Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Need a comfortable car (6-8K max)

Options
  • 31-05-2008 9:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I am looking for a reasonably priced car that is a very comfortable drive and cheap to maintain. I bought a 1997 Punto 1.2L for silly money when I started learning to drive 6 months ago. Now that I have passed my test I would like to upgrade. The Punto is grand except when I am doing 120KPH it starts shaking- seems to have only been designed for city driving which doesn't suit road trip fans like me! I have my eye on a Seat Ibiza or Ford Fiesta maybe- can anyone recommend anything else? I am 22 with no kids but that doesn't mean I want to be cramped into a little 1L Micra! The car also has to be cheap to maintain and reliable. The Punto costs €25 in petrol a week.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Seat Leon 1.4 signo..
    sorted

• Registered Users Posts: 22,317 ✭✭✭✭Esel

The Punto is grand except when I am doing 120KPH it starts shaking..
    Are your wheels balanced? This is a typical symtom.

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭bigpinkelephant

esel wrote: »
    Are your wheels balanced? This is a typical symtom.

Yes, got it done 4 weeks ago along with 4 new tyres.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Hyundai Coupe a bit too "brokeback" for you? you should be just able to pick up a 2002 new model for that money

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

Yes, got it done 4 weeks ago along with 4 new tyres.

Might be tracking then. Even a Punto should be rock steady at these speeds. I owned a couple and had no problems.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

a saaaaaab is meant to be heaven for your ass.

seriously serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

ShayK1 wrote: »

It's nice but 00 is a bit old and the Seat Leon is more or less the same car anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 sickami

a ford focus.. 1.4
    a opel astra pre 2004 can be got in 1.2
    a vw golf
    a vw polo 02 or up
    a skoda fabia/octavia

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭paddyblue

You should get a 3/4 yr old Focus with relatively low milage for that money. I'd recomment the 1.6 petrol. The Focus is a great all rounder, very solid, very reliable & low maintenance costs generally

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

Comfort on road trips = get a 00 Mondeo. Better quality car and will probably be cheaper than the others. Small bit more in petrol but dirt cheap to get anything done to it (apart from the clutch mind)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

Ford Focus are nice, but too small and bouncy for long runs. Ford Mondeo 01-03 can be got for around 6-8k.

Ford Mondeos in white are unpopular and go for chicken feed. This 05 is going for 7 grand. 2 litre engine range is very good and lots of power. Watch out for clutch and air con issues as well as front suspension links etc.

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Ford/Mondeo/LX/943558/

Mazda 6 petrols are also very good, but their diesels have been reported as troublesome.

Drive as many different cars as you can, even a few drives in similar models, to get a feel for what you do and don't like, its very worthwhile

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

maoleary wrote: »
    Ford Focus are nice, but too small and bouncy for long runs. Ford Mondeo 01-03 can be got for around 6-8k.

Ford Mondeos in white are unpopular and go for chicken feed. This 05 is going for 7 grand. 2 litre engine range is very good and lots of power. Watch out for clutch and air con issues as well as front suspension links etc.

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Ford/Mondeo/LX/943558/

Mazda 6 petrols are also very good, but their diesels have been reported as troublesome.

Drive as many different cars as you can, even a few drives in similar models, to get a feel for what you do and don't like, its very worthwhile

that mondeo screams ex garda car to me.

quarryman wrote: »
    that mondeo screams ex garda car to me.

It is, definitely.

Mileage is too low and the car is too straight. Garda cars are kept till around 120-180k before being sold.

No repeater marks on the lower front wings, no marks on the roof from the light bar, no marks on the dash from radio holders or on the top of the dash for light bar/siren control panel.

It's a bit unlikely. Genuine Mondeos just don't sell in white for this very reason. They are not popular.

maoleary wrote: »
    Mileage is too low and the car is too straight. Garda cars are kept till around 120-180k before being sold.

No repeater marks on the lower front wings, no marks on the roof from the light bar, no marks on the dash from radio holders or on the top of the dash for light bar/siren control panel.

It's a bit unlikely. Genuine Mondeos just don't sell in white for this very reason. They are not popular.

These cars are up for sale at this mileage the whole time, in white always.
    90% of the time they will say "ex state cars"

If not, go and see one in person, you can see where the stickers were on it.

ClioV6 wrote: »
    These cars are up for sale at this mileage the whole time, in white always.
    90% of the time they will say "ex state cars"

If not, go and see one in person, you can see where the stickers were on it.

ex-state does not mean ex-garda.

A few departments have fleets of Mondeos. White is cheaper than metallic.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Isn't there supposed to be black trim going along the doors? Just googling pictures of Mondeo LXs - they all have this trim, but all the Garda ones are sans trim...

I don't think so....

But I'll look into it all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Isn't there supposed to be black trim going along the doors? Just googling pictures of Mondeo LXs - they all have this trim, but all the Garda ones are sans trim...

Mondeo got another mild facelift in late 2005, new rear light cluster and the side mouldings on the doors vanished.

• Advertisement

who'd buy a white 2.0 petrol Mondeo LX? unusual combination.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    who'd buy a white 2.0 petrol Mondeo LX? unusual combination.

Nobody would overtake you on a motorway though :pac:

bazz26 wrote: »
    Nobody would overtake you on a motorway though :pac:

Exactly, that's great!! I'd only buy one in white for the same reason!! :D

this is true. it does raise some questions about that particular car though. a 2.0 LX petrol MOndeo isn't something a dealer would usually stock, and would have to be a special order. I can't see someone waiting for this awful combination of big engine, lowest spec, rubbish colour.
    It screams "state owned", and the seller also has another car for sale, which suggests car trader posing as a private seller.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

ShayK1 wrote: »

31,000 miles and a new clutch?? :D:D

Actually...scrap what I said about the Leon..

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Audi/A3/Ambiente-Leather/1050091/

What year should I go for? When do cars get "Old?" Does it depend on the type of car?

I know mileage is meant to be more important but would I really be better off with a 8 year old car with 50K miles rather than a 5 year old car with 70K miles?

What year should I go for? When do cars get "Old?" Does it depend on the type of car?

I know mileage is meant to be more important but would I really be better off with a 8 year old car with 50K miles rather than a 5 year old car with 70K miles?

Don't judge a car too much by what the odometer reads, mileage is not an accurate indication of use. For example a car owned by a granny who drives 2 miles a week grinding gears, burnt out the clutch and never serviced will not be a better purchase than say a company car driven up and down motorways which has been serviced on time.

Judge each car on current condition, verifiable service history and maintenance receipts. That will give you an indication of how the car was cared for.

bazz26 wrote: »
    Don't judge a car too much by what the odometer reads, mileage is not an accurate indication of use. For example a car owned by a granny who drives 2 miles a week grinding gears, burnt out the clutch and never serviced will not be a better purchase than say a company car driven up and down motorways which has been serviced on time.

LOL I will avoid all the 1993 Toyota Starlets/Nissan Micras- "1 careful lady owner from new!!!!".

I saw a lovely 05 car in an ad, it has 120K miles but it has been serviced every 4 months which works out at about every 10K miles which I believe is the standard amount. Would this car be an OK buy despite the high mileage?

What is the general mileage "lifespan" of a car? Most people I know won't get a car with more than 100K miles.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14 icecube

get the audi, by far the most comfortable car i've ever driven in and pretty quick too(compared to a punto atleast :p)

Advertisement