Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for Great Dane Pup? Rescue?

Options
  • 31-05-2008 11:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22

Hi Everyone,

After months of thought and research, we have decided that we would love to get a great dane pup. We have a house in the country, with a secure 1 acre garden, so plenty of room!

I know great dane pups cost 500-1000 euros to buy, but was wondering if there is such a thing as adopting great danes that need to be rehomed? I would much rather donate my money to a Rescue Centre than give it to a breeder that breeds pups for money and not love....

Thank you!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭cobweb

check out pets Ireland people there could help with advice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭lorna100

check on irish animals too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

I'd say a great dane pup in rescue would be highly unlikely but of course not impossible. would you not consider a more plentiful breed/type? could be easier to find on in rescue if you had more options. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭hadook

Whereabouts are you? There are two Dane rescues that I know of - one in the North and one in the midlands.

Dane puppies do come up in rescue but you're more likely to see adolescent Danes looking for homes. Personally, I'd get an adolescent if I were doing it again (my dane as a pup trashed the place :D ) but that's my personal choice.

The size of your garden is fairly moot with a Dane - they don't tend to like being far from their people and much prefer a life spent on the couch beside you until it's time for walks. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 laura_tcb

Thank you all for your replies.

I am in County Meath and I do not mind if it is a pup or adolescent dane that I adopt - I am so happy that it is possible to rescue one! Can you tell me where abouts the rescue centres are? I couldnt seem to find anything online....

Thanks so much

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Aimee_gleeson

http://www.irishgreatdanerescue.net/

Number in Antrim and Cork there! Not sure about the midlands one thou maybe hadook will get back to you on that ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 entershikarisim

:oHi, i recently got a great dane pup (a week ago) and shes so lovely! I don't think you'll be able to find many in rescue, what with them being so expensive and all (ours was 1000 euro !) but there are a few breeders around. They are very boisterous at this age and need supervision 24/7 but its very worth it, cos shes lovely!
    do get one, you wont regret it.... =]
    heres a pic of our lil one...miawz3.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Lolalane

There is a member on irishdogs.ie that has a dane rescue, as far as I know she has 9 to rehome at the moment ranging from 7months to 4/5yrs

Advertisement