Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

my first guitar lesson 10 months ago

• 31-05-2008 8:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

[FONT=&quot]I am 30 yrs old, and I took my first guitar lesson 10 months ago. I can play a few songs from the beginning to the end, so I am progressing. Also, I have taught myself how to read music to help guide my at-home practices. On days like today, I wonder how good I possible can get with having begun at such a late age. With no prior music lessons, has anyone begun to play the guitar in their mid 30?[/FONT]

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

Moved from Classical but feel free to move it back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Parsley

I don't see why you couldn't be as good as anyone else, it's all down to how much you practice. Some people think you have to start learning from about 13 or 14 to be any good, but Joe Satriani took it up at 19 or 20 and he's one of the best in the world. The only thing holding you back from being as good as you want is how much you practice, or don't practice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭ImDave

The only limit to how good you can be is practice. The more you do it, the better you will be. I was only playing two years when I done my higher level leaving cert practical exam, I just done a great deal of practice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

Parsley wrote: »
    but Joe Satriani took it up at 19 or 20 and he's one of the best in the world.
    No, he started at around 14. He was already teaching by his late teens; he was around 18 when he famously gave lessons to the younger Steve Vai.

Theres plenty of examples of guitarists taking up the instrument late and becoming very accomplished, but Satch isn't one of them unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭Jack Vegas

Wes Montgomery started in his late teens or early twenties I believe, and there's no doubt of the skills he possesed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭BobTheBeat

The feelings youre having are not unusual. We all have good days and bad days, (even those of us playing for much longer;) ).
    Like most of the guys have already said, there really is no substitute for a well structured practise regime. Also, think to yourself just how far you want to take the instrument. If you are just playing for fun then its likely the level of effort you put in will be proportional to that. Of course you can change that if you wish.
    Also, when you say 'good' do you mean someone who is 'technically' very good with a well rounded knowledge of the instrument, or someone who can play loads of songs and maybe comp along with another instrumentalist? Two entirely different things, requiring different levels of effort from the player.
    There's nothing stopping you from being either the former or the latter. A good tutor should give you what you need to explore both.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 EUGENEQUINN

sofia712 wrote: »
    [FONT=&quot]I am 30 yrs old, and I took my first guitar lesson 10 months ago. I can play a few songs from the beginning to the end, so I am progressing. Also, I have taught myself how to read music to help guide my at-home practices. On days like today, I wonder how good I possible can get with having begun at such a late age. With no prior music lessons, has anyone begun to play the guitar in their mid 30?[/FONT]
    Hello Sofia.
    I have been teaching guitar for twenty years. I have had students from 5 to 70 and some of my best students have been in their mid 40's . Forget about all these famous people, music is not about fame its about enjoyment,expression,achievment,relaxation and then of course the ability to entertaain and give pleasure to others . www.eugenequinn.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭lisajane

I have always wanted to learn to play the guitar. Is it easy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

not at all easy to learn but its easy enought to stay motivated to keep on learning,

OP just stick with it and in like 2 years youll be able to play the majority of songs so its well worth it, just think if you live to your 70's youll be playing 40 years!!!

Advertisement