Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am I entitled to a refund of deposit?

Options
  • 31-05-2008 2:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭

I recently booked a hotel for a group booking of 6 twin rooms and paid a deposit of €360.We had to cancel 2 days prior to when we were supposed to go.

Now the hotel will not give me my depost back.They said they told me that they would be keeping the deposit encase we decided to rebook at a different date.I have nothing in writing that they said this.

Am I entitled under law to get a full refund?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

My understanding is that if you change your mind you are not entitled to a refund (same as making a purchase).

when was the booking for? Chances are the hotel refused other bookings on the basis that you have booked a room so they're not at a loss, this is their way of recouping some of the money.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I wouldnt have thought you are entitled to it back, and I think that them allowing you to use it at another time is a nice courtesy that they may not have to do. If the deposit was for a physical thing, you certainly wouldnt be entitled to anything back as the deposit constitutes an agreement to complete the sale.

Im sure different hotels have different t&cs. I know some take cc details and state you will be charged for the room if you cancel less than 24hours before arrival. Some take deposits as security and the refund policy will vary. Sounds like you have come up against their refund policy, if they have a website, see if its stated there.

Oh, and if you happen to have travel insurance see if it covers you for this cancellation.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭LadyTBolt

Hotels usually have a cancellation policy. Most hotels refund your full deposit up to a few days before the arrival and the percentage cancellation fee increases closer to the arrival date.

To be fair you should have checked the hotels cancellation policy at the time of booking and received this in writing if it is not published by them. If they have a website check the cancellation policy on it. It would be worth a letter to the National Consumer Agency to get hotels to notify consumers of their cancellation policy at time of booking. €360 is alot to lose for room bookings which were cancelled a couple of days in advance!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Generally, deposits can be non refundable. I am no expert on hotels though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

As LadyTBolt said, you should look at the cancellation policy of the hotel. They have the right to not refund your booking if they have not given you the right to cancel under their policies or unless you had some prior arrangement that you could cancel thus becoming part of the contract of sale.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

What were the Terms and Conditions under which you made the booking? This should have been supplied to you in writing or communicated to you at the time of booking.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Moanin wrote: »
    We had to cancel 2 days prior to when we were supposed to go.
    Most places have a policy of if you cancel 2 weeks beforehand, you get your deposit back, as they can usually still fill the rooms. 2 days... nope, no such luck. It is nice of them to allow you to use the money for a later booking though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

Was the reservation made with the hotel itself or through a travel website? If it was the latter then it was actually a 'reservation fee' for using the website rather than a deposit and as such the hotel will never have received the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭shoegirl

If you paid in full it wouldn't be a deposit. It depends on the terms you agreed to when you made the reservation. They are not obliged to give you anything back if you cancel at short notice. They often fill up and have to turn away other bookings, I can understand this position.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Some hotels refund in full up to 48 hours. Some make you forfeit the first nights stay and refund the rest. Whatever their policy was, it should have been communicated to you.

Learn a lesson here, never book a hotel without knowing their cancellation policy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Check the cancellation policy. The majority of hotels let you cancel without penalty until 24 hrs or less before your arrival on most rates. If it was a 'special' rate, this may not be the case however.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭MysticalSoul

I used to work for a well known hotel chain, and when I worked there, different properties had different cancellation policies. 48 hours for some, and up to 12pm the day of arrival for others (although if there was a rugby weekend coming up, it could sometimes vary, and likewise for some other special event weekends). If not cancelled within that period of time, we would usually just charge the equivalent of the first nights stay, however as this is a block booking (ie more than one room), it would be the first nights rate per room. Did you book with the hotel directly, group reservations department, or a central reservation department?

Advertisement