Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Opinions on E60

Options
  • 31-05-2008 9:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭

Hopefully going to be changing my wifes car in august/september and we're leaning towards bringing an 2004 530d in from the North/UK (from a quick pricing it would work out approx 10k cheaper including VRT).

I think they changed the model that year so we'd be looking at the newer version, which i believe is the E60.

Some of you guys seem to know a hell of a lot about BMW's so is there anything I should be looking for in features/models and also mechanically?
    Is the E60 a good version, and is there much of a difference between the
    525d & 530d, obviously not the engine ;)
    Would approx 40-60k miles be OK?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

The E39, i.e. the previous generation 5 series is a better car in every conceivable way bar the space IMO.

But since you've asked about the E60, well here goes: avoid run flat tyres; if you get one with 16 inch wheels then you don't have run flats, any other wheel size means run flat tyres. They're noisier and are horrible over the bumps compared to the standard ones, and some suffer from tram lining too.

The iDrive system is liable to go wrong, other than that they're fine so far for reliability. Usual rules apply as with anything used, make sure it's in good nick, lots of service history, get a HPI check etc.

The 530d is well able to move though:D!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

Oh forgot about Auto Vs Manual?

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭alpina

Ya you won't go wrong with an E60, without doubt 530d over 525d, on your auto/manual ? personally auto & should stand to you in long run. No not all i~drives go on the blink, think it's a bit of a misconception at this stage. I do think it's very hard to beat the E39 (last model) it seemed perfect in every way, yet the E60 is no slouch either & the extra space is welcome, but take note, for a diesel it can be a tad thirsty especially when you actually drive it! & you will!!.
    Try & pick up with auto, leather & no run flats, will benefit your resale value when you change down the road. NB to search for BMWFSH. or equivalent, if it's been looked after will go for eons, well...;)

Happy hunting..

Advertisement