Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VRO Questions

Options
  • 31-05-2008 12:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭

Hey folks,

A couple of questions for those who have went to the VRO office and payed the wonderful thing known as VRT.

Can you just show up with the form filled out, the registration book, receipt of purchase and the payment ready or do you need to make an appointment first? I'm aware that they don't accept cash and there is a 1500 euro limit on Lazer transactions, although I don't have a Lazer card :)

Do they issue you with the new registration right there on the spot? As far as I know you have to display your new plates within 3 days so I'm assuming they give you the reg there and then, rather than making you wait a week or two and sending it via the post?

Do they give you some sort of registration certificate in the office? I contacted a few garages about getting plates printed and they said I'd need to produce ID and a copy of the registration document before they would do it. I'm just thinking this could be hard if I have to wait a few weeks for that to arrive. I don't know if the VRO give you anything when you pay VRT that the garage would accept?

How long do you have to spend at the VRO office when you show up? I'm thinking of going to the Santry VRO.

Anyway I'm guessing some of you have been through this, so if you could shed some light, it would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Can you just show up with the form filled out, the registration book, receipt of purchase and the payment ready
    yes.
    or do you need to make an appointment first?
    no
    Do they issue you with the new registration right there on the spot?
    yes
    Do they give you some sort of registration certificate in the office?
    no, just a receipt with reg no. reg document comes in post from shannon when you apply for first tax disc.
    I don't know if the VRO give you anything when you pay VRT that the garage would accept?
    halfords accet the vro receipt anyway.
    How long do you have to spend at the VRO office when you show up? I'm thinking of going to the Santry VRO.
    santry has been max 1 hour for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭spuddy

...Can you just show up with the form filled out, the registration book, receipt of purchase and the payment ready or do you need to make an appointment first? I'm aware that they don't accept cash and there is a 1500 euro limit on Lazer transactions, although I don't have a Lazer card :)...

If paying by cheque, you'll need to write your RSI number on the back.
    They also accept bank drafts, but this obviously requires some more effort on your part.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,317 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I contacted a few garages about getting plates printed and they said I'd need to produce ID and a copy of the registration document before they would do it.
    Most motor factors will be able to order plates for you. AFAIK, no ID is required.

If you're in dublin, there is a factors on Dorset St., near the junction with Blessington St / Nth Frederick St (Renauto?) that has a very wide selection of plates available. Be aware that some of these are not road legal though. There is no legal font, but there are regulations as to stroke width, character size, gaps etc. You may want to be creative and still be legal!

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

As far as I know now, they require your PPS number no matter what way you pay the VRT. Although their website states it's only required for cheques.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,317 ✭✭✭✭Esel

As far as I know now, they require your PPS number no matter what way you pay the VRT. Although their website states it's only required for cheques.
    Yep, it's so they can identify small-time traders.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement

That's good to know. I kind of assumed it was just some sort of Big Brother type surveillance thingy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

And you don't actually need a receipt for what you paid for the car, since they've already made up a number themselves in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭zzzzzzzz

Can you just show up with the form filled out,

Where's this form? I couldn't find it on ros.ie

I think this is it. Scroll down the page and about half way down you will see a link to VRT 4 - Declaration for registration of a used vehicle (Other than a motor cycle) new-window-icon.png (PDF 92KB)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭zzzzzzzz

Nice one. Thanks

• Advertisement
Advertisement