Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Setting up an Internet Radio show?

Options
  • 31-05-2008 9:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭

Hi,

Myself and my mates want to set up an Internet radio show but don't know what we'll need or how to go about doing it. Could some please go through the breakdown on how to go about doing it, please? We'll have a lot of listeners because we already have a lot of views on our website and have a lot of fans. So I understand we couldn't do it off our own broadband connection we'd need to get a server of somesort from a web hosting company?

If someone could help out, even guide me in a direction it would be brill! Thanks! I've searched a lot on the net and I couldn't find anything clear about it and it'd be good to get it from an Irish perspective here on the board!

Thanks again!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭barnicles

Is it live or pre-recorded

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

You could use audacity and iTunes/FeedBurner

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

You need a hosting company.
    You can have shared space, server or co-locate your own box at the Hosting company.

You can do live from your own home on ordinary broadband and use a server at the hosting company for users to connect to.

See my sig digiweb.ie and also Blacknight, Hosting365 etc

I'm sure there is a better forum for this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Hi there.

I'm going to shift this across to Nets/Comms, as I think it may be better suited for this type of enquiry.

Good luck with it.

Feel free to bounce it along to a more suitable home, fellow mods.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

I'll leave it here because I can't think of any where else to put it and since it's related to the more technical end of setting up an internet radio station I suppose here is more suitable.

OP you should give a look at Icecast too: http://www.icecast.org/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭Gu3rr1lla

Hi, thanks for the replies. I've tried the shoutcast and icecast approach already and can get that working but only a maxinum of 5 people can connect to it because my broadband upload limit is like 200kb or something. So I'll need to host it on a server/ web host? It's very hard to find information on this, from an Irish perspective, because I dont think anyone from Ireland has set up a Internet Radio show (?) We're expecting at least a few 100 listeners at first and then 1000s more. Our website gets 1000s of hits a day. We're basically going to provide alternative media.
    This is the tricky part now, will it be a web host or a dedicated server I'll need? How would I send the information from my pc to the host/server? Should I contact my web hosting company about this, instead of here? Because, as far as im aware, the host will need special requirements for a radio show?

Hi there.

I'm going to shift this across to Nets/Comms, as I think it may be better suited for this type of enquiry.

Good luck with it.

Feel free to bounce it along to a more suitable home, fellow mods.

Hi, thanks for the help. :)
    barnicles wrote: »

It'll be live. If it was pre-recorded i'd have no problem - just simply record and upload but because it's live I need to be able to allow a lot of listeners to tune in at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

You will need stream hosting in order to do this live. I do not know any company in Ireland offering this - I have checked with a few.

I have set it up for a community radio station and I used streamsolutions.co.uk for the stream hosting.
    100 concurrent listeners @ 32kbs = £36/month
    100 concurrent listeners @ 64kbs = £72/month
    Icecast and shoutcast servers are £23 (32kbs) and £46 (64kbs) per month. It might be a good idea to buy very few slots at the start (e.g. 20 slots) as firstly they are concurrent slots i.e. people listening at the same time and secondly you might not get 100 listeners at the begining. You can then increase the number of slots as you need them - I am pretty sure you can instantly increase the number of slots by just ordering the extra slots online.

For windows media server you will basically need a computer to act as the encoding server. It will have an audio input and will encode the the audio to WMA using the free windows media encoder. The windows media encoder will also upload the stream to the streaming server. You can create an asx file on your website that people can download to start the stream or you can link direct to the stream - this link will be to an ip address.

Here is today fm's asx file (it is just a text file with a .asx extension):
    <ASX version = "3.0">
    <Entry>
    <TITLE>TodayFM Online</TITLE>
    <Abstract>TodayFM Live from Ireland </Abstract>
    <Ref href = "http://streaming.todayfm.com:8000/&quot; />
    </Entry>
    </ASX>

Let me know if you want any more info.

p.s. I see today fm uses a shoutcast cast server with 32kbps per slot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭Gu3rr1lla

axer wrote: »
    You will need stream hosting in order to do this live. I do not know any company in Ireland offering this - I have checked with a few.

I have set it up for a community radio station and I used streamsolutions.co.uk for the stream hosting.
    100 concurrent listeners @ 32kbs = £36/month
    100 concurrent listeners @ 64kbs = £72/month
    Icecast and shoutcast servers are £23 (32kbs) and £46 (64kbs) per month. It might be a good idea to buy very few slots at the start (e.g. 20 slots) as firstly they are concurrent slots i.e. people listening at the same time and secondly you might not get 100 listeners at the begining. You can then increase the number of slots as you need them - I am pretty sure you can instantly increase the number of slots by just ordering the extra slots online.

For windows media server you will basically need a computer to act as the encoding server. It will have an audio input and will encode the the audio to WMA using the free windows media encoder. The windows media encoder will also upload the stream to the streaming server. You can create an asx file on your website that people can download to start the stream or you can link direct to the stream - this link will be to an ip address.

Here is today fm's asx file (it is just a text file with a .asx extension):

Let me know if you want any more info.

p.s. I see today fm uses a shoutcast cast server with 32kbps per slot.

Hey thanks for the help! Really appreciate it! :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement