-minded to what they like.

As I have said, I don't believe in national charachter traits.....every individual is different.....its not as simple as Ikky Poo put it that ''most people in Berlin are tolerant and open-minded''

Peoples opinions and beliefs in my opinion are shaped by social circumstances. You go to a crummy Berlin ghetto, I doubt the teenagers take to the streets for the annual gay pride parade.

Once again to the German analogy, I personally believe Ikky Poo has a idealistic view of Berlin. As a German girl in my course this year said ''she loves ireland because the people are much more friendlier than the germans''

Maby Ikky Poo hasn't got much mates or reason to stay here...in the case then yeah I can understand wanting to try something new. I doubt it, but I'm just saying.

The reason I say that is because I don't care if I have to wait an extra 15 minutes for the bus...the 'trains running on time' pales in comparison to having good mates here. My mates are either Irish or come to live in Ireland.....I like Ireland for the people, not because of continential drift...plate tectonics(i.e I love Ireland for the people not because it just happens to be Ireland)

The only things which really get to me about Ireland is that during the summer we get a fair share of overcast days and too strcit immigration law(we are good for economic migrants.....not for people who actually need refuge)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    I know the song, just don't rememnber IRA being in the lyrics... donm't think they were active during the famine!!

Same goes for Sinn Fein

I would never mention Sinn Fein in that song...I have time for them as a political group, but there is nothing heroic about Sinn Fein, so they will not be mentioned.

Or, and here's a revolutionary idea, you could just stick to the actual lyrics of the song :eek:

I could but so could the Liverpool fans....they don't.

I'm sure(of course I don't no) plenty of teams(both club and national) have songs which they manipulate..adding ''IRA'' at the end of a line is hardly a big deal.

Say Xavi, surely Waltzing Matilda has some add ons?

I could but so could the Liverpool fans....they don't.

I'm sure(of course I don't no) plenty of teams(both club and national) have songs which they manipulate..adding ''IRA'' at the end of a line is hardly a big deal.

Yet including Sinn Fein would be a big deal. Bit contradictory.
    Say Xavi, surely Waltzing Matilda has some add ons?

I honestly haven't a clue.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

But seriously Ikky you are right. I wish Ireland could become more open-minded in fairness.

seriously? you don't see any contradiction with putting those two sentences in the same thread?
    Please criticise and seek to improve Ireland. It has its good and bad points, but ''****e'' weather and ''ugly pale women'' are not among them. Neither is lack of open-minded people a bad point. Because generally people are open-minded to what they like.

i don't think you fully understand the concept of open-mindedness. everyone is "open minded" to the things they like. that's not called open-mindedness, that's called liking something. open-mindedness is about respecting views that are different to yours.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Nail on the head from Sam Vimes. Meh it all sounds like just your everyday rant from a forming mindset still looking for a viewpoint they can all their own. Nothin wrong with that, it's how we all learn.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Because generally people are open-minded to what they like.

...huh?! You're either open-minded or not, it's not pick-and-choose!!!

As I have said, I don't believe in national charachter traits.....every individual is different.....its not as simple as Ikky Poo put it that ''most people in Berlin are tolerant and open-minded''

Of course not, but the general mood of the city is what I was getting it. And the general mood of the city of Dublin is not as tolerant and open as one would hope it to be.
    Peoples opinions and beliefs in my opinion are shaped by social circumstances. You go to a crummy Berlin ghetto, I doubt the teenagers take to the streets for the annual gay pride parade.

That's up to them. As the thing generally passes off quiet peacefully, they obviously tolerate it.
    Maby Ikky Poo hasn't got much mates or reason to stay here...in the case then yeah I can understand wanting to try something new. I doubt it, but I'm just saying.

Oh, it wasn't a decision taken lightly, I assure you. But when you want to do particapte in a harmless, fun, artistic activity that an (allegedly openminded) society frowns upon or ridicules you for, then, my firiend, it is time to head. It's a bit like getting in a liferaft before the Titanic hits the water.
    The only things which really get to me about Ireland is that during the summer we get a fair share of overcast days and too strcit immigration law(we are good for economic migrants.....not for people who actually need refuge)

Now we're finally getting back on topic: how ould you feel if people were banned from expressing an opinion on such topics?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I think there is such a thing as national character. If everyone was completely individual and unaffected by regional differences there would be no differences between cultures barring those imposed purely by geography.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,706 ✭✭✭Matt Holck

Nations are well defined
    they have boundaries
    and a national emblem
    the US a bird ~"~
    the Irish a wolf hound

I think regional culture mixes from people changing location

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

This is Feedback. Not your personal AH nor a place for your rants. Get a blog.

DeV.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement