Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speed to get a driving ban ?

Options
  • 31-05-2008 8:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭

Anyone know what it is ?

Do the courts have a set speed where you will get a ban instead of points, say 160kph or is it up to the Garda's descretion to send you to court in the first place and for the Judge to give you a ban ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

I wouldn't like to get caught doing over 100mph.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

Wouldn't it depend on the speed limit at the time and perhaps driving conditions?

Personally, I think fines and points should be pro-rata to the percentage by which the limit was exceeded. So, 10kph over a 100 limit would be less serious an offence than 10 kph over a 40kph limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,317 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Think it used to be 30mph over? That would make it 50km/h over. Might be the US I am thinking of though!

How much over were you anyway? :D

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭afatbollix

most cops will do you for dangerous driveing if you are doing over 100mph... i know two people who were caught over that speed but the gardai brought it down to 99.9mph so it was only points... ( 1 was in england tho and the other he had a english liceance in ireland) (in other words not worth the gardai court time)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

i know someone who was caught doing 128MPH. and only got a few points

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

20 years ago, my brother was caught doing 96mph in a 30mph zone. I still don't understand how he didn't lose his licence. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

20 years ago, my brother was caught doing 96mph in a 30mph zone. I still don't understand how he didn't lose his licence. :confused:

Fcuk me :eek:

Where was that, was it one of those stupid speed limits that go up during road works?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I don't believe we have one. I imagine it can only be done if there is "dangerous driving" involved and it depends on the judge:(.
    In Germany more than double the speed limit and you're out.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭chickenhawk

esel wrote: »
    Think it used to be 30mph over? That would make it 50km/h over. Might be the US I am thinking of though!

Yep that's in america although some states it 45mph over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Kalashnikov_Kid

Last year in England, my brother was caught doing 87mph in a 50 zone. Technically he should have been disqualified but I think discretion was given as he would have lost his job. So he got 6 points instead. Lucky man. Basically I wouldn't want to be caught doing 30mph over the speed limit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

I'd imagine the charge would be dangerous driving rather than speeding. But generally there's a 10% margin over the limit, so if your clock shows 50km/h at 45, and you're at 60km/h on the clock, you'd probably be safe enough as you'd realistcially only be doing 55.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭tdc

Jesus Christ! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Fcuk me :eek:

Where was that, was it one of those stupid speed limits that go up during road works?
    He was on a motorbike at the time and it was in a well known provincial town - not in roadworks!

He was young and foolish - he's is embarassed about it now and hates when it's brought up!

My other brother still drives like a maniac and has no points! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Since they made speeding a fixed charge offence, the only penalty available is 80 euro and 2 points regardless of the speed. If caught by a static unmanned camera that is all they can get you for.

As said earlier if caught by a patrol the Garda will make it into a dangerous driving charge if the speed is high enough.

Bond-007 wrote: »
    Since they made speeding a fixed charge offence, the only penalty available is 80 euro and 2 points regardless of the speed. If caught by a static unmanned camera that is all they can get you for.

As said earlier if caught by a patrol the Garda will make it into a dangerous driving charge if the speed is high enough.

Are you sure?

€80 and two points for a nice official letter and a picture of you doing 180 your 911 lol The braggin rights alone would be worth it ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Oilrig

It depends on the Judge. no guidelines, limits etc. Prosecuting cop may elaborate his presentation with a description of your BMW/Merc/Saab etc.

Sad tit, but there you go. We pay peanuts we get monkeys...

wheres the pc brigade!??? must be all off on there sunday drives :rolleyes:

ffs i hate this crappy rolly eyes... :mad::rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

I think its all upto the garda really, I passed an undercover car out years ago on a motorbike, doing around 115 - 120 mph, tooks the cops about a mile to catch up.

The cop was a bike cop himself, talked to me for a while. Initially he was quite agressive and i apologised, said it was a silly thing to do etc.

Eventually he turned around to the other cop and said ... look .. i know its a straight road, but its not safe, trucks pull out there all the time without looking, someone could be cycling along without reflectors and so on.

He said, he'd leave me off this time, but if he caught me speeding again "You'll be in it"

I never did do it again, young and foolish, but the chat really did make a bigger difference than just a fine and points.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭zzzzzzzz

craichoe wrote: »
    I think its all upto the garda really, I passed an undercover car out years ago on a motorbike, doing around 115 - 120 mph, tooks the cops about a mile to catch up.

The cop was a bike cop himself, talked to me for a while. Initially he was quite agressive and i apologised, said it was a silly thing to do etc.

Eventually he turned around to the other cop and said ... look .. i know its a straight road, but its not safe, trucks pull out there all the time without looking, someone could be cycling along without reflectors and so on.

He said, he'd leave me off this time, but if he caught me speeding again "You'll be in it"

I never did do it again, young and foolish, but the chat really did make a bigger difference than just a fine and points.

Am I wrong in saying that they didn't have you on camera speeding and had no evidence of you speeding so technically couldn't actually do anything?

no as if a gadai even thinks your speeding its his word over yours... they can even stop you lets say in the middle of a town when they dont have a speed gun if they think your over the limit( you really have to be over it for them to notice you)

also the motorbike cops are the best.... the amount of times they tell me teh speed they go around like.. highest guy said 186mph at the north west 200 this year.... what a legend...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Yeh motorbike cops...

Stephens green motorbike cop pulled a lad for doing a wheely. Advised him he was driving dangerously as he wasnt in control of his vehicle.

Guy said he was in perfect control.

Cop said.. well if you can keep the wheel up from one end of the green to the other you will prove to me that you are indeed in control of your vehicle.

Guy tried, dropped the wheel half way down the road.

Cop said he'd be getting a summons for dangerous driving.

Cop took off, a few yards off he lifted the front wheel ... then sped off.

This was back in 2001 if memory serves ... funniest thing i've ever seen.

Advertisement