Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

dell are forcing vista again

• 31-05-2008 11:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭

just had a flick through small businnes pcs on the dell site

looks like they are forcing people to buy vista (now with sp1) with computers again, the option is there to buy a pc with xp but you must buy a vista liscense with it

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

If you buy Vista business you can use XP pro.
    So it's better to get the vista license for the same price

IIRC Dell have to install Vista first as per license agreement with Microsoft and THEN remove it and install XP !

Let's not forget many businesses wipe the factory installed OS and start over with a clean install or clone it with an image to get rid of the crud. - home uses can use the pcdecrapifier

Vista is the future , but for many not just yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

don't get me wrong - i love vista

but if a customer wants xp i'll sell them xp, but it will just cost them extra now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

On July 1st you wont be able to get XP anyway..

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/xpsp3_02.asp
    Beginning on July 1, it won't be possible to even purchase XP through normal means or acquire the aging OS with a new PC. (For the most part, that is: You will still be able to acquire Windows XP Home Edition with so-called Ultra-Low-Cost PCs, or ULCPCs.)

So they are just pre-empting that by the looks of it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,377 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

thought this was funny on the dell website, when you click on the "looking for xp" button, they offer you a choice of laptops with xp, basically a choice of one laptop

dellchoicestk6.gif

i think if your not happy buying vista you shouldn't buy... or you should by from somewhere else.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Large Business..
    Dell OptiPlex 740 ™ Minitower

starts off with home basic - which is no use to business (unless you are trying for a windows refund) , but gives all the options for XP /Vista

+ €40 gives you the choice of
    - XP Pro license + XP install - don't bother
    - Vista license + Vista install - fine if you want VISTA or have XP image
    - Vista license + XP install - great if you want XP , you will also have a vista license if you want to future proof. You can use magic jellybean key finder to backup the XP serial in case you need to reinstall XP later.

English - Genuine Windows ® Vista ™ Ultimate to XP Pro (Downgrade) [add € 90.00] upgrade the Basic to Ulitmate and the use that license for PRO, you can reinstall Vista later

English - Genuine Windows® XP Home Edition, SP2 (NTFS) [subtract € 5.00]yes this is the downgrade

English - Genuine Windows ® XP Professional, SP2 (NTFS)(+ Media) [add € 40.00]ignore this option as you won't have a vista license

English - (Downgrade)Genuine Windows Vista® Business to XP Pro [add € 40.00]choose this instead of the one above

English - Genuine Windows Vista Business 64 (OS Media) [add € 40.00]

Genuine Windows Vista ® Home Basic WITH Media - English [Included in Price] business:rolleyes:

Genuine Windows Vista® Ultimate (32Bit OS) Media - English [add € 90.00]

English - Genuine Windows Vista® Business (1gb RAM or higher) (32Bit OS [add € 40.00]same price as XP above, the only difference is which OS is preinstalled

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

And for a good lot of business not at all, they are holding out for Windows 7. W7 is due in two years according to MS and they have admitted that Vista is a bit a disaster compare to XP in sales. They hyped Vista too much and it is plagued with high minimum specs and p!ss poor third party driver support which are what I would view as 2 major make or break points to an OS.

I had to go from 2Gb to 4Gb of RAM when I ''upgraded'' to Vista to keep the same performance I had with XP. Imagine a business having to upgrade all their PC specs just to run a new OS which is just a little more secure than the one it replaced. ANd then upgrade again for 7?, thats why there are reports of them holding out and doing the jump later on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,860 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

And for a good lot of business not at all, they are holding out for Windows 7. W7 is due in two years according to MS and they have admitted that Vista is a bit a disaster compare to XP in sales. They hyped Vista too much and it is plagued with high minimum specs and p!ss poor third party driver support which are what I would view as 2 major make or break points to an OS.

I had to go from 2Gb to 4Gb of RAM when I ''upgraded'' to Vista to keep the same performance I had with XP. Imagine a business having to upgrade all their PC specs just to run a new OS which is just a little more secure than the one it replaced. ANd then upgrade again for 7?, thats why there are reports of them holding out and doing the jump later on.

Imagine the upgrade they had to make when going from 9x to NT/XP? Except now, RAM is dirt cheap, then it wasn't. W7 will have higher requirements than Vista.

Advertisement