Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

name and shame.

• 31-05-2008 8:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭

Anyone know the players who refused to sign autographs after the serbia game?

disgraceful tbh....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Most of them can't write. Leave them be.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭delija_sever029

Well i asked few times what happened with those who wanted to chase players after the game and noone answered if they got any autographs,maybe they will now:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,848 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Packie Bonner pushed me out of the way on a staircase when I asked him for an autograph a good few years ago in Carlow Cinema. They were training in Kilkee and squad went to cinema. Got Keith O Neills, Phil Babbs and others but Packie wasnt interested. Asshole imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Give them a break! They were on holiday that day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Jesus.

Their job is to play football for the club they are contracted to. It doesn't say anywhere they have to sign autographs for everyone who asks in their own free time.

Yes it's a nice gesture when a player does sign them, but 'naming and shaming' them and calling them assholes is laughable

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

but i think its fair to say alot are not intelluctually very clever.

they rake in piles of money and refusing to sign your name on a piece of paper is about as ignorant as you can get.

If they were proud Irish men giving out an autograph would be an honourable thing to do.

Alot of teams/players in england fall to this as well.

Everton are pretty decent tho, They put my feature in a programme and gave me a autographed 1st team photo for gratis, it was genuine also.

If they were proud Irish men giving out an autograph would be an honourable thing to do.
    Everton are pretty decent tho, They put my feature in a programme and gave me a autographed 1st team photo for gratis, it was genuine also.

:confused:

Unearthly wrote: »
    Jthem and calling them assholes is laughable

I called him an asshole cas he pushed me while i was the stairs and I was really young. That okay with you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

but i think its fair to say alot are not intelluctually very clever.

they rake in piles of money and refusing to sign your name on a piece of paper is about as ignorant as you can get.

Alot of teams/players in england fall to this as well.

Bad luck on it only being Everton. Good effort though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Trilla wrote: »
    I called him an asshole cas he pushed me while i was the stairs and I was really young. That okay with you?

Depends, what film was he going to see?

• Advertisement

Problem Child.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Jesus.

Their job is to play football for the club they are contracted to. It doesn't say anywhere they have to sign autographs for everyone who asks in their own free time.

Yes it's a nice gesture when a player does sign them, but 'naming and shaming' them and calling them assholes is laughable

As I understand it Paul McGrath had arranged with the FAI for some kids to have their autographs signed and the pricks refused to do it.

Complete tossers in my opinion.

Reminds me of when I was a kid. A friend of my Dads had been given permission for him and his son to see some of the Man United players after a friendly with Shelbourne. I think he knew Fergie or something. This was back when they used to come over here every season for friendlies. Well the kid's favourite player was Schmeichel and when the guy and his kid asked for a moment of Peter's time he acted like a complete dick and basically told them where to go. Well when Fergie spoke to my Dad's mate and was told what happened he told him to wait there and marched straight into the dressing room. Next thing Schmeichel comes out all smiles offering to be in photographs and everything. :D

Always had respect for Fergie after hearing about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Packie Bonner pushed me out of the way on a staircase when I asked him for an autograph a good few years ago in Carlow Cinema.

That was nice of him, good few years ago, got most of the man utd team autographs at there training ground, the likes of Beckham and Lee Sharp were great for autographps, as were most of the team, the only two that did not sign any autograhps were keane and irwin who didn't even stop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

Down the years, I've brought many groups of kids up to Ireland matches and in most cases the players have been sound with autographs/photos etc. The best of the lot has always been Shay imo.

What annoys me the most about these overpaid prima donnas is that they never stop to ask ME for autographs! It's all give, give, give with these people, but where's the take?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Packie Bonner pushed me out of the way on a staircase when I asked him for an autograph a good few years ago in Carlow Cinema.

Same when we were playing Blackrock College in a schools tournament years back. He was there scouting or whatnot, didnt even give a wave to our crowd.

Yer man Mark Vaughan who now plays for Dub gah was playing for the rock soccer team that day I recall. Played a blinder.

