Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Broken back seat on an 01 Ford Focus Hatchback

Options
  • 31-05-2008 4:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭

Basically... I bought the car recently, and the first time I pulled the back seats down (to extend the boot) it stayed down. It's the left hand seat, which includes the centre seat. The seat belt is pulled tight and appears to be the culprit. I haven't got a userguide for the car, although i'm planning on making a purchase of one. Nothing that was supplied is of any use.

I have a few options, from what I can tell, but i'm a complete newcomer to cars and I don't want my igorance to cost me too much money.

1) Cut the seatbelt, assume the seat will pop up, get the seat belt replaced. Problem is I have no idea how much that would cost...

2) There are screws on the back of the seat that I can undo and remove the back panel. Assuming it's just something that's caught, I can probably fix it, replace the back and it will work again. Problem with this is that I have no idea what I might find under the panel and I could be in trouble if some kind of spring loaded mechanism flies out and I can't put it back.

3) Suck it up and go to a garage. Again, no idea how much is reasonable for what appears to me to be a pretty basic problem.

Any advice is appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭bop1977

Try moving the driver and passenger seats as far forward as possible, then try lifting the seats upright.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,317 ✭✭✭✭Esel

aidanpower wrote: »
    The seat belt is pulled tight and appears to be the culprit.
    You sould have moved the belt out of the way before folding the seat. Try to release the belt by pulling slowly but firmly on it. You might need someone with you to try to get the seat moving upwards at the same time. Moving the front seats forward is also a good idea.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭lodgepole

It's definitely clear of the passenger seat, and while i've had a go at the belt I haven't tried it in combination with pushing the seat back. I'll give that a go... Anybody have experience opening the back of the seat in case it doesn't work?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

I had this problem before cant really remember how i sorted it.

One option is see if you pull the boot carpet back can you see where the anchor point for the seat belt is.
    If you can see that just loosen the bolt and lift your seat back up then pull your belt back out and tighten it back in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,317 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Not this car in particular, but there is usually a pull-tab low down to release the seat from its flat position. Have a look.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
Advertisement