Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what subject has you worried most?

Options
  • 31-05-2008 2:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭

I was chill axxed until a few days ago about everything. I'm covered for 7 subjects - got a rough timetable for what I needa revise on weekends and during the weeks of the exams and stuff and for 7 subjects it's bubbly stuff.

For English which is what I always needed to work on, I reserved this weekend and next week for, and it is tough-stuff. I'm relying on a tonne of predictions and if half of them go wrong I just might be touching on a fail - not good if one wants to go to university. On the other hand I might get a C or B3 if things go okay to great. But I have to wait and get the study done in the meantime.

MY LIFE DEPENDS ON ONE SUBJECT THAT I HATE AHHHH

I know a person doing her GCSEs, and she had a bad maths exam and gets to repeat JUST THAT EXAM. WOULDN'T THAT BE WORTH FIGHTING FOR?

Does anybody know if DCU would ever ever accommodate a HL E in English when a HL/OL D3 is required?

I can drop to OL but I'm tight for points (just a little bit) and English will most likely be my 6th subject AND dropping wouldn't be such a bad idea if I could get an A but ALSO there is that small chance that I take home a C/B in HL and win the points jackpot.

edit: then again I should just shut up and do the work and I'm sure as the days go by and I get more familiar with my studied texts I'll be more confident and if I should drop to OL then I'll know about it.

Things I intend to cover:
    Othello: Dessy, Othello, Iago from http://www.rte.ie/2fm/406/notes/OTHELLO%20A%20GUIDE%20TO%20THE%20CHARACTERS.pdf
    Comparative: Lit genre, is it likely? Will know a little T&I but may not pass the Q if there is no Lit genre.
    Poetry: Donne, Boland. Might even only have Donne well covered, it depends on how I work the next few days.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭blue-army

I'm worried about Accounting, my last exam...:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭lovechem

Chemistry :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

English is the worry of most students I'd say. I struggled to get a C in the mocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭SmashingPilot

English is tough alright, I got a D1 in the mocks but left out the comparative section. don't ask me why!!!! :o
    Since then, I've had another mock exam and got a high C grade. Hopefully, that can transfer to the actual exam.

I'm totally stressing over Honours Maths. I need a C3 for my most of my courses but will be doing well to get a D3. That said, I can still get into some decent courses with that. In my predictions I've only seen myself getting a D. So anything above that is a bonus. Anyone have any advice for the Maths exam????

I forgot to add that I do Geography and Accounting, two subjects which are tight for time. At the moment I am only getting my writing back to up speed. About five weeks ago, I cut my thumb pretty badly, was lucky not to cut tendons, and wasn't able to write for about two weeks. Obviously, I can write now so won't be getting a scribe (I wouldn't like one either) but my thumb gets really sore during long periods of writing. I will most likely be taking painkillers before every exam. Hopefully, I can get soe sort of allowance for this but the whole situation has me a little worried.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I'm worried about german as I need to pass it and I dont want to drop down to Ordinary level as I know that if everything goes right and I dont make a mess of the Comprehensions, I'll get a B at least.

In the pre, I got 50% but I know that if everything goes right on the day, I'll get a B.But if it doesnt, I could fail and not be able to go to college.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭kwestfan08

Defo Irish.:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭Brooke01

history !!!! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

English!!! Not that I'm worried Ill fail, or that I need points, I just cant wait til its over. All plain sailing after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Timans

I have done no study this year at all for Spanish but have always passed it.

I always expected to get a B as I was quite good at it, but with no work I have gradually struggled. I genuinely don't know how to study for it. I am just going to learn loads of Verbs and Opinion Phrases. I have 5 days free before Spanish and Economics so I am actually leaving those subjects to them. I am aiming for an A1 in Economics so not that worried about it, it's probably the only subject I can actually remember things I studied for the mocks. Even though Spanish will probably be my lowest points gotten, I am not that worried about. Although, I forgot that if I failed I wouldn't get into University.. lol.

****ing Maths. I like the subject, it's nice when you get it right but ****ing Maths. I did NO work last year, not even my homework and as a result I had to work my arse off this year and still only got 60% in the mocks (which I was pretty damn happy with). I have done loads of work for the subject and if I could get a B2 in it, it would be my biggest school related achievement because I really worked at it. Hopefully, the paper is kind to me. Any tips for Maths? Questions which seem hard but require little study and are actually quite easy?

