Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airlock

Options
  • 31-05-2008 9:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭

Folks,

We're renting a house in an estate in Athenry. On Friday evening we noticed that the pipes seemed to be making a rattling noise and the cold water was sputtering rather than running. Each time the toilet was flushed we could hear the pipes banging as the tank upstairs was filling.

We've never had a problem before and I was just wondering if we could have gotten an airlock somehow? Or would the council have turned down the water pressure in the area?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Pete67

It sounds like there is air in the mains water supply coming into the house. Have the council been digging up roads or working on the water mains in the area? Leave it a couple of days and see if it improves as the residual air gets forced out.

Generally the cold water tap at the kitchen sink is straight from the mains so if there is a problem with the supply to the house this is where you will see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭whitelightrider

Pete67 wrote: »
    It sounds like there is air in the mains water supply coming into the house. Have the council been digging up roads or working on the water mains in the area? Leave it a couple of days and see if it improves as the residual air gets forced out.

Generally the cold water tap at the kitchen sink is straight from the mains so if there is a problem with the supply to the house this is where you will see it.

Cool, thanks Pete. Im not sure if theyve been doing anything to be honest as we dont get to the house till nearly 7 in the evening.
    I might check with the neighbours and see if they're having the same type of problem. In the meantime should I just use the water as normal?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Pete67

I can't answer that. If the water is clear and does not have any visible particles or sludge, and no strong odours its probably fine. But many types of microbial contamination are not detectable by taste or smell. If you are concerned about drinking water quality ring the council and check with them. You can always boil it to be sure, especially if its for consumption by babies and young children, or elderly folks.

Advertisement