Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BT Speed Problems in Malahide

Options
  • 31-05-2008 4:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭

On 3MB package but connecting between 1400 and 1800 kbps for the last fortnight. Previously getting at 3072 kbps as I would expect and d/l speed of circa 300 MB/s. I was told by BT a month ago that the exchange would be upgraded in June. Is the downturn is speed due to work going on or perhaps is anyone on BT/eircom in the area getting on ok?

278194082.png

The above is from 1564 kbps connection.

Router firmware has been upgraded, all cables checked. Any help appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Little-Devil

Get your line stats of the router, downstream,upstream, nosie margin and post it back up.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,167 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

No there definitely are issues. I'm on BT in malahide too and just got this:
    278222729.png

Modem only sync'd at 736/256 Kbps.

Having said that, I didnt notice any slow down till I read this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭jrd

ADSL Link
    Downstream 1536 kbps
    Upstream 384 kbps

Line Attenuation
    Downstream 42 db
    Upstream 14 db

Noise Margin
    Downstream 11 db
    Upstream 18 db

Router is Netgear DG834v2, on this PC it is wired not wireless. Thanks.

jolly wrote: »
    ADSL Link
    Downstream 1536 kbps
    Upstream 384 kbps

Line Attenuation
    Downstream 42 db
    Upstream 14 db

Noise Margin
    Downstream 11 db
    Upstream 18 db

Router is Netgear DG834v2, on this PC it is wired not wireless. Thanks.

Ok, the downstream is incorrect. I would suggest un-pluggin everything connected to the phoneline and connected the Negear to the the main point in the house and see if the dowstream changes, it could be something that you have not connected using a filter, it looks as though fault could be on your side tho.

Can you check a second router, maybe one that BT supplied if you still have it?

Ok, the downstream is incorrect. I would suggest un-pluggin everything connected to the phoneline and connected the Negear to the the main point in the house and see if the dowstream changes, it could be something that you have not connected using a filter, it looks as though fault could be on your side tho.

Can you check a second router, maybe one that BT supplied if you still have it?

Thanks for taking the time on this. Did the "round the house" check. Unplugged just the one handset from the main point. Unplugged/replugged the DSL Line and all cables to the router. Nothing changed - went to 1600 kbps which is effectively unchanged. Noise margin remained the same. Original router in attic and will be tried in the morning.

Can I ask why you think the problem is at my side and not exchange side?

• Advertisement

Im speaking from experience, but i may not be right, but its either the line inside or could be the netgear.

What did BT have to say or have you called to check even?

Im speaking from experience, but i may not be right, but its either the line inside or could be the netgear.

What did BT have to say or have you called to check even?

I did call and have logged a ticket. However when I mentioned that I was not using the Zyxel modem given 5 years ago, I got the "your router is not supported" line. Only I mentioned that other users had confirmed that they were getting slow speeds on the Malahide Exchange and that it is an Eircom exchange, did I get traction. Did some straightforward tests with the helpdesk. Exchange and line to be checked before a house visit to check cabling.

Thanks for help. Will update those users who confirmed slow speeds to me either by responding to this or PM

jolly wrote: »
    I did call and have logged a ticket. However when I mentioned that I was not using the Zyxel modem given 5 years ago, I got the "your router is not supported" line.

They say that because if it dont find a issue it could be a hardware issue. I would connect the the Zykel in for the moment and so if they call you back you can tell that you have there Hardware connected.

Keep us posted.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,167 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Seems to be back to normal. Syncing at 2048/256 Kbps again.

278802629.png

500th post
    :)

Advertisement