Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish Rail rip-off

• 31-05-2008 9:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭

I got the train from Drumcondra to Gorey last night and was charged 33.50 return, which seemed a bit high for Gorey.

When the inspector was checking the ticket on the train he told that it is only 21.00 return from Conolly to Gorey, which is only only one stop further than Drumcondra and a return from Drumcondra - Conolly is only around 3.00.

The train I got from Drumcondra was the train to Rosslare Europort which passes Gorey.

Does anyone else have experience with being ripped off by Irish Rail and have any advise on what I should do?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,523 ✭✭✭✭Victor

There are lots of funnies like that, although this situation looks like someone programmed the wrong ticket.

Can I suggest you post here: www.railusers.ie/forum ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 992 ✭✭✭fh041205

Victor wrote: »
    There are lots of funnies like that, although this situation looks like someone programmed the wrong ticket.

Can I suggest you post here: www.railusers.ie/forum ?

No it wasn't the wrong ticket. The Irish Rail policy is simple. If its cheaper its invalid. Thus buying two tickets for your one journey (and thus saving you money) is not a valid combination. AFAIK return Drumcondra - Greystones is around 7 euro. You can price from there to Gorey if you want but theres not much point because its an invalid combination.

However, if you did break your journey in connolly (i.e. get off one train and get on the other presumably rosslare train) then you can legally buy those two tickets. I hope that helps.

Usually the IR ticket staff are quite good with the fares and they know about all these combinations but at the smaller stations like Drumcondra they mightn't know as much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Back in the 80ies my brother approached the ticket office in Heuston Station and asked how much was a weekend return to Cork. She replied "Twenty Five pounds" Brothers jaw dropped and replied, "I only want to buy a ticket, I don't want to buy the fu***ng train".

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭childoforpheus

Back in the 80ies my brother approached the ticket office in Heuston Station and asked how much was a return was to Cork. She replied "Twenty Five pounds" Brothers jaw dropped and replied, "I only want to buy a ticket, I don't want to buy the fu***ng train".

Classic! :D

Advertisement