Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

IMPORTANT RE: Euro 2008 Fantasy Football

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

do you? i'd say gio is more likely as he can play in midfield

well it's academic now as I had to drop Sagnol to afford Grosso.

But I still think Sagnol is more likely to make an appearance. What are Holland playing for? Gio is getting on in years so Van Basten will be more than happy to give him a well deserved rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

Ribery injured after 9 mins, fuking great :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Delighted that Engelaar plays for Holland. Just hope he doesn't get taken off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Not doing too badly, given how hard this round was for us to predict teams. Most of my players played, brought in Pirlo and Panucci which payed off tonight.

Left to play tomorrow are Zyryanov, Pavlychenko(c) and Villa. Don't hold too much hope of Villa starting, but I do fancy the Russians against Sweden.

Bad day for me. I only earned 5 points and dropped 7 places. Must have been a few Italian players in other people's squads.

I need Villa and Casillas to play for me tomorrow. I hope the Spaniards don't bring in a substitute goalie. Also need the Pavster to do the business for me against the Swedes. He hasn't let me down yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Inspired decision to include Pirlo. Sitting pretty in 4th spot at the moment with three players still to play, which is more than 2 of the lads ahead of me have. Come on Russia!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Inspired decision to include Pirlo. Sitting pretty in 4th spot at the moment with three players still to play, which is more than 2 of the lads ahead of me have. Come on Russia!

same time xavi6
    I have definitely given up hope after ribery today!

Lol and to think it was a toss up between Pirlo and Ribery for me!

Quietly confident that if the Russians get a result tonight I can make a push for the title.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,098 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I had an awful round this round, stupidly didn't swap out a lot of the stronger players, good ridiculously unlucky with Boularouz playing 58minutes too. only 1 point, would have been 6 if he'd played 2 more mins! but iv not dropped that far off top, i think ill be back in the mix from the next round on. Still potential silva and villa to play (though both likely to be dropped, always a chance of a big sub appearance....) :(

Yeah disgusted with that Boulahrouz thing as well. Have him as my sub so if Villa doesn't play those 6 points would have been nice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Pavluchenko is missing a lot of chances and I need these goals and Russia keeping a clean sheet doesnt help

Lads, I can'ye give a fook about the fantasy today. Spain just won me 500 notes!

Lads, I can'ye give a fook about the fantasy today. Spain just won me 500 notes!

oh wow what was the bet?

oh wow what was the bet?

Accumulator with Paddy Power. Picked Croatia, Germany, Holland, Italy and Spain to win. Wacked €11 on it for a return of €512. A few close shaves, but we got there in the end :).

I would imagine though that my Fantasy team has plummeted today. Arshavin the only redeeming player for it.

Good going on the bet charlie. Maybe you should treat yourself to some expensive Spanish wine. ;)

Had a good day today in the league. I'm up to 36 which is my highest position yet. Casillas and Villa didn't play but the Pavster helped me out with his goal and bringing in the Russian defender Kolodin was a good move as they kept a clean sheet.

I'm way too far behind to have a chance of topping the table but I'm hoping to break into the top 20. Next round should be interesting.

From now on,nearly everybody will have the same side or most fo the players the same.

titan18 wrote: »
    From now on,nearly everybody will have the same side or most fo the players the same.

Agreed. It will more or less be captaincy's that set teams apart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

my russian players did well for me tonight so Zenit St Tallaght get up to 18th, i think the title is a little out of my reach now but am confident of a Champions League spot.

If only Pavelsheunko and Arshavin were a little more lethal infront of goal, i seriously think if Progreback had of been fit Russia could of won this tournament... I know there out yet but still.

Woot! I just ahd a look at my fantasy for the day, and despite raking in a measly 33 points for the match-week, I rose 5 places to no.30, and I won my head to head, so I top my group!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭genericgoon

Okay put the new look Rolly United together for the QFs. With Rolly United currently occupying top position in 2 small private leagues, in the top 10 in a medium size one and in the Top 20 of the big one (boards league), the manager hopes to push on to challenge on all fronts as the tournament hots up.

Casillas
    Pranjic Pepe Van Bronckhorst Lahm
    C. Ronaldo Modric Sneijder(c)
    Podolski Pavyluchenko Villa

Sub: De Rossi

So a victory for the Dutch,the Spanish, the Croatians and either Portugal or Germany would do fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Went from bottom of my group (Group of Death TM) in the head-to-head to top after today's game.

