Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

clutch pedal

Options
  • 31-05-2008 9:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,027 ✭✭✭✭

notice today that when i press down on the pedal it starts squeaking. can even hear it from the out side of the car. what could be the problem. car has just done over 90,000 miles. never had the clutch replaced yet.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

cena wrote: »
    notice today that when i press down on the pedal it starts squeaking. can even hear it from the out side of the car. what could be the problem. car has just done over 90,000 miles. never had the clutch replaced yet.
    What type of car is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,027 ✭✭✭✭cena

its a 02 fait punto

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Eliminate the simple things first ...try a squirt of oil / WD40 on the hinges of the pedal.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

If it's a VW, I'd suspect the clutch master cylinder...........

EDIT : I see you posted make & model just ahead of me. Not sure if a Punto of that year has a manual clutch or a hydraulic one. If it's manual it could be the cable or the release mechanism.

Can you isolate the exact location of the squeak?

Could be the clutch master cylinder. I know that goes for some manufacturers but I'm not sure if it happens with Fiat. Dont think its a big deal though. I'm sure there's somebody on the forum who knows more about it than me.

• Advertisement

crosstownk wrote: »
    If it's a VW, I'd suspect the clutch master cylinder...........
    Sometimes goes on Honda's too.

how much would it cost to get a new clutch put in. been thinking of putting a new one in for a while

I'm a fan of 'don't fix what isn't broken', but with 90k on the clock, the clutch disc is most likely in it's twilight. If the solution to the squeak ends up involving removing the gearbox, then by all means replace the clutch. But if the squeak can be easily resolved, then I'd leave the clutch replacement until it's absolutely necessary.

i don't hear the squeeking when the car is moving. only hear it when stopped at traffic lights etc.

The release bearing is probably dry/worn on the spiggot shaft but only squeaks when the shaft is stationary or slow. A new release bearing will probably cure it, but a whole clutch replacement is probably the best option.

• Advertisement

well how much would i be looking at to get it replaced

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

The "squeak" is most likely the lever which activates the release bearing. When the pivot in the centre of this lever become "dry" it'll squeak.

The fix is generally to remove the gearbox and lubricate though generally you could live with it.

I'm not familiar with your car..... maybe there's a way to lubricate the pivot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Pete67

Is it a squeak when the clutch pedal is moving towards the floor, or is it a continuous squeal when the clutch is depressed with the engine running?

If the first, then it could be the clutch lever, master cylinder, slave cylinder, or even the pedal pivot point, you may be able to lubricate the pedal or lever.

If the second, then the release bearing in the clutch is worn out and near failure. A new bearing is fairly cheap, but you need to remove the gearbox to replace it. So given the labour involved and the mileage on the car, you should probably replace the entire clutch - bearing, pressure plate and disc. I'd estimate around 400 eur unless you can do it yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭markos79

new clutch about €280 for a punto

its when its been pressed to the floor and released.

Advertisement