Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quintana Roo

Options
  • 31-05-2008 11:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭

Thinking about purchasing a Quintana Roo Seduza from cyclelogical on the quays - http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.aspx?Cat=cycle&ProdID=5360034887

Anyone have any experience of the quintana roo brand and could give me some feedback on the quality. I'd be using it for the occasional tri-race but also for everyday treks and was wondering if it would be practical for this purpose. I know it is probably not the most comfortable bike but I would be more worried about build quality. I have heard some horror stories about carbon frames, i.e. easy to crack, not as stong as alloy etc.

Any insite would be appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,963 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Looks a tad too fast for everyday stuff. Is that not a Time Trial bike?
    :rolleyes:

• Subscribers Posts: 16,582 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

they have a great name as tri bikes, but doesn't sound like thats what you need. Sounds like you need a standard road bike if it is mostly for normal spins..

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭snack_ie

I'd buy a road bike if I were you to be honest... from the sound of it you dont sound to 'into' triathlon so the difference between a tri bike and a road would probably be little.
    That's alot of money use to buy something for a 'few tri's' and 'few treks' (elaborate) here and then. You see alot of people on 'bling' bikes and they dont really make much difference (but you can obviously spend your money on what you want!)
    But I may be wrong in your case?

I recently changed from a road bike to tri bike, cause I couldnt afford to have both. Personally I'd prefer have a road bike to train on, a tri bike is not as practical (cycling in groups, comfort etc etc)...
    Anyway, that's just my two cents.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

As snack_ie said, also QRs are terrible in the wind tunnel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

For everyday treks it would be pretty awful. Have you ridden a time-trail bike before?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

Agree with the guys too. I bought a tri bike, mostly because it looked cool. Unfortunatly it didn't feel as cool and the novelty quickly wore off. I'm on a hybrid now and thoroughly enjoying my spins more.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

As everyone else has said, unless it is specifically 100% for tri/TT use, get a standard road bike. Especially if this is a first bike. You can get clip-on aerobars which will give you a good position for the triathlons, although ultimately the engine you clip on the bike will have more effect.

I wouldn't worry about carbon, almost all higher-end road bikes are make of it these days. It's strong stuff, it doesn't just crack/break easily. I have cracked a carbon frame myself but that was a head-on collision at speed high enough to bend the alloy steerer of my fork; a metal frame would almost certainly have bent badly at least.

Having said that, if you are going to be flying to competitions you might feel more comfortable with an alloy frame (or get a good box to travel with.)

Advertisement