Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

'00 Focus 1.4 engine oil?

Options
  • 31-05-2008 10:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭

Have such a car in the driveway and need to service it tomorrow. Quick google for that car brings up 10w40 and 5w30 oil. Would have thought 10w40 myself. Not looking for anything other than adequete, so no suggestions of Magnetec etc pls.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I'd say 10W/40 would be OK. Nothing special about a 2000 1.4 Ford engine. 10k service intervals, so long life is not a consideration. But at the same time, 10k intervals rule out mineral oil. You'll need semi-synthetic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Yeah, I reckoned 10w40 will do it. Is there any mineral 10w40 -- I've never come across it, only SS? But then again I've never looked for mineral...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭maidhc

The recommended oil for pretty much all ford cars is 5w 30. The Formula E stuff ford sell is not exactly pricey. I think it is basically Shell Helix in a different bottle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 GUDBUDD2008

I have been advised before to use 5w30 ford oil as
    10w40 can cause more wear in the engine as it is slightly
    thicker.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

maybe ford updated or changes the engines in the cars around this time so there are two different specs?

• Advertisement

Thanks all. I used 5w30 in the end. A 1.4 DOHC engine that only produces 75bhp should not require (or be treated to) something as good as 5w30, but not my car, so...

Nice car to service. As easy as a Toyota. No need to jack it up always helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭rosboy

I was just down in a local car shop to get some oil for for my 00 1.4L Focus. I had 10W-40 in my hand at the counter and, because I know little about cars, just said to the guy at the checkout "That will be OK for a Focus?". He asked me what year, and then told me that it wouldn't do. He said that it would have to be 5W-30. 10W-40 could damage the engine after a few thousand mile. I wasn't sure how true that was, so did a quick search of Boards.ie before destroying my car! Looks like either will do from reading here, but I'll probably go with the 5W-30 anyways.

Edit: OK, so I was looking through the manual for my car, and struck oil. Unfortunately the online manual for the 00 Focus is different to the one I got with my car, so I have to type it out by hand....how last century is that:p
    Engine Oil Change

Ford Motor Company recommends the use of Ford/Motorcraft Formula E SAE 5W-30 engine oil. The engine in your vehicle was designed to use this oil. For optimum performance, this oil should be used at all times.

Alternative engine oil with the viscosity SAE 5W-30 meeting the requirement WSS-M2C913-A or WSS-M2c912-A1 may also be used.

Engine oil top-up

If you are unable to find an oil that meets any of these specifications, you must use an oil of teh viscosity SAE 5W-30, SAE 10W-40 or SAE 5W-40, according to ambient temperatures, meeting the requirements of either ACEA A1/B1 or ACEA A3/B3 specifications. Use of these oils may result in longer cranking periods, reduced engine performance, reduced fuel economy, and increased emission levels.

Ford Dealers are kept up to date regarding changes and improvements to the recommended oils

I've typed the above as it appears on p194 of my 00 Focus manual, Code number CG3321 06/1999. Anything that I've highlighted was highlighted in the original text.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

This is something I plan to do myself in the near future. Just a question on changing the oil in your focus, did you find it easy to do, and was there much space to manover under her, did you use jacks? thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭rosboy

Hal1 wrote: »
    This is something I plan to do myself in the near future. Just a question on changing the oil in your focus, did you find it easy to do, and was there much space to manover under her, did you use jacks? thanks.

I was just topping up the oil, rather than changing it. I had a service not long ago, so there was no need for a complete change.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

I used 10w-40 oil in my 03 1.4 Focus, it had 50k on the clock when I traded it in and it never missed a beat, only problem I ever had with it was the coil pack went which is a common fault

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

JHMEG wrote: »
    Have such a car in the driveway and need to service it tomorrow. Quick google for that car brings up 10w40 and 5w30 oil. Would have thought 10w40 myself. Not looking for anything other than adequete, so no suggestions of Magnetec etc pls.
    *TIP*
    If your servicing it yourself that engine takes exactly 3.8 litres of oil. Knowning this will speed things up a little;)

Hal1 wrote: »
    Very easy to do.. as easy as a Toyota. Nothing reqd other than a ratchet. Oil filter is very accessible - I was able to get tha off by hand.
    Plug wrote:
    If your servicing it yourself that engine takes exactly 3.8 litres of oil. Knowning this will speed things up a little
    I did this ages ago.. you're probably right.. I remember thinking that it took a lot of oil for a 1.4

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

JHMEG wrote: »
    I did this ages ago.. you're probably right.. I remember thinking that it took a lot of oil for a 1.4

Yeah your right most usually take about 3.5 or less.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

rosboy wrote: »
    I was just topping up the oil, rather than changing it. I had a service not long ago, so there was no need for a complete change.
    ya would want to make sure that who ever serviced it put in 5w-30 and not 10w-40

Plug wrote: »
    Yeah your right most usually take about 3.5 or less.
    Only other car that I've serviced that took 3.8L was my 2 litre Accord.

Advertisement