Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maori Tatoos

Options
  • 31-05-2008 10:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭

I have had a fascination with these for years and was wondering could someone give me some info on them i.e. meanings, types and where in ireland you could get a good one!

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭pvt.joker

Are you a Maori? If not then you shouldnt be getting one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Le Rack

check out some new zealand websites maybe but they are very much a personal tribe sort of thing, i know i've prob worded that all wrong but hopefully ye get me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 wheresmysheep

pvt.joker wrote: »
    Are you a Maori? If not then you shouldnt be getting one.
    Yeah if your not from a tribe, they normally get very annoyed and offended if you try make one for yourself. If you are going to do it, the only way to know your def getting something that actually means something, is to find an old fashioned maori tattooist. i say good luck with that, and if you do let me know as it would be great to meet one (seriously) If your going for maori style over here, it would be polynesian style you'll end up with as thats maori looking but with no meaning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

i will come back to this when im more sober...

:)
    For moari tattoos my money without a shadow of a doubt is with the Italians in Art Tattoo in Temple Bar.

As for the meanings I am not so well up on them. I know mine represent my family and rebirth... but the tattoo will just remind me of my time in France.

I have a friend who is Maori. I was apprehensive about showing him my tattoo because I thought it would offend him. I eventually showed it to him and explained why I was sheepish about it all, to which he replied
    "why would I be angry at someone who wants a part of my heritage on them..."

Any other kiwi's I show my tattoo all love it and think it's awesome that other people are interested in their culture.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭hunter164

Throw up a pic there.

it's somewhere in the tattoo thread that is stickied.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭hunter164

Alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭NukeD4

I think its the moko or facial tattos that are extremely personal to the wearer and the family,i know tha chiefs even signed treatys with their mokos design,but id agree with wilburt art tattoo seem to do alot of this and one of the artists is heavily inked with polynesian designs himself,
    http://www.dublinarttattoo.com/
    haha just looking at the portfolio,if its good enough for keith duffy and stephen gately...

haha he's changed the site around, the barry white music in the background is cheese-irific!

• Advertisement

haha yeah i thought i was being rickrolled,the japanese work seems to be getting better

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭d-gal

Cheers for all the info lads, now i have to decide where im gonna get one! I like when it starts on the front of the shoulder and comes onto the chest but anywhere really i guess. any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

yikes! ok, this is kinda relevant, but i went to the museum yesterday, and there was a whole section on maori tattooing, but fuuuuuuuck the instruments looked so crude! give me a needle machine any day! i took a pic, ill put it up later... and interestingly, when the chiefs and priests underwent moku, they were under tapu (taboo), and werent allowed to touch food, and had to be fed food through this weird sort of pipe thing, that was intricately woodcarved.

also interesting is that their woodcarvings are absolutely fantastic... and they tattoo'd before they woodcarved!

AS far as i can tell,or have learned is that the maori tattoos,are not so much tattoos as scarification and ink rubbing,ouch, but i have seen videos of traditional polynesian tattoos being done recently,and they are really similar to traditional japanese techniques,row of needles being banged in,
    i dont think that clears anything up at all

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

The tattoo's, facial ones, i guess your refering too, as far as i remember are mostly birds and pretty much some up your place in the "tribe". Also they are done after wars/battles. as much as i can remember right now.
    I can get you more information next time i see my uncle, him being maori, id trust in his words.

i dont think they're usually birds, cian, usually spirals and lines and stuff, that represent various things, but not bird pictures, certainly.

check out this site... http://www.teara.govt.nz/1966/M/MaoriArt/Tattooing/en

i dont think they're usually birds, cian, usually spirals and lines and stuff, that represent various things, but not bird pictures, certainly.

check out this site... http://www.teara.govt.nz/1966/M/MaoriArt/Tattooing/en

Well this is what i was told in new zealand at a sort of, maori night out kind of thing, its wasnt as touristy as it sounds at all btw.

But yeah, they told us briefly of what their tattoo's ment, and they are infact birds, made up of spirals and lines yes, but they are birds, for example the middle one, i.e. over nose and around mouth, is ussually an owl.

And nice one on the page, nice read.
    I love new zealand me! (:

nice country alright, im enjoying picking up my bits of Te Reo Maori, would love to learn it properly, really interesting language.

Agh, i'd love to be able to learn the language, but im just terrible at picking up any language. >.<
    I intend on moving to new zealand for a while once i leave school.

south island ftw!

• Advertisement

Milford sound and queens town, whats not to love!? :D
    maybe the smell of rotarua... :p

never been to any of hte above :D

we're too poor for that kinda jazz... soooooo wana go to queesntown though!

If your gonna go to queenstown try get there for the start of the ski season, loads of live bands and all that kinda stuff, its so much fun! :D

yeah, but super expensive. pretty good music scene here actually, at gigs most weeks :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭The Artist

talking of maori tattoo is mike tysons facial tattoo maori?
    Tyson-Front.jpg

No, just tribal in style.
    Moko have a lot of meaning behind them, his however, does not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭The Artist

Wilburt wrote: »
    No, just tribal in style.
    Moko have a lot of meaning behind them, his however, does not.
    just wondered thanks.
    So they all have differant way of meanings.
    i wouldnt have a clue about them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 fairygothmother

Yeah if your not from a tribe, they normally get very annoyed and offended if you try make one for yourself. If you are going to do it, the only way to know your def getting something that actually means something, is to find an old fashioned maori tattooist. i say good luck with that, and if you do let me know as it would be great to meet one (seriously) If your going for maori style over here, it would be polynesian style you'll end up with as thats maori looking but with no meaning.

why are they called two diferant styles then? you might want to watch out in case you annoy or offend a polynesian and then they might come and git ya. where are you getting your info ? off a cornflakes box ?:) bad news for you, the cornflakes lied

maoris originally came from polynesia, and there's a large polynesian population in new zealand too, but the maoris have their own culture, and styles. i don't know much about polynesian tattooing from a traditional standpoint, but there is a bit of a movement for the promotion of maori traditions and values here anyway, so it's a lot easier to learn about that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement