Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

IMPORTANT RE: Euro 2008 Fantasy Football

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭genericgoon

So, I assume most people have highly backed the Dutch for tonight at least offensively. Have Sneijder as captain so hoping for big things there and then V Bronckhorst aswell. Also, couldn't bring myself to get rid of Pavy.So at least if he scores, the loss of Gio's clean sheet wouldn't be too bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

So, I assume most people have highly backed the Dutch for tonight at least offensively. Have Sneijder as captain so hoping for big things there and then V Bronckhorst aswell. Also, couldn't bring myself to get rid of Pavy.So at least if he scores, the loss of Gio's clean sheet wouldn't be too bad.

Three Dutch (Gio, Sneijder, RVN) and a Russian (Pav).

I had originally dropped Pav but brought him back with my wildcard when Klasnic didn't play last night (and how that worked out :( )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Seems a lot of people went with Van Bronckhorst. I have him too and I'm mulling over whether to use him or not. I've a feeling the Russians will score which would make including him a waste. Decisions, decisions...

He does get forward a bit though. I can't really think of any team in the remaining QFs whom I'd trust to get a cleansheet anyways. Spain would be the best bet but we've seen how dodgy that defense can be already.

Looks like my descion to keep the Pavster paid off. :D And Sneijder got the assist so having him as captain turned out ok.

I was going to retain the Pavster but I figured I'd be letting sentiment get the better of me. D'oh. :rolleyes:

Still, Ruud got a goal for me and Sneijder's assist was welcome too. I'm mainly chuffed though that I didn't use Gio Van Bronckhorst. Really bad defensive performance from the Dutch. I hope a few teams ahead of me had some Dutch players...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

I had Arshavin as captain, an assist, a goal and a MOM :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Feckin Dutch. The Sneijder/Rudd combo really saved me. 4 of us within 8 points of each other at the top of the league now.

Boards league up to 5th best :cool:

Delighted I brought back the Pavstar, himself and Arshavin' are certs for my semi team regardless of who wins today. Between him and the Ruud/Sneijder combination it's picked me up after two crappy quarters.

Into 9th, but too far off the top so might have to aim for top 6. Boards is 2nd now!

Winning my QF 38-21. I have Casillas and Villa to play, he has Ramos/Villa/Torres. If Torres doesn't have a blinder I should be safe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Juan Pablo

Goddam dutch & goddam Croats, down to 5th in the boards league now. Although that seems to be caused by the entry of a certain Mr De Bruijn into third in the boards league, obviously not content with leading our work league :) Only Villa left to play, Zambrotta is on my bench but wont start unless Villa gets run over by a French team bus before the match. Have a 21 point lead in my head to head but the other guy has Villa, Torres, Capdevilla and Fabregas in his team so might be a klose run thing.

• Advertisement

Yeah I noticed some n00b had overtaken me :mad:

Up to 2nd best league now. Some Spanish forum is on top.

Ireland is the best country as well, doesn't include me though cause I'm down as Australia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

Had Klasnic and wildcard olic the other day, Van Nistlerooy, Sneijder and Van Bronckhorst yesterday and still dropped down the table:( but town won so I dont give a hoot

Only Casillias, Villa and Fabregas remain!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

Got 4 on tonight; Casillas,Ramos,Capdevilla and Torres. Head to head against a scot who's two points ahead of me with only Villa on. I reckon i should outscore him:cool: iIve given up on the boards.ie league(69) but want to break into top 5 on reapers. Viva espagna

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭sionnach

Right, time for an all german back four and keeper i think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Germany & Spain for the semis.

All my eggs on those two.

Going to be hard to gain places now with everyone pretty much going for the same team.

kaimera wrote: »
    Germany & Spain for the semis.

All my eggs on those two.

I reckon the Russia-Spain game could be highscoring so maybe a few offensive Russians for me.

Yeah gonna have one or two attacking Russians. No Turks for me though.

7 points off top spot so I need a good selection with my captain.

5th out of over 11,500 in Australia now.

I'm in 33rd position. My decision to have Villa as captain was a disaster. It got me a measly 2 points. To think I was going to stick it on Ballack at the start of the week. Dear oh dear. :o

Next round will be very interesting. Not sure if I will go with any Russians or not. The Turks surely haven't a chance in hell. I'm winning 43-20 in my head-to-head so it looks like I'll be up against some English guy in the semi-final. Still hoping I'll break into the top 20 for the Boards league.

• Advertisement

So, are we into having unlimited players from one team yet? Or is it still 4?

It's going to be tricky picking a defence. Spain v Russia will be a cracking game and I'd be surprised if either kept a clean sheet. Turkey are decimated with injuries and suspensions but the Germans have been less than solid at the back.

Watch out Xavi, only three places behind you :pac:

Think it's 8 players per team, then you can go 12 for the final. I've 6 Germans at the mo anyway.

You won't catch me! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,703 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Damn, down to 16th now (though it's only 10 points to 5th :) )

Playing around with my team now. Not a whole lot of choices tbh. I've 6 Germans, 3 Spanish and 3 Russians.