Didnt stop us trying to distract him with chants about his natural redness mind (which he has since dyed blonde, jaysus, we must have hit him hard! :p )

shane86 wrote: »
    Same when we were playing Blackrock College in a schools tournament years back. He was there scouting or whatnot, didnt even give a wave to our crowd.

Yer man Mark Vaughan who now plays for Dub gah was playing for the rock soccer team that day I recall. Played a blinder.

Didnt stop us trying to distract him with chants about his natural redness mind (which he has since dyed blonde, jaysus, we must have hit him hard! :p )

Mark Vaughan's a red-head????

monkey9 wrote: »
    What annoys me the most about these overpaid prima donnas is that they never stop to ask ME for autographs! It's all give, give, give with these people, but where's the take?

Agreed!

And while we're on the subject, where are the residual cheques Umbro, Eircom and the FAI owe me for spreading awareness of their products at each home match? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

People telling their autographs reminds me of one of my favourite childhood memories.

I was staying in Kilkee Castle (dad's friend used to own it) at the same time the Irish team were staying there, i was having my dinner and my dad pointed out Dennis Irwin at the bar (my total hero at the time, i was fanatical about him) and told me to ask for an autgraph, i said no because i was scared he would be mean, but my dad convinced me to ask him.

I remember it so well, "Dennis, Hi, can i have your autograph?" "Sure son, whats your name?"... and he just sat there drinking his juice and having a full on footie chat with me, 9 at the time i had just joined a team and he said if i stick at it i could play for Ireland one day lol. I must have been chatting to him for 10mins. Amazing.

So yeah i would say he is easily the nicest human being ive ever met in my life.

Shay Given aswell was really nice, at a training session in the Carslise Grounds he got injured and started singing autographs instead of getting treatment.

Brian Kerr though... not so much.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Just forge the autographs.

• Advertisement

Gone With The Wind 3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

Brian Kerr is a prick. I was out with the DDSL team at the pitches near the airport.

I seen him with that tosser Devlin from Bray. This was before his failure as Irish manager. I asked him if he would go see my final I had on the Saturday after.....he goes '''wayside celtic''' **** that its out in the sticks...asshole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭mobby

Heard a few different stories about Bonner over the years not very complementary either. Met him in cassideys pub in camden st about two years ago and it confirmed the stories, a very ignorant man is all i will say. But then again he did save that peno i suppose.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

mobby wrote: »
    Heard a few different stories about Bonner over the years not very complementary either. Met him in cassideys pub in camden st about two years ago and it confirmed the stories, a very ignorant man is all i will say. But then again he did save that peno i suppose.:)

i met him after an ireland training session in the AUL and he took a pic with me and agev me an autograph. seemed very nice form what i remember. Also got pics with Babb and McAteer that day!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

What I don't understand is why anyone would want an autograph? What the **** is the appeal? "OOOH DEY WROTEZ HEEYYUUURR". Get over yerself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 379 ✭✭King John V

What I don't understand is why anyone would want an autograph?
    Increased ebay price for the signed item :p. Seriously, it's just a novelty for young lads (and maybe not quite so young!) to meet their heroes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 426 ✭✭DaveH

I remember about 10 years ago...Eoin Hand Testimonal, ROI v LOI in tolka.
    The ROI had a full team all premiership players at the time except for Cascarino who was in France, Kilbane was at WBA at the time.

I always remember Ray Houghton and Staunton spending a good 20 minutes walking along the Riverside stand signing autographs for kids.
    Mark Kennedy and Jeff Kenna would sign anything. Kennedy was a complete SAP, I called him over and he just waved at me. Never had any time for him after that.

It only takes 2 minutes to sign an autograph and its usually only for kids. IMO your a sap if you wont sign an autograph.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

Mark Vaughan once threw a chip at me in a pub. Bastard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭thusspakeblixa

I was at one of their training sessions a while back, and most of the players were grand, eg. O'Shea got off the bus to sign my Man U scarf and Andy Reid had a big conversation with me because I told him I live in Crumlin. Robbie Keane was very nice too.
    However, ONE of the players, a certain left winger, ran off on one of my friends who's a mad Chelsea supporter, and who was also sick at the time.
    ...We were less than impressed!