Also, History, all going well, I could get an A, but the problem is that if the questions don't come my way, I could struggle to get a C. In the Mocks, I could 71% after only finishing 75% of the paper, so, I will mainly be seeing if I can write my essays under 42minutes.

But to be totally honest, all that being said, I am actually not that worried about the whole thing and I don't know whether that is good or bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭eoin2nc

Hons Irish- What happens if I dont understand the essay titltes or other questions?

History- Course is so feckin big that I had to gamble on what to learn , could easily backfire

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

eoin2nc wrote: »
    Hons Irish- What happens if I dont understand the essay titltes or other questions?

There's only 20% going for content in the essay, 80% for the standard of Irish. Theoretically you could write a different essay or twist it around to what you want to say and still get a large amount of the marks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 benzwOw

art history (hl) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭irish_boy90

I am just kinda afraid I might fail something and that will **** everything up

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭meeka

I'm not really worried about it, but I guess I'm really not looking forward to either English paper.. I got a B2 in my mock, so I'm not worried about doing really badly or anything, I just really don't feel bothered writing as much as is required for the exam.

Apart from that, I guess I'm a bit worried about maths - I need a C3 for my course, and chances are I'll get above that, but I'm paranoid that I'll go blank or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭daggy

English is freaking me out to the max... and Maths. The others are grawnd.

I actually had a fully fledged nightmare about english P1 hahah dreamt that i left the hall for a break, came back late and had to hand up a blank script - oh the humanity .

Haven't been sleeping solidly at all.. what the hell am i meant to do? I'm studying a small bit, go running about 4 or 5 times a week and eat well and I can't sleep at all.
    Any remedies i should take? (Bar alcohol)

In mocks enlgish i got a C2 but I want a B. It's all pot luck with me really. waaa. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 570 ✭✭✭KERPAL

declan_lgs wrote: »
    I was chill axxed until a few days ago about everything. I'm covered for 7 subjects - got a rough timetable for what I needa revise on weekends and during the weeks of the exams and stuff and for 7 subjects it's bubbly stuff.

For English which is what I always needed to work on, I reserved this weekend and next week for, and it is tough-stuff. I'm relying on a tonne of predictions and if half of them go wrong I just might be touching on a fail - not good if one wants to go to university. On the other hand I might get a C or B3 if things go okay to great. But I have to wait and get the study done in the meantime.

MY LIFE DEPENDS ON ONE SUBJECT THAT I HATE AHHHH

I know a person doing her GCSEs, and she had a bad maths exam and gets to repeat JUST THAT EXAM. WOULDN'T THAT BE WORTH FIGHTING FOR?

Does anybody know if DCU would ever ever accommodate a HL E in English when a HL/OL D3 is required?

I can drop to OL but I'm tight for points (just a little bit) and English will most likely be my 6th subject AND dropping wouldn't be such a bad idea if I could get an A but ALSO there is that small chance that I take home a C/B in HL and win the points jackpot.

edit: then again I should just shut up and do the work and I'm sure as the days go by and I get more familiar with my studied texts I'll be more confident and if I should drop to OL then I'll know about it.

Things I intend to cover:
    Othello: Dessy, Othello, Iago from http://www.rte.ie/2fm/406/notes/OTHELLO%20A%20GUIDE%20TO%20THE%20CHARACTERS.pdf
    Comparative: Lit genre, is it likely? Will know a little T&I but may not pass the Q if there is no Lit genre.
    Poetry: Donne, Boland. Might even only have Donne well covered, it depends on how I work the next few days.

Look man you have to relax, its english, if you write well with meaning in paper one, do a good essay and comprehensions you have a great platform for thursday. If you study what you are intending in othello your fine. Dunno about lt genre, but theme and issue is a piece of piss in fairness, just make sure you write well even if you dont know the texts.
    Im doing Boland and Mahon and Donne, id say you will be grand with those 2.

Just go in with an open mind and scrape as many points as possible, write neatly etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭declan_lgs

KERPAL wrote: »
    Look man you have to relax, its english, if you write well with meaning in paper one, do a good essay and comprehensions you have a great platform for thursday. If you study what you are intending in othello your fine. Dunno about lt genre, but theme and issue is a piece of piss in fairness, just make sure you write well even if you dont know the texts.
    Im doing Boland and Mahon and Donne, id say you will be grand with those 2.

