Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

photo's of my car/ text's of my reg

Options
  • 31-05-2008 7:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭

There is emails going around of my car and text's going around of my reg claiming I am the one that named secret spots and posted up a map.

I once did name a secret spot a long time ago, that was a mistake. I am not the one that posted up the map. Please don't target me, my car, my wife and friends.

I met some Kerry surfers out today and contrary to what some people have said here they were a genuinely nice bunch. They were very annoyed at me at first because they had been told I was the one that posted up the map, I didn't and in the recent goings on over the last few days I didn't name one spot.

The guys in Kerry took me around the break, they are a lot more experienced than I am and pointed out the dangers. Dangers I wouldn't have known about if I hadn't met them. They didn't bully me, they didn't threaten me. They were annoyed, but calm.

The map is a bad idea. It takes a serious surfer to realise this. Unfortunately I wasn't experienced enough to know this. Although I don't like localism, these guys weren't at this. They have rescued inexperienced surfers in the past on this harmless looking break.

Again, I haven't been bullied in to this, I had a long adult chat with them and their hearts are in the right place.

The photo going around is of a red golf with two boards on the roof. I am not the one who posted up the map.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Bad form that someone is forwarding that lightening. Glad to hear you had a good experience through it though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭pvt.joker

further proof if any was needed that there is a scumbag element at play here.
    I am sure 95% of surfers wouldnt engage in anything like this. Pity the other 5% are tarnishing your sports reputation

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Poor form alright, I hope whoever is sending/receiving those emails sees some sense. I'm glad you had an otherwise positive experience in Kerry though, I think its important to recognise that too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

lightening wrote: »
    There is emails going around of my car and text's going around of my reg claiming I am the one that named secret spots and posted up a map.....Please don't target me, my car, my wife and friends.

It saddens and sickens me that there is an element of vigilantism in the surf community in Ireland. It is something that the surfing community will have to address however, because it is not giving the sport a good rep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭pvt.joker

It is sickening alright, as they are dragging the good name of surfers through the mud.
    It needs to be addresses by the ISA alright

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Did they have any idea where the texts and emails were coming from lightening? thats well out of bounds like.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

They didn't tell me from whom the texts/emails were coming from. They said they were going to send out a few text's to the people involved... try and calm things down.

Their concerns were for safety though. I have no doubt about this. These fella's have dragged people out of the water. The people they rescued might have just though "that fella got me out of a bit of jip there!" Truth be known, they probably saved a life.

Sobering stuff. Its all very well typing away on a keyboard. But after a long chat with these guys I can see where they are coming from.

Great day out on the waves though. Good vibe on the water, really friendly people out there, full of helpful advice. Long may it last.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

I fully accept that the safety of surfers is at the heart of all of this for the majority of those concerned about the posting of maps/details of secret spots, however it's the tactics used by some of the individuals involved that boards.ie has the problem with.

To post up contact info and photographs of one moderator, who, as a result received threats, then to send details of your vehicle etc. around and potentially cause a threat to your safety is a little hypocritical, don't you think?

These are bully tactics, they're not the way to get your point across. As a result of their over reaction and inability to deal with this in a civilised manner, they have placed these secret spots under a microscope for the foreseeable future.

Surely they can see that themselves?

This is not the first time this has happened, yet they appear to have learned nothing from previous experience, this does not help the sport of surfing, or the surfing community in Ireland.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

They are concerned for safety?!?

They are posting around your name and address, suggesting vigilantism. So its not your safety they are concerned about.

They have threatened people here before, so its not our safety.

They have refused to spread the knowledge they have about the safety of surf spots so its not other surfers safety they are concerned about.

DeV.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

lightening wrote: »
    There is emails going around of my car and text's going around of my reg claiming I am the one that named secret spots and posted up a map.

I once did name a secret spot a long time ago, that was a mistake. I am not the one that posted up the map. Please don't target me, my car, my wife and friends.
    I met some Kerry surfers out today and contrary to what some people have said here they were a genuinely nice bunch. They were very annoyed at me at first because they had been told I was the one that posted up the map
    They didn't bully me, they didn't threaten me. They were annoyed, but calm.
    The map is a bad idea. It takes a serious surfer to realise this.

Seriously lightening,
    if I didn't know better, I'd say you were intimidated into writing that.

As for e-mails with your car reg going round, the point of that is to intimidate you, to teach you a lesson and to bully you into their way of thinking.
    Because if you don't change your mind quick, they intend to do what?
    A bunch of great guys eh?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14 TakeMyNameDown

My name was posted on the feedback thread by RB and nobody will remove it. I have reported the post twice and nothing is done about it. Please sort it out. Your double standards are confusing the hell out of me.

post no. 231

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

No, I wasn't intimidated into doing anything. They told me their was a photo of some guy (not me) and my car going around saying "this is the guy who posted the map up and that's his car" DeVore, they didn't pass it on to anyone, they received it. They called the people who were sending the messages that the face didn't match the car and that although I spoke out against localism I didn't name secret spots or post up any maps.

They could have easily called up people that would have been a lot less friendly to me and it may have ended up ugly. They didn't.

DeVore, these particular Kerry surfers didn't threaten anyone. They represent the majority of surfers in Kerry. They have nearly come to blows with other surfers over localism. Beruthiel, if they intended to do anything they would have done it, they didn't. Please don't try and read between the lines...

There is a big difference between sorting this out on a computer to meeting face to face and having a long long chat about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭cpoh1

Having just read this thread I am sickened. It confirms everything I said about these few guys in the the others threads, absolute clowns the lot of them.

I dont agree with naming secret spots but this is not the case with the map and if I met anyone who tok issue with that I would point this out to them. Having been in the water in Cork thurs and Kerry friday it was certainly business as usual with no changes in the numbers or attitude in the water. Bit of a storm in a teacup with a few fellas who have nothing better to do with their time.

Incidentally I was down in Kerry all weekend and had a ball. No aggro, just catching up with old mates and spending loads of time in the water. 95% of kerry surfers are all sound blokes, but there's always a few gob****es who tarnish it for the rest of us.

If there was one suggestion I could make it would be that the admin were open to suggestions on one or two of the spots that people might be deemed inappropriate for newer surfers to be visiting. Not because of localism or reducing crowds but simply to show people the best spots to go and surf safely and with the best resources available.

Lightening dont let anybody tarnish your stoke in the water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 vegaluca

My name was posted on the feedback thread by RB and nobody will remove it. I have reported the post twice and nothing is done about it. Please sort it out. Your double standards are confusing the hell out of me.

post no. 231

The best of luck with that buddy, I sent several reports on Saturday trying to get my name taken off post # 398 and nothing, not even the common courtesy of a reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

vegaluca wrote: »
    The best of luck with that buddy, I sent several reports on Saturday trying to get my name taken off post # 398 and nothing, not even the common courtesy of a reply.

The Feedback forum isn't moderated very closely and its been a bank holiday weekend, give it another day or 2 and see what happens.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

cornbb wrote: »
    The Feedback forum isn't moderated very closely and its been a bank holiday weekend, give it another day or 2 and see what happens.

Its been done already.

Advertisement