Was on the same points differential as the second guy but came first on the head-to-head.

Woot:D:D:D

I am going for a goalkeeper and back 3 of portugal,

its a big gamble but if they get a clean sheet im set

a spanish front two

2 croatian midfielders (modric,srna)

and 3 attacking dutch sneijder, RVN, Robben

So basically gambling on the 4 results if they go my way i should do very well

2nd in the league! Get in there!

No idea what I'm gonna do for the quarters, those decisions will be made later whne I get down off this high. Come on!

2nd in the league! Get in there!

No idea what I'm gonna do for the quarters, those decisions will be made later whne I get down off this high. Come on!

ha congrats xavi6,
    you have the time?:eek::eek:

I do next to nothing in work all day so plan on spending an hour or so of the afternoon weighing up injuries, suspensions and various other factors before choosing my team.

Be good to go into the Premier League season on the back of a win here!

Well this is proving very difficult. I've too much money!

Trying to weed out the shite defences and there's an awful lot of them. Spain, Italy, Germany, Holland, Russia and Turkey have all been dodgy. That leaves the Portuguese and the Croats. The Croats are probably the best shout as the Germans have more fire power than the Turks.

Midfield is fairly set but I don't like the idea of my attackers playing against my defenders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

Done the same thing, I have an amazing midfield and attack but my defense and goalkeeper are rubbish. Put it this way, I need Croatia to keep a clean sheet :D.

Just to let anyone know who's thinking of picking Srna, he is an injury doubt for the Turkey game. He's expected to play but it's questionable whether he'll last the full ninety. I think I'll be leaving him out.

I'm happy with how my team selection is going but I realise I'm going to have to leave out my old mate Pavlyuchenko. Ah well. :pac:

• Advertisement

Yeah it's a sad day when the Pavster needs to be dropped. I am contemplating Arshavin though purely based on his ability to create chances and goals. Really don't wanna drop Akinfeev either considering how well he's done for me.

OK got my team sorted. It's largely reliant upon the Croatians not conceding against the Turks and some Dutch/Spanish firepower. Only picked two Germans because while I fancy them to beat the Portuguese, I still think it's a very tough one to call.

Pletikosa

Pranjic
    Corluka
    Capdevila

Ballack
    Sneijder
    Modric
    Iniesta

Villa (c)
    Klose
    Van Nistelrooy

Sub: Van Bronckhorst

So I'm counting on wins for Germany, Croatia, Holland and Spain.

The German defence is just too dodgy the rule out a Portugeuse goal so I'm looking to include Ronaldo.

At the moment, and subject to some changes, I have -

Akinfeev Pletikosa

Corluka
    Pranjic
    Pepe Capdevilla

Ballack
    Ronaldo
    Sneijder
    Modric Robben

Villa
    Podolski
    Arshavin Van Persie

Sub: Sergio Ramos

Might end up getting rid of the Russians in favour of another Spaniard and someone else. Don't fancy the Italians much without the creative influence of Pirlo and their forwards have hardly impressed.

The head says wins for Croatia, Spain and Holland anyway, with the other tie being a close one.

My head is melted!!!

EDIT: Mind changed already!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,592 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

LOL I just seen there is a 'consolation knock out stage' in the head to head for you losers who didnt come in the top 2 of your groups.

I got an Italian in the real QF's in my head to head comp

Lol at the 'Losers Comp'.

I'm at home to a Saudi lad. Confidence is high after absolutely raping our group.

13th best player in Australia now too :cool:

Up to 12th curtosy of Captain Pav and 9 points out of 9 in head to head.

Must start looking at QF team now.

• Advertisement

I dont think the teams for QF stage will be as similar as everyone seems to think. With the extra budget and extra number of players allowed from each team there are plenty of options.

Some tough decisions. Really didn't want to drop Pavlychenko, I'm still thinking of including him. I have 4 Croatians as I think they're the only sure bet out of these quarters (well, people will argue Holland vs Russia but I don't think that's a cert for the Dutch).
    So far, but subject to many changes:

Casillas

Corluka
    Pranjic
    Van Bronckhorst

Ronaldo
    Sneijder
    Modric
    Ballack

Van Nistelrooy
    Villa
    Klasnic

Sub: Pepe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,703 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Woo, up to 8th place. Got lucky with that too, 3 of my players didn't even play and my captain got 2 points. Back to the drawing board now for the quarters. Croatia are probably the safest bet for a clean sheet. The Por-Ger and Spa-Ita are very much good attack vs good defense. I think the Holland Russia game will be the most open attacking fixture.

