Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway Nazis

Options
  • 31-05-2008 4:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭

I see that Galway resident anti-semetics have been moved from outside Lynchs Castle to outside Taafes, where their "Boycott Israeli Blood Diamonds" signs and flags are now higher and bigger.

Whilst I personally don't have a view on the whole Israeli/Palestinian situation (mainly due to my own ill informed ignorance), I don't see why this guy is allowed take over a section of the city street, making us all look like nazis.

Isn't his stand borderline "incitement to hatred"?

Or am I just being stupid?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

I wouldn't say that anti-Israel/pro-Palestine protests are necessarily anti Semetic as such. Galway Nazis is a bit strong a phrase to use. Do they have any sort of Nazi flags or propoganda, or is it just the usual stop-killing-Palestinian-children stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

Anti Isreali government policy is not anti jewish, no more than calling for Bertie Ahern to resign is to be anti catholic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

So how does the "blood diamond" thing fit into government policy, when their trade is private companies and citizens? Is that not targeting the individual rather than the government? The reason I refer to it the way I do is because "Israeli", to me, denotes the people, wheras "Israel" denotes the government.

As for the term "blood diamond", it refers to the use of proceeds from diamond mining in several African countries being used to fund conflict, in some cases genocide. In other words, they sell the diamonds to buy weapons and power. They are also refered to as "conflict diamonds", but the use of the word blood has become the more popular thanks to Hollywood. Also, the term refers to stones from the early to mid 1990s onward, and are under international imbargo; it's illegal to trade in diamonds from these countries. As far as I am aware, Israel doesn't mine diamonds, although Tel Aviv is a trading centre. Most people of Jewish origin in the diamond trade can be found in the likes of Antwerp, London, and New York; none of the countries these are in mine diamonds either.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Those fu*ckers really make me sick. Standing on Shop St waving the Palestinian flag acting like they're pseudo martyrs. If they aren't moaning about the Palestine issue, its troops landing in Shannon or the fact the Brian Cowen isn't drinking 'fair trade' coffee with his breakfast. Underneath it all these people are attention seekers, it's about time they got real jobs and contributed something to society.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭tristanc

Always good when Godwin's Law is invoked at the very start of the thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

Er what? Nazis? That's a bit of a crazy connection you've made there.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

E for Effort OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

You having a laugh OP?
    Highlighting human rights violations by a government makes you a Nazi now? Or because that government happens to run a Jewish state, that makes him a Nazi?

I wonder about people sometimes...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Zzippy wrote: »
    You having a laugh OP?
    Highlighting human rights violations by a government makes you a Nazi now?

Fey believes that a nazi is a person who complains about industrial scale human rights violations where the victims are mainly arabs and also seemingly black africans ...seeming as the arabs produce feck all diamonds .

Otherwise he evidently would not have started this thread.

He will have his 'final solution' to shop st for us next week , this is only an outline suggestion/rant sort of thread :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭m83

9/10 rantage OP

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭john concannon

The preacher outside Zhivagos wouldn't be involvedwould he?If not I would like to see the Anti-Semetics-v- Preacher Dude in a discussion during the Arts Festival

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Mr Maroon

I'm not sure that they're Nazis but they are a pain in the arse and I don't see what gives them the right to cover the street with their flags and ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

i beta they dont shop at tesco those dam jew haters

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 sandybee

Yes, they're always on about antoglobalisation etc and yet the ringleader detta mcloughlin worked in Boots for many years. Obviously Boots are not a form of globalisation. The same English or Northern or American-accented crew are always on about issues that are not of our making but others. If they're so worried, let them fight the cause in their own countires.:eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

sandybee wrote: »
    The same English or Northern or American-accented crew are always on about issues that are not of our making but others. If they're so worried, let them fight the cause in their own countires.:eek:

Like fckin which bit of "global" do you not understand ??:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

I hate those twats supporting Palestine and yacking on, what about Israel and the daily missile bombardments it endures from Palestine, it works both ways but im on Israels side, i find it amazing that the Palestinians still attack Israel considering Israel controls what goes into Palestine look at the fuel as an example and so many people want to wipe out the Jewish state for what?? Iran springs to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Fey! wrote: »
    I see that Galway resident anti-semetics have been moved from outside Lynchs Castle to outside Taafes, where their "Boycott Israeli Blood Diamonds" signs and flags are now higher and bigger.

Whilst I personally don't have a view on the whole Israeli/Palestinian situation (mainly due to my own ill informed ignorance), I don't see why this guy is allowed take over a section of the city street, making us all look like nazis.

I would say you come off as quite pro-Jewish and anti-Arab. But maybe that's just me.
    Perhaps you should read up on the conflict more?

Steyr, you too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

504708764_1354f55ab6.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

pfft, you can use facts to prove anything.

israel ftw!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

Fey! wrote: »

To answer the last bit, yes. Thats a pretty crazy rant. You contradict yourself in two sentences - it seems you have some pretty strong views

Its unusual to hear the standard response from an Irish person that any oppostion to israeli government policy is somehow against the jewish religion, that they are somehow anti-semetic - I dont ever remember hearing them protest once against the jewish religion - or any religion. And that they are nazis - please! Thats insane.

Someone already made the analogy that opposition to the FF led goverment in this country would somehow be anti-catholic - equally nuts.

