Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rock Band Drums - model number check!

• 31-05-2008 12:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,009 ✭✭✭✭

Check which model number you have here.

I assumed we'd be getting the revised QM or SL model numbers, but obviously not!

Mine (which I bought in Gamestop yesterday) is an EL model. Bought just the drums set, not the instrument pack!

Everyone else care to report theirs just as a matter of interest!
    These pads are regarded as the first version of drums and the least sensitive. The travel between the pad and the sensor is large and can have a tendency to deteriorate with play. Fast rolls are picked up better on an EL model due to sensor damping, but can require harder hits, which in turn causes dented heads. The EL also has a bad tendency of not registering all hits.

Wonderful! :(

EDIT: For those with an EL model, there are little tricks and mods available to improve sensitivity such as:

The Nickel Mod (a 50c piece would probably work just as well!)

The Sock Mod

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Mine are QM.
    edit - Bought in Zavvi and came in the instrument pack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,009 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Cheers Makavelli. Lucky fecker.. definitely meant to be better alright (in terms of sensitivity).

Unless the QM come only in the instrument pack. Keep those model numbers coming lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

where do find that model number??

CKWPORT wrote: »
    where do find that model number??
    Shows you how to in the link in my initial post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

I have the EL model too. Bought them seperately in XV.
    Looks like we got the cast offs :( lol

• Advertisement

Crap...have the EL Model too....

Not Good....was thinking they didnt pick up everything....Bought them seperately from gamestop

Lot of money for castoffs......

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,645 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I have EL model too. Bought in Zavvi. Pi$sed off at this.

Im going to email harmonix.

faceman wrote: »
    I have EL model too. Bought in Zavvi. Pi$sed off at this.

Im going to email harmonix.
    Let us know how you get on.. but the problem is despite the fact that the EL model have slight problems, they've never been discontinued or taken off the market.

All of the models each have their own problems.. except for the newest model (SL) which is quite new and if they do have any problems, haven't been discovered yet.

I didn't notice dropped beats until I was playing 'Epic' by Faith No More and when I hitting the red and yellow together, it wouldn't pick up me hitting the red every so often. Even though I was hitting them with the same precision and power each time.

Not happy about this either....But i dont think there is a whole lot we can do...

I have noticed the missed beats problem too, and i wanted to get drum pad mufflers too to limit the noise, and they are not recommended for the EL models and it will make the missing notes problem worse...

Let us know how that email goes anyways....

Just Read this here;
    http://www.rockbanddrumsoft.com/?gclid=CO6yiKfl2pMCFQ88QwodHHs8Zw

"We have also found that out of a testing group of 10 drum sets, all but 2 of the EL models began to lose sensitivity after several months. Harmonix and Rock Band have been very generous in their return policy for these drums and have offered to replace them"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Blood-Martyr

Just checked , I got a EL model too.

My Yellow pads seems to have gone to the ****e too..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭cedomination

Sh*t! I have an EL and I bought it seperately in Gamestop.
    I always found that I had to hit them in the centre to make it register :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,528 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

If cedomination is right, then I don't even have to look - I have EL too.
    I have to hit the pad within 2 inches of center to register.
    I'll confirm when I get home.

Edit: Yup... EL.
    Gamestop standalone drums.

it seems there might be 2 versions of the EL drums...the 1st ELs and new better ELs!!!

i dont know if this is true or not yet...

Read it in the RockBand technical support forum...waiting on word on how to identify the old from the new now...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭grimm2005

I have the EL version, came in the instrument pack from HMV grafton st.

I did notice missing some of the double beats when i coulda sworm i hit em at the same time although i kinda put that down to me sucking at the drums :p

Just wondering,what are we meant to do?
    Bring them back to the shops?

I dunno!
    I wouldnt bring mine back unless it breaks or is missing loads of beats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

I got QM drums..Bought the instrument pack in Xtra-Vision in the Blanchardstown SC. It definitely looking like you get QM drums with the instrument pack only. :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,636 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Bought the instrument pack in Zavvi Blanchardstown today - QM pads by the looks of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭NunianVonFuch

EL bought Drums Only in Gamestop Liffey st. Really need to get sound mufflers but since they're EL the sensitivity will be feckered. Slightly OT: You dont need the box to return them if they go bad do you?

• Advertisement

Really need to get sound mufflers but since they're EL the sensitivity will be feckered.

You could use the sock mod???

Has anyone actually tried the sock mod??????

i put some scotch tape on the red drum now it seems to be working fine.

I saw the sock mod but.... I'm superficial so I ordered from Premium Rock Band Drum Covers. After checking out the nickel mod posted here I reckon they should do the job and if the sensitivity goes I can through down a 50cent or two and she'll be back in business. I'll post again when I receive the covers to say how well they work with the EL brand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Cully

Well I'm kind of annoyed.... I got an EL in Gamestop Henry Street on release day. Full pack. I have the problem with random misses and I've tried the coin mod and it doesn't seem to help. One way to test is to find some song that has a section with a lot of beats on one drum, then go to practise and set only that section and put it on 90% so you don't hear the music. Mod it, then test the pads...

For an EL, I wouldn't recommend anything that'll dampen the sound... It'll kill your pad sensitivity. I'm still trying to figure out the best way to fix these stupid things... I'm gonna play around with it some more later and maybe switch the green sensor with another colour seeing as that's the one you get most rolls on.

Also... My bass pedal snapped in the middle. I've read a lot of reviews and they said stuff about not "if" it breaks... "when" it breaks.... Although, they do say that it only breaks if you play it on hard or expert. Mine is currently splinted together with 2 metal chopsticks and tape. I will buy the metal reinforcement off amazon as I hear that's very good.

On that note.. have you noticed that they've modded the broken pedal in HMV Henry Street with Cardboard, and just sellotaped it in HMV Grafton? That's a good advertisement for the game. "Buy this and it'll break in 2 weeks"

Sock mod is only good on QM models. It'll make the ELs worse.
    if the sensitivity goes I can through down a 50cent or two and she'll be back in business. I'll post again when I receive the covers to say how well they work with the EL brand.

I doubt the ELs will improve with covers.

It's typical though about the 50c.. You have to pay a lot for the game, then pay a lot for the controllers, then pay a lot (€160 ish) for all the downloads... and now you have to pay more in order to mod it... Typical :/

I saw the sock mod but.... I'm superficial so I ordered from Premium Rock Band Drum Covers.

Same as that, I haven't tried the sock mod either, I look stupid enough already playing those drums without taping socks to it....

Cully wrote: »

I doubt the ELs will improve with covers.

Theres a comparitive review of the different covers up on the Rock Band forums done by Cenachaingang54. So I just ordered the ones he used with the ELs. They're not going to get increased sensitivity with covers but since you can tie them down to the cover of the drum you shouldn't lose much. :cool: Heres a link:
    http://www.rockband.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47272

Plus playing without muffling the sound isn't really an option for me.

Also they sound like coconuts wtf???

where did you order the drum mufflers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

The rubber gum pads are meant to be the best supposedly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭faigs

Mine are EL's and I bought just the drum package in Virgin on Times Square, NY last week. :(

• Advertisement

where did you order the drum mufflers?

I ordered from:
    http://web.mac.com/tapin2/rockband/Premium_Rock_Band_Drum_Covers.html

Review comparing all the types of mufflers:
    http://www.rockband.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49835

Advertisement