Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Penalty points - how long until they expire?

Options
  • 31-05-2008 2:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭

How long do penalty points stay on your license before they expire? It is 2 years?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

3 years from the date you get them not the date of the offence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

Yeah and thats a disaster! It takes months for the points to arrive so it feels like 3.5 years rather than 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

It takes months for the points to arrive so it feels like 3.5 years rather than 3.
    I don't understand why that bothers people. While you are waiting your licence is either clean or has the previous level of points. It doesn't particularly matter when they are applied as it lasts for 3 years anyway.

I'm sure those with 10 points would welcome a delay! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

I don't understand why that bothers people. While you are waiting your licence is either clean or has the previous level of points. It doesn't particularly matter when they are applied as it lasts for 3 years anyway.

I'm sure those with 10 points would welcome a delay! ;)
    Yes, but if you are pending points and apply for insurance you are supposed to notify them.
    Oh yeah, i found this out the hard way, was waiting to get the letter that i was back to sparkly clean and waiting and waiting so I rang them and they told me that my licence was out of date so the points had stopped counting down during that time (over 6 months grrr):mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭D_murph

slideways wrote: »
    Yes, but if you are pending points and apply for insurance you are supposed to notify them.
    Oh yeah, i found this out the hard way, was waiting to get the letter that i was back to sparkly clean and waiting and waiting so I rang them and they told me that my licence was out of date so the points had stopped counting down during that time (over 6 months grrr):mad:

:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

^ WTF :confused::confused::confused::confused:- Have we room for the imbecile that wrote that last statement??? WTF Like!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Have we rooom for people who use insults ?

Warning for eringobragh

^ WTF :confused::confused::confused::confused:- Have we room for the imbecile that wrote that last statement??? WTF Like!
    First off, whats this we buisness? You a part owner in boards?
    Secondly that is personal abuse.. so fuk off and read the charter like a good lad.
    Thirdly i'm really not sure where the confusion is coming from.
    It was a simple statement, most people don't know (I'm assuming) thatif your licence is out of date the points stop counting down

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

Secondly that is personal abuse.. so fuk off and read the charter like a good lad.

Apologies ;)

Apologies ;)
    No bother horse, ya got me at a cranky stage..:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭dubmick

so fuk off and read the charter like a good lad.

personal abuse also?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

dubmick wrote: »
    personal abuse also?

get with the programme ...it's all resolved, apologised, done :D

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭FuzzyWuzzyWazza

It was a simple statement, most people don't know (I'm assuming) thatif your licence is out of date the points stop counting down

Don't you have to do another driving test if yer liscence expires?

No you dont.
    My boss in work got his truck licence in the amnesty and never got it put back on his licence when he renewed it a few years ago. This year when he went to renew it, he tried to get it put back on but was told he would have to sit the test now.

Advertisement