Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Question about signing on technicalities.

• 01-06-2008 1:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 42

So I'm looking to sign on, I've been putting it off and putting it off, but now I'm thinking about it.
    If I sign on, I know they send out someone to see your residence etc, and the thing is I'm renting with 2 others, but its in a 'fancy' apartment. so what to do?
    Also because I'm living with 2 others, does it mean I have to put down their incomes? (as they are friends so they will be helping me out, but i'm not married to them or what not.)
    Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 wheresmysheep

27 views.....
    come on I'm actually looking for help here...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,339 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

They'll only send out someone to check your residency if you try and claim rent allowence as you live "in a fancy apartment" I doubt very much your landlord will accept rent allowance....so forget about it.....just go get the normal dole of €197.80 per week........it's nealy as easy claim the dole thses days you really have to prove you've been trying to get work after the first few months....if you were in employment you'll need to prove you were let you and did not volintary leave....

To be honest.....you'll get twice the money, have respect from you friends, be able to keep your "fancy apartment" if you just go get a job like the rest of us.....it's a pain in the ass but there's some **** you just got to do in life....:eek:

Its not a choice to go on the dole, its the fact I was let go in MARCH and still have not found employment and Im even with 3 agencies and only got 1 role from that that lasted 4hours as thats all they needed me for.
    I dont want rent allowance I just want the plain dole. the less I have the better. I just need money for food at this stage as I'm fed up scrounging off my friends.
    So again, Do I have to put down my two 'room mates' earnings even though I'm not in a relationship with either of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,339 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

No don't put down your flat mates on the form....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭aoife000

Its not a choice to go on the dole, its the fact I was let go in MARCH and still have not found employment and Im even with 3 agencies and only got 1 role from that that lasted 4hours as thats all they needed me for.
    So again, Do I have to put down my two 'room mates' earnings even though I'm not in a relationship with either of them.

surely even somewhere like mc donalds, burger king or a shop or something would employ you though??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 44 mcquaid2007

lol do i have to put my flatmates on the form...are u for real? wtf do they have to do with anything...

cause they ask how your affording rent etc.

aoife000 wrote: »
    surely even somewhere like mc donalds, burger king or a shop or something would employ you though??
    You'd be surprised how hard it is to find PT work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 dogsrod666

I've jsut finished a 4 year apprenticeship and at the start the wages were s***e. I had to move back in with my parents and couldn't afford anything but play patience on the computer. I never once though about the dole. That's for people who are unable to work. Is there something wrong with you that you're unable to hold a job? My first job was picking apples in an orchard. Earn yourself some respect and go find some work, any work. Don't be a dosser.,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭aoife000

You'd be surprised how hard it is to find PT work.

you don't think the rest of us have been there searching for work? no we wouldn't be surprised, cos u just get out there and do work, shop work, chippers, barwork, sweeping the roads etc. +1 to dogsrod!

OP you say you don't want to scrounge off your flatmates, but you're happy to scrounge off the rest of us instead! i find it impossible to accept that people like yourself can't get a job.

have you been actively looking for work? so you're with 3 agencies, maybe its cos you're relying on them to do the donkey work in finding a job for you. you need to go in everywhere and ask them if they're looking for work. work isn't gonna just land on your doorstep you need to actually go looking for it.

and y don't you get rid of the 'fancy apartment' and go for somewhere cheaper for a start. less money pressures. and that way our taxes which we work had for all week, while you're sitting dossing, are going towards something other than your fancy apartment... anyway that's just my tuppence worth. hope ya sort yourself out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 773 ✭✭✭echosound

judgemental much??

Is no-one seeing the way the economy is going- jobs are being cut left right and centre. In the past week alone quite a few of my close friends have been let go due to downturns in their respective companies. It's not as easy to just walk into a job as it has been for the past few years, as there's now more competition for even the likes of the Mcjobs. Over the past year, some acquaintances, who would have been in pretty good jobs,with good experience and qualifications under their belt, have struggled to find work, any work, often taking a few months to finally land another role. I'm not just talking about rural areas where jobs are not as plentiful either, some of these people have been Dublin based, with great jobs and great qualifications. Jobs are just not as easy to get as they once were, and you'd be naieve to think otherwise.

If the OP has been looking (and he says he has) and hasn't been offered anything as of yet, he's perfetly entitled to claim benefits, seeing as he presumably was paying taxes in the job he was working in up til March. PRSI = pay related social insurance. Insurance against being out of work temporarily. He paid for it out of his own wages, and is paying for it anytime he buys anything with VAT on it, which is pretty much everything.

Time to get off the high horses. Nobody knows if in a few year's time, or even a few month's time, they will find themselves out of work and struggling to keep a roof over your head until you manage to find something else. I suspect if that happened you wouldn't be long about signing on yourself and would then be self-righteous about doing so, as "you have paid taxes all your life".
    Well, so has the OP, so build a bridge.

dogsrod666 presumably because you were earning a wage while doing your apprenticeship, albeit low, you wouldn't have qualified for dole anyhow because you were earning and working a full week.

OP-AFAIK they may ask who you are sharing with, as they need to see how many of you are splitting the rent, and therefore how much outgoings you will have to keep a roof over your head.

Good luck with the jobhunt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

Gotta love the " get a job " replies in a forum about state benefits.Bordering on trolling tbh.

Can you not use your parents address as your place of residence ? In all honesty you should have signed on immediately after losing your job whilst using agencies.You would be entitled to a rent allowance also but as i said if you signed on in March you might be starting to get some payments now.Possible 9 week wait from when you sign on.
    I doubt very much your landlord will accept rent allowance

Legally he has to, i am sure they have a contract within some timeframe which he has to adhere to.I am sure the OP isn't looking at this as a long term solution so there is no reason to think the landlord would throw them out because of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

aoife000 wrote: »
    you don't think the rest of us have been there searching for work? no we wouldn't be surprised, cos u just get out there and do work, shop work, chippers, barwork, sweeping the roads etc. +1 to dogsrod!

OP you say you don't want to scrounge off your flatmates, but you're happy to