Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for new PC but im clueless.

Options
  • 31-05-2008 10:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭

As above, i have a budget of around the 1000 euro mark give or take for whatever is needed.The main uses will be for music,photo and internet.Im moving away from my hifi setup and just going for a computer based system with some monitors(not inc in budget).At the PC is where i tend to listen most, so plenty of storage and if possible nothing that runs too loud either.Im not really into gaming, will probably play BF2 every now and then so a card that runs it will do for now.I prefer to use XP over Vista but i am open if Vista is better suited to the rig.Will be needing a monitor too 22" would be good.As im not too clued in id need it built and the OS setup.
    Almost forgot,it will be a 2nd PC in the house, the other one is constantly in use and is NTL cable broadband.So this new one will be in a spare room, i presume i will need some type of wireless adapter/ router so i can use internet on the new PC?
    If its possible to get a rig something thats upgradeable in time ,it would keep me going for a while.
    Anyway, any help is much appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

Anyone?:confused: I presume everyones out enjoying the weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

padi89 wrote: »
    Anyone?:confused: I presume everyones out enjoying the weather.

I got badly sun burned :o

Dell have some great deals going at the minute, you get a Quad core cpu, 2gb ram, 500gb hard drive, class set of speakers, 22" monitor, good soundcard, wifi network adapter for €828..

http://ecomm.euro.dell.com/dellstore/basket.aspx?c=ie&cs=ieepp1&l=en&s=dhs&itemtype=CFG&oid=6ca9a237-7d3e-4ee9-956b-a307f3c9df00

Components
    Intel® Core™ 2 Quad-Core Q6600 Processor (2.4GHz, 8MB cache, 1066MHz FSB)
    Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium - English
    1 Year Base Warranty
    22in E228WFP WIDESCREEN UK/Irish (1680 x 1050) TCO99 DVI-D
    2048MB 800MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM [2x1024]
    500GB (7200rpm) SATA Hard Drive
    128MB ATI® Radeon™ HD 2400 Pro graphics card
    DVD +/- RW Drive (read/write CD & DVD)
    Dell™ Entry Quietkey USB Keyboard - UK/Irish (QWERTY)
    Dell 2 Button USB Scroll Optical Mouse - Black
    Accessories
    Integrated Sound Blaster® Audigy™ ADVANCED HD software
    Logitech X540 Speakers - UK
    19-in-1 Media Card Reader
    No Modem
    Internal PCI 802.11b/g Wireless Network Card
    Microsoft® Works 9.0 - English

Would be quite hard to build it cheaper imo, as 22" monitor, windows os, speakers, keyboard and mouse etc will really knock up the price..

Lovely system at that price..

http://www.thetechlounge.com/article/403/Logitech+X540+51+Speakers/

Cheers for the reply Sqaull20, too bad about the sunburn.
    I wouldn't be looking for speakers with it as il be most likely going for a pair of Dynaudio active speakers running through an external soundcard/dac.If i got the logitechs i would have no use for them.
    I was having a look through the forum and i saw this suggested by another member for a poster that seemed to want the same as me.
    https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/67424/56487.PNG

Things i dont know anything about are the motherboard,ram,power supply and graphics card.
    Is there things i should maybe change?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

Oh yeah Hardwareverand are class, that pc you put up is very nice, few things I would change since your not going to game on it..

f6z7pc1xfomoo5xfq6sl_thumb.jpg

Much better monitor now, bigger hard drive, wifi adapter, better case etc

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭spannerotoole

The Problem with this setup is that the sound is onboard and software based sound. This is not a good idea, Have you considered a Linux Setup. There is not much faffing about with drivers on linux, (Nvidia and ATi cards require their drivers to be installed if you need 3d,but other than that) Remember also that windows licenses are too expensive for the price, Linux is Free, Nothing works with a MAC (Yamaha Keyboard Owners will know what I mean, also MAC doesn't have a Realtime Kernel). Try OpenSuse, I use it on a laptop with a creative soundblaster external and it works fine for audio, plays mp3 (might not encode to it though but OGG is better Quality than MP3)
    And if you don't like it, there's been no money wasted on an O/S and you can safely go out and pay microsoft to rape your new PC.

• Advertisement

Im not so sure now im going to go with Hardwareversand, bank transfer only etc.Il have a look elsewhere.

Spanerotoole:ll be using an external dac/soundcard.

Is very well supported on linux, give it a try, which card will you be using

Undecided on a DAC as of now Spanner as im still undecided on speaker setup, possibly a stello da100.

Just wondering in regards to fans and noise.I saw a few reviews on youtube on some of the cases Antec Sonatta etc.There was a demonstration showing the different fans speeds and how loud they are.Just wondering if your not gaming and mainly using the pc for photo/music is the low settings enough going on squalls setup above.

If you're using windows, I recommend x-fi elite pro, If you're using linux M-Audio.
    I don't recommend Macs for anything.

Advertisement