I'd say a lot of people are gonna go with the Ronaldo----Ballack----Modric----Sneijder midfield, or at least three of them.

Such a pity though that Arshavin is classed as a striker.

Thought it was a bit silly giving people the extra money, it only increases the likelihood of similar teams imo, at least in areas such as midfield.

I really wasn't trying to maximise my cash, but look at who I think will get their results (i.e. defenders+keeper), who will put in a performance, and having one or two players that few others will select. Therefore, the Yankees have now drafted the following:

Pletikosa

Pranjic
    Corluka
    Van Bronckhorst

----Robben
    Sneijder
    Turan
    Ronaldo

Torres
    Toni(C)
    Klose

Now I know people probably think I am mad selecting Toni, and putting my captaincy on him, but like I said, I reckon few others will do the same, and now is the time to make these gambles. Also, he has created a fair few chances for himself, it's just his finishing has let him down. The Spanish defence has looked very ropey, and they give away a lot of set pieces, so I reckon he will get a fair few chances. It's just whether he can sharpen his toolbox and finish them.

Same logic behind Turan.

Didn't think so many others would also back the Croats defensively. I thought given the extra money, people would make glamour signings. Oh well.
    ISuch a pity though that Arshavin is classed as a striker.

+1 Although I am hoping he will fly under the radar so King Kev can snap him up.

• Advertisement

Thought it was a bit silly giving people the extra money, it only increases the likelihood of similar teams imo, at least in areas such as midfield.

I really wasn't trying to maximise my cash, but look at who I think will get their results (i.e. defenders+keeper), who will put in a performance, and having one or two players that few others will select. Therefore, the Yankees have now drafted the following:

Pletikosa

Pranjic
    Corluka
    Van Bronckhorst

----Robben
    Sneijder
    Turan
    Ronaldo(C)

Torres
    Toni(C)
    Klose

Now I know people probably think I am mad selecting Toni, and putting my captaincy on him, but like I said, I reckon few others will do the same, and now is the time to make these gambles. Also, he has created a fair few chances for himself, it's just his finishing has let him down. The Spanish defence has looked very ropey, and they give away a lot of set pieces, so I reckon he will get a fair few chances. It's just whether he can sharpen his toolbox and finish them.

Same logic behind Turan.

Didn't think so many others would also back the Croats defensively. I thought given the extra money, people would make glamour signings. Oh well.

+1 Although I am hoping he will fly under the radar so King Kev can snap him up.

Ronaldo and Toni as capt? I like!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

I'd say a lot of people are gonna go with the Ronaldo----Ballack----Modric----Sneijder midfield, or at least three of them.

Such a pity though that Arshavin is classed as a striker.

that, or the bolder Ronaldo----Ballack----Modric----Kuyt midfield :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

congrats xavi so far!! i've changed mine so often i've nigh on worn out the mouse:mad: here's how it looks
    casillas
    capdevilla ramos kovac corluka
    sneijder modric deco robben
    van niselrooy podolski torres
    hope robben starts!!!

KevIRL wrote: »
    Ronaldo and Toni as capt? I like!

My bad, fixed.

My team is
    Pletikosa

Lahm Ramos/Pranjic Pepe

Ronaldo(C) Ballack Modric Sneijder

Villa Van Nistelrooy Pavlyuchenko(I dont want to drop him)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

Pletikosa
    Grosso,Pranjic, Pepe
    Ronaldo (C), Modric,Ballack,Sneijder
    Arshavin,Nistelrooy,Villa

Sub: Anyukov

Subject to last minute change of mind

I really don't want to put all my eggs in one Craotian basket by picking four of their players but I'm stumped.

I really don't want to put all my eggs in one Craotian basket by picking four of their players but I'm stumped.

I was the same. In the end I went for it, but I thought having goalkeeper and two defenders was too risky so I went two defenders/midfielder/striker. If Turkey score a goal you're talking the loss of 12 points.

Yeah I have two Croat defenders but one's gonna go. Was gonna stick with Boulahrouz but after what happened his missus I don't know if his head will be right. Mightn't even play now.

Yeah I have two Croat defenders but one's gonna go. Was gonna stick with Boulahrouz but after what happened his missus I don't know if his head will be right. Mightn't even play now.

What happened? I totally missed that. Was thinking of sticking him in earlier.

• Advertisement
Advertisement