Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LARGE amount of garden waste to dispose of

Options
  • 31-05-2008 9:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭

I've done a major prune in the back garden and now it is time for the hard work. In the past I've always got a skip but these seem really expensive now - and the quantity is too much for the green-waste bring centres.
    Anyone know of a man with a van who would take it all away? I am in Dublin South (Dublin City Council Area).

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

vallo wrote: »
    I've done a major prune in the back garden and now it is time for the hard work. In the past I've always got a skip but these seem really expensive now - and the quantity is too much for the green-waste bring centres.
    Anyone know of a man with a van who would take it all away? I am in Dublin South (Dublin City Council Area).

You would have to look in your local paper or local shop notice-boards to get the best deal if you want a man-with-a-van.

I take garden waste to a bring-by centre. I dont know what part of the S-side you are in (dont know it well enough to advise either!) but this is a web page from the Dublin City Council site. There is a couple of phone numbers on the second page, that could be of some use. Only the larger bring-by centres will allow garden waste I must warn you. And rather than deal in cash, you pay in bin-tags. I'd say for a van (this is size dependant) you could be looking at about 6 of them. www.dublinwaste.ie could be useful to you too.

Weigh up the cost of the man-with-a-van + bin tags VS the skip -I say first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

have u priced the bag type skips that are either delivered or u buy in a hardware store. they hold a lot if u chop the stuff smallish and then let it settle for a day or so in the bag, u can get more in

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭10-10-20

About €5 for the bag and €90 for collection of 1m cubed.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,485 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

have you looked at hiring a shredder? it would reduce the volume drastically.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

ircoha wrote: »
    have u priced the bag type skips that are either delivered or u buy in a hardware store. they hold a lot if u chop the stuff smallish and then let it settle for a day or so in the bag, u can get more in

i dont think they take garden waste/green waste

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭etcetc

agree with previous poster suggestion

shred it or chop into smaller bits compact it down and leave for a few days and compact it up a bit more it wont look half as big then

you could bag it up then and drive to the nearest green recycling centre

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭vallo

Thanks very much for all of the replies. The bring centre just wasn't an option - seriously ... not with my level of patience anyway. Plus, while it was all sitting there reducing in volume my lawn was suffering so it needed to go.

I've gone with the bag-skip as suggested above and manually snipped it to smaller sized pieces once in the bag. I used the maxi size and it takes a tonne - it looks like much less once it is in the skip. Total cost is around 140 euro - would have been cheaper to go other routes, but I paid a premium to get it cleared away quickly which is especially lucky now that normal June weather has been restored!

There must be good business for a man with a van - I can't understand how nobody is filling this gap in the market around here. The moral of the story is to prune a little and often and avoid these big jobs completely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

The moral of the story is to prune a little and often and avoid these big jobs completely.

Ah, but you clearly suffered Pruning Trance. Well-known syndrome where you start, but once you get those chompers in your hands you just CAN'T STOP.

Can't you shred it and use it as mulch under the bushes..

Advertisement