And I'd have to agree with previous sentiments about Brian Kerr. Saw him in the Ashleaf once in his Pat's gear and he was also a prick to some kids!

• Advertisement

Did he hit the target??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

Just want to say, Brian Kerr is lovely...

My Childs school runs an active school week for the children. For the last two years Brian has given up his time to come down to train the kids. (Primary School).

Fair play to him for giving up his time.

On another note, David O'Leary grew up around the corner from me, An absolute Gent. When he would be home in his mas, he would be out on the green area, signing autographs and playing football with the kids.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Why the secrecy regarding the players inolved in the op incident? It's not like it's libelous info.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

Did he hit the target??

Yeah, I believe it was because earlier I wouldn't let him and his mates have any of my chips. He was lucky I was finished them by then, otherwise a ketchup soaked chip would have been aimed right at that hair of his.
    Quality wrote:
    On another note, David O'Leary grew up around the corner from me, An absolute Gent. When he would be home in his mas, he would be out on the green area, signing autographs and playing football with the kids.

I played football with him when I was younger. Legend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

OPENROAD wrote: »
    That was nice of him, good few years ago, got most of the man utd team autographs at there training ground, the likes of Beckham and Lee Sharp were great for autographps, as were most of the team, the only two that did not sign any autograhps were keane and irwin who didn't even stop.

I met Denis Irwin in the airport and I thought he was a very nice person.He spent about 10 mins talking to me and my dad about Manchester United as we had just been back from a game.

I have loads of Roy Keane autographs and a signed Celtic jersey.He's a very nice person.I kinda know him so I'm kinda biased but whatever.

Also,when Sunderland were playing Cork City last year,all the Sunderland players were happy to give out autographs.Everybody was looking for Keane's autograph but guys like Kieran Richardson were stopping to allow photos taken and signing autographs.I managed to get a load of autographs that night as everyone wanted Keane's and most of the Suderland players were being ignored.I had a 10 minute chat with Whitehead.

titan18 wrote: »
    I met Denis Irwin in the airport and I thought he was a very nice person.He spent about 10 mins talking to me and my dad about Manchester United as we had just been back from a game.

I have loads of Roy Keane autographs and a signed Celtic jersey.He's a very nice person.I kinda know him so I'm kinda biased but whatever.

To be fair sometimes you can catch people on a bad day.

• Advertisement

OPENROAD wrote: »
    To be fair sometimes you can catch people on a bad day.

I agree. I mean, if someone is pr!ck, then they're a prick. But just because you get paid so much a week, you can't help your moods.

Alan Hansen once told my Celtic/Utd supporting mate fvck off!! Hansen is of course, a legend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

DaveH wrote: »
    It only takes 2 minutes to sign an autograph and its usually only for kids. IMO your a sap if you wont sign an autograph.

It dosn't only take 2 minutes it takes about 20 depending on how many people are there. I don't see the trouble, these people get asked about 100 times a day to sign something and pose for a photo that would get tiresome for even the nicest bloke in the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Reganio 2 wrote: »
    It dosn't only take 2 minutes it takes about 20 depending on how many people are there. I don't see the trouble, these people get asked about 100 times a day to sign something and pose for a photo that would get tiresome for even the nicest bloke in the world.

When I met Ian Wright in Athens he was getting stopped every 30 secs for an autograph and photo (it was at the acropolis so he was kind of cornered) He was a top bloke and stood for about 2 minutes in the pissing rain waiting for my cousins camera to stop acting the prick and work. His missus was geting severly pissed off with everyone stopping him and when I went up I heard her saying to him that I was already talking to him before(I wasnt).

He gave her a bit of a look at said that I didnt, then posed for the photo. He was a top bloke despite his hour long trip roiund the Acropolis being constantly interuppted and getting pissed on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

I met Andy Goram in Edinburgh back in 97 or 98. Absolute legend, came and had a few drinks with us and was a great laugh. Posed for pics with all of our crowd, rangers and celtic fans alike. Top man IMO

I also met Bobby George that summer too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

Was that the one that he usually carries on his shoulder? :D

Oh im so funny.....