I've met some really nice people from Israel and dont give a rats ass what religion a person is but the israeli government is a truely dreadful one.

And steyr - get a grip - when did Iran state it wanted to wipe out the jewish state - it has certainly stated it wanted to see an end to the zionist government which is akin to the fall of the soviet union. Of course the US media twisted the bejesus out of that one. Sure lets all fire in wild accusations and big statements. This thread isnt even about the Iranians.

By the way how can you state it works both ways yet your on one particular side. If you see it as wrong on one side - why dont you see it wrong on the other?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Solyad wrote: »
    And steyr - get a grip - when did Iran state it wanted to wipe out the jewish state - it has certainly stated it wanted to see an end to the zionist government which is akin to the fall of the soviet union.

On the 25th October 2005 Mahmoud Ahmadinejad said Israel must be "wiped off the map" and that attacks by Palestinians would destroy it.

Ahmadinejad was speaking to an audience of about 4,000 students at a program called "The World Without Zionism," in preparation for an annual anti-Israel demonstration on the last Friday of the holy month of Ramadan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭5times

ZorbaTehZ wrote: »
    504708764_1354f55ab6.jpg

It doesn't matter about anything else except that the score is not 0 on both sides. To pick sides in this matter is just adding fuel to the fire and ridiculous from people not involved in the conflict.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    On the 25th October 2005 Mahmoud Ahmadinejad said Israel must be "wiped off the map" and that attacks by Palestinians would destroy it.

Ahmadinejad was speaking to an audience of about 4,000 students at a program called "The World Without Zionism," in preparation for an annual anti-Israel demonstration on the last Friday of the holy month of Ramadan.

This is is not correct. It was widely reported as correct but the direct translation is different. http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/article12790.htm

Take 5 minutes to read the first half of that article with an open mind - the second half refers to holocaust statements and is even further removed from this thread.

In particular read the translations from the NY Times and also Middle East Media Research Institute (MEMRI), located in Washington:

There is confusion over the direct translation

"Whereas the 'New York Times' said: "Our dear Imam said that the occupying regime must be wiped off the map" the version by MEMRI is: "Imam [Khomeini] said: This regime that is occupying Qods [Jerusalem] must be eliminated from the pages of history."

Whether the term map was used or not - both transations refer to the regime and not the country.

Admittedly, Nazi was a bit harsh in my opening post; I do find that stand, however, to be exceptionally anti-jew. Personally, I feel that any group which wishes to denounce a people should not be allowed do it with a huge stand in the middle of a main shopping street, be it anti-Jew, anti-Arab, anti-American, anti-eastern european, or, indeed, anti Irish.
    biko wrote: »
    I would say you come off as quite pro-Jewish and anti-Arab. But maybe that's just me.

Firstly, I would regard myself either as particularly pro Jew OR anti Arab; my OP was aimed (obviously badly) at the people running the stand, NOT its target or the poeple they claim to represent.

But you are quite correct in saying that I should read up on the conflict more.

@Tristan; Godwins Law?

Solyad wrote: »
    This is is not correct. It was widely reported as correct but the direct translation is different.
    Whether the term map was used or not - both transations refer to the regime and not the country.

See here please : http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/4384264.stm If some nation said they wanted to wipe Ireland off the map it would mean the Island of Ireland and that would be everything on it.

biko wrote: »

Steyr, you too

In a perfect world they would all get along but that is not the way it works in this world, Israel have every right to defend themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Steyr wrote: »
    In a perfect world they would all get along but that is not the way it works in this world, Israel have every right to defend themselves.

Ah get a grip, does the right to defend yourself include the right to intern people without trial, bulldoze innocent civilian's houses, shoot children, seize land from civilians without compensation, etc etc? Because that is what Israel does in the name of defending itself. You really think they have the right to do that?

Yes, some Palestinians attack Israel with rockets, its about the only weapon they have. Attacks are in response to 60 years of oppression and brutality carried out by a state that is well-funded, well-armed, and brutally vindictive. Reprisals by Israel for rocket attacks are hugely disproportionate and target civilians. That's not defending your country, that's violating human rights. But I suppose thats ok with you...

Zzippy wrote: »
    Ah get a grip, does the right to defend yourself include the right to intern people without trial, bulldoze innocent civilian's houses, shoot children, seize land from civilians without compensation, etc etc? Because that is what Israel does in the name of defending itself. You really think they have the right to do that?

Isn't there a western world nation state who does the same thing under the guise of fighting terrorism? Why doesn't the guy on Shop Street add them to his campaign?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭vulcan57

Quite agree that they should not be allowed to cover so much of a prominent area of shop street with all the flags etc. Campaigning for human rights of a people that have a group that are total callous murdering terrorists. They strap themselves with explosives and various form of shrapnel and target totally innocent members of the public going about their daily routine by blowing themselves up killing and maming men women and children. It is no wonder that Israel have to take such measures, if the same was happening in Ireland I would hope the government here would do the same as the Israelis. Stop the terrorism and then none of these sanctions would be there. I would love to see some one beat them to their pitch one day with a giant Israeli flag and campaign for the human rights of the poor Israeli innocents that are being brutally massacred by these murdering thugs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Does Israel even have anything worth boycotting? I can't say I've ever seen the tag "made in Israel" on anything.

As for the conflict neither side is innocent, it takes two to tango as they say.

Advertisement