It's not as fun when the choices become so limited.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

It's not as fun when the choices become so limited.

That is so true.I can only see one keeper to pick,6 defenders,3 midfielders and theres a good lot of forwards that I want

Damn it, they have Zhirkov down as a midfielder. Doesn't he play left-back? I wanted to put him in because I figure, if Russia don't keep a clean sheet then he has a better chance of any other defender to get an assist. He really bombs down the wing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Juan Pablo

And here come the Germans !!!!1!1!

(Turkey had better not score :p)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Juan Pablo wrote: »
    And here come the Germans !!!!1!1!

(Turkey had better not score :p)

+1
    Entire German defence and keeper.... :p

LOL I've a ton of Germans too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,703 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Hmm, wonder will anyone put in 3/4 Turkish players. If Turkey beat the Germans they'd rocket to the top of the table :-) Big gamble though.

So has everyone pretty much made their mind up for their teams? I think I have but I'm just going to run over it in my head one more time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Stargal

Any suggestions for who to make captain? Would Arshavin be too much of a risk? Maybe Klose or Ballack would be a safer bet?

And sorry for just jumping in on the thread when I'm not even in the boards league, I'm just looking for some advice on this cos I really can't make up my mind...

Edit: Ok, just joined the league now but it's not going to include me until after the next points are added - not that I'm going to be troubling the leaders by the looks of things!

Stargal wrote: »
    Any suggestions for who to make captain? Would Arshavin be too much of a risk? Maybe Klose or Ballack would be a safer bet?

Well I think I'm going to put my captaincy on a midfielder this time so I think I'll be going with Ballack. With Arshavin's form though it wouldn't be a bad decision as he's been dangerous so many times already.

So has everyone pretty much made their mind up for their teams? I think I have but I'm just going to run over it in my head one more time.

Still not 100% sure. I have it open now, pondering. I think I might give Podolski the nod for captaincy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I have Fabregas as my captain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,391 ✭✭✭Invincible

Stargal wrote: »

And sorry for just jumping in on the thread when I'm not even in the boards league, I'm just looking for some advice on this cos I really can't make up my mind...

Edit: Ok, just joined the league now but it's not going to include me until after the next points are added - not that I'm going to be troubling the leaders by the looks of things!

Welcome aboard Stargal.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Stargal

Well I think I'm going to put my captaincy on a midfielder this time so I think I'll be going with Ballack. With Arshavin's form though it wouldn't be a bad decision as he's been dangerous so many times already.
    titan18 wrote: »
    I have Fabregas as my captain
    Went for Ballack in the end; think it makes sense to have a German player, plus if he scores there'll be more points than if it was Klose.
    Invincible wrote: »
    Welcome aboard Stargal.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

Backed the Turks to the hilt. My goalkeeper, and all 4 defenders, are Turkish. Klose as captain, and a few Ruskis thrown in there. No Spanish upfront. It all means I have about €25 million in the bank :D.

I am presently sitting 32 in the boards league, and if I want to finish top 10, I reckon I need a team few others will have. That's why I have gone for such an unorthodox approach.

Have many people included Schweinsteiger?

I have Schweiney! Here's my new team:

Lehman

Lahm
    Metzelder
    Mertesacker

Ballack
    Fabregas
    Schweinsteiger
    Zhirkov

Villa (c)
    Podolski
    Pavster

Sub: Anyukov

I've just now realised I f*cked up by forgetting to change my captaincy to Ballack. Villa only earned me 2 lousy points last time! F*cking hell. :(

It's too late to change it now I think. Bollocks anyway!

I have a feeling this early Turkish goal will fcuk me over. The Germans will now go hell for leather to equalise.

Schweiney! He must have heard you charlie! :D

• Advertisement

There goes that dream. At least I have Pig farmer.

sionnach wrote: »
    Right, time for an all german back four and keeper i think

whoops :(

Aye, MNG, he must have indeed.

Now banking on Klose to score 4 or 5. Not asking much is it?

Feck, only realised now that it was Boral that put the Turks in the lead. That softens the blow slightly.

Most people's plans must be in ruins by now. I had 32 points ten minutes ago, then 14, now it's at 23. Madness.

Most people's plans must be in ruins by now. I had 32 points ten minutes ago, then 14, now it's at 23. Madness.

Yeah. Points have been up and down like a yoyo. Presently sitting on 27. Looking for Schwiney, Altintop, or Klose to pull a rabbit out of the hat. That or Rustu to score from his own box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Schweinsteiger is my el capitan. Pity about my back 4 though. At least Podolski got an assist

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

Aye, MNG, he must have indeed.

Now banking on Klose to score 4 or 5. Not asking much is it?

haha i'm in the same boat. stuck Klose as my captain reckon he's due a goal or two. again though it looks like he cant keep up with podolski's breaks

Gutted I got rid of Klose. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

Theres Klose :(

Also, looks like the Fantasy Football crew chalked the goal up for the wrong team, all my German defenders just lost a point!!

Advertisement