• Advertisement

Killme00 wrote: »
    I met Andy Goram in Edinburgh back in 97 or 98. Absolute legend, came and had a few drinks with us and was a great laugh. Posed for pics with all of our crowd, rangers and celtic fans alike. Top man IMO

I also met Bobby George that summer too.

The Darts player??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

The Darts player??

Yeah he's a big fkcuer too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,724 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Mr. nice guy , Packie Bonner , image is in tatters , i thought he would make a great Fianna Fail TD in donegal -- he's got that pat Kenny blandness

Wooden as a goalpost

Stekelly wrote: »
    When I met Ian Wright in Athens he was getting stopped every 30 secs for an autograph and photo (it was at the acropolis so he was kind of cornered) He was a top bloke and stood for about 2 minutes in the pissing rain waiting for my cousins camera to stop acting the prick and work. His missus was geting severly pissed off with everyone stopping him and when I went up I heard her saying to him that I was already talking to him before(I wasnt).

He gave her a bit of a look at said that I didnt, then posed for the photo. He was a top bloke despite his hour long trip roiund the Acropolis being constantly interuppted and getting pissed on.

He really is a top bloke, used to see him in Highbury North Bank before games and he would always stop and chat to fans, really one of the lads and one of my all time favourite players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭allybhoy

Ive a couple of decent stories myself, went over to the Israel game what 3 years ago, meself the da and about 6 mates. Anyways after the game we went to this tiny little pub/disco bar to drown our sorrows. We were the only ones there as it was a bit of a kip,next of all in walks Robbie Keane, Honeymonster and Kavanagh. We were at the end of the bar (the door was at the top) and Dunne walks up to us and goes, "lads you dont mind if we have a pint" For some reason he thought it was like a private party. Of course we were over the moon so they sat down with us, Anyways I went to the jax with one of the lads, and in behind us walks Robbie Keane, so the 3 of us are there pissing silently ahead, and my mate (fairly pished) goes "Here robbie,any chance you can sign this!" Robbie replies instantly "I wud mate but id only fit Rob on it" 3 of us in stiches laughing, so outside they were more than happy to pose for pix etc autographs etc, they only stayed for 2 pints, but it was a great experience all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭grahamo

Packie Bonner pushed me out of the way on a staircase when I asked him for an autograph a good few years ago in Carlow Cinema. They were training in Kilkee and squad went to cinema. Got Keith O Neills, Phil Babbs and others but Packie wasnt interested. Asshole imo

Bumped into Bonner about 18 years ago in Glasgow airport. He was on his way over for an Ireland match. He was with Pierce O'Leary who was dead sound. We got onto the plane and bonner had been allocated the seat next to me. When people tried to strike up a conversation with him he called the stewardess and asked to be moved. The stewardesses put him in first class!
    He's a first class prick in my opinion.
    It would of cost him nothing to be polite to the other passengers and it would have made their day. Instead he chose to be an ignorant asshole!
    I've met a few other players over the years who have all been polite and had no problem giving up a few minutes of their time.

Jesus, i can't believe Bonner is like that. I'd never have thought it. And him being a national hero!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

Ya, I've seen Bonner acting the bollix alright. I remember after one of the pre-2002 WC friendlies (vs USA maybe?) he was surrounded by a load of kids looking for autographs and he turned on them. Started blaming one of them for kicking him in the ankle?! Wtf?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

DaveH wrote: »
    Mark Kennedy and Jeff Kenna would sign anything. Kennedy was a complete SAP, I called him over and he just waved at me. Never had any time for him after that.

Back around 1999, I saw Man City vs Port Vale in Maine Rd.
    We asked one of the club officals could we meet Mark Kennedy and we were talking to him in the tunnel for a few minutes and got photos and autographs.

True gent, but maybe he went off the rails afterwards

Edit: Packie Bonner "The Gentle Giant" has taken some battering in this thread. I'd never have thought he'd be like that

• Advertisement
Advertisement