Just go in with an open mind and scrape as many points as possible, write neatly etc etc.
    Cheers man.

Yeah I think it's defo worth the bash. If I get below 40% then I really don't deserve my course even if I don't know my texts. (I thought before under 40% was for an F and an E was 50 or so, but 41% is all that's needed for a D so that's good-good)

Reading the Othello notes is fun-fun, I can already write about these friggors. The worry yesterday was after I read my mock paper and realised I'd forgotten quite a lot, but really, some revision will resolve that.

Writing good really isn't my thing. I can't even learn good writing. We have a good essay for lit genre but all I got into my head is the points and that's all I'm doing.

I guess I should read some notes on theme and issue and become familiar. There is time.

Cheers kerpal. I think a major part of it is how you feel on the day. In the mocks I was having fun and writing reams. But as meeka said, "I just really don't feel bothered writing as much as is required for the exam" that happens me at times and that would s c r e w me up on Thursday or Wednesday. And if I do bad in paper 1 I'll carry a bad head into paper 2. I just can't let that happen I guess!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 570 ✭✭✭KERPAL

declan_lgs wrote: »
    Cheers kerpal. I think a major part of it is how you feel on the day. In the mocks I was having fun and writing reams. But as meeka said, "I just really don't feel bothered writing as much as is required for the exam" that happens me at times and that would s c r e w me up on Thursday or Wednesday. And if I do bad in paper 1 I'll carry a bad head into paper 2. I just can't let that happen I guess!

well look at it this way, 3 hours of writing as much as you possibly can as neat as you possibly can as well spelt as you possibly can with some bull**** about othello and poetry and novels, thats it.
    Youll never have to do it again. ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 861 ✭✭✭KeyLimePie

screw writing neat for english! just get it all down!!
    and i'm most worried for chemistry:(it's so much!! idk if i'll have everything revised

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Jakkass wrote: »
    There's only 20% going for content in the essay, 80% for the standard of Irish. Theoretically you could write a different essay or twist it around to what you want to say and still get a large amount of the marks.
    As far as I know, the two are tied together. ie, if you get half marks in content, you can only get a maximum of half marks in cruinneas teanga. That'd be to stop what you're saying: people learning off a grammatically perfect essay that has nothing to do with the topic, and getting 80% anyway due to their perfect language...

I'm not looking forward to English paper 2, but I think it should be alright... English was my worst subject in the mocks, which has put me off it ever since then.. I worked more for it than any other subject, probably, and got little for my efforts. Grr.
    Just worried about comparative really. Cultural Context is grand, but we're doing a weird Theme/Issue (Power and Control) which gets rapidly very abstract and complicated when trying to illustrate it in the three texts... My teacher let us pick our own texts and our own theme, so it was never going to be too easy.

Right now though, probably Applied Maths. I always forget to do obvious things, which makes everything go terribly wrong. I've got ages before it though, so I'm putting it to the back of my mind for now. Right now, English, Maths and Irish are the crisis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,935 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

French, did pass last year but doing Honours this year. Got a C2 in the mocks but that paper was ridiculously easy for honours...

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Decerto

Pass irish and honours english, and i amnt counting either for points but i still have to do both:(, geography im worried about a little also but id say i can waffle the extra few SRP's

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

Biology because i'm terrible at it

worried about english though, even though im very good at it im worried it wont go my way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭MaltEagle

Biology. Fingers crossed I'll be okay on the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭stripypumkin

golly i got an A2 in english in the mocks and i just feel i wont be able to get that in the real think!!

Gaeilge Gaeilge gaeilge :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: Taim ag dul as mo mheabhair!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Papercut

Hon Irish

Essay,:eek: Pros,:eek: Filiocht :eek:*Faints*:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 SmellySockies.

Chemistry and French I'm thinking of dropping back to pass in both and hope for an A1

• Registered Users Posts: 27 dshalloo

French and English .. i got a c1 in the pre in french but it was soo esay like and depending if iago, literary genre and mahon come up on english, ill be sooooorted!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭pocket aces

english... hoping paper 1 wont be too bad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

golly i got an A2 in english in the mocks and i just feel i wont be able to get that in the real think!!

Gaeilge Gaeilge gaeilge :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: Taim ag dul as mo mheabhair!!!
    I got a A1 in english but im worried if ill be able to pull it off in the real thing, I'd settle for a B1

Advertisement