Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I did not drink till 18

• 31-05-2008 2:28am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭

:)I miss the days when some young 'riode' said 'I respect you for not drinking'. Truth is I kept the pledge and let loose at 18. Before that I kind of think I still had good times but I was marginalised. No doubt about it. For all you guys who resisted you have nothing but my full respect. Id rather have a conversation with you guys in a bar then my freinds drunk. I use to laugh at them when I was sober as the day I was born but now im no better then them. If im honest im sorry I even started - I was under pressure to. I have to have those weekend drinks and its costly on the pocket. Unfortunately I cannot return to the 'good old days' but ive made my choice. Seriously though how you guys dont even take a sip of alcohol is beyond me now. It just seems very Irish to drink but ive huge respect for those who dont.:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭niamherz88

I was the same myself. I had no interest in drinking or any of the social scene which came with it. I was quiet content in my own happy sober world. But then when I turned 18 I bent to the pressure and immersed my self in that pastime which is all to synonmous with an Irish Ireland. I similarily long for those carefree days. Alcohol seems to complicate things. Sure there are those of you out there who say dont drink so or drink in moderation but i think its easier said than done. Irish pastimes revolve almost entirely around the local pub/nightclub and those who say it doesnt are blind. Pat Spillane recently wrote an article entitled saturday night ireland in which he spoke of the utter turmoil and disaster which ensues on a night out. It is peculiar to say that young girls and boys who are perfect examples of human beings can turn into demons possessed by that all to powerful force-alcohol-at the weekends. I wholeheartedly agree that our society woud be far better without it and I just wish I was strong enough of a person to stay away from it. God I wish I was 16 again!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭thusspakeblixa

I'm just gone 18, and i still haven't taken a drink.
    Don't think I will, even though it does make things a tad awkward with some people.
    At the end of the day, I just think I'm far too lazy to drink!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,009 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I'm going on 19 and I have never drank.It does get quite hard when all your friends are drank adn cant talk.There is also loads of pressure from my friends and the media for a teenager to drink nowadays.But,all that does is make me more determined not to drink.I also hate the fact that drinking is part of the Irish culture so I tend to distance myself from it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 337 ✭✭disssco

I think you guys are making drinking out to be a big deal. I wouldn't say I drink or I don't drink, as I find it completely unnecessary. Whether or not I'll drink is completely up to how I feel on a given day.

The reasons for not drinking: Costly, excessiveness can lead to foolish things, quite a crappy "high" from alcohol, hangover.

Reasons for drinking: social lubricant, sociable, sometimes it is fun to get pissed with your friends and act like idiots.

Usually I won't say no to a few cans of Dutch at my friends house, but once we get to the pub I'm not paying €4 for a pint.

There is an alcoholic streak in my family, or so I'm told. I'm not worried. In general I find the actualy effects of drink to be quite boring, and the price to pay the next day too high.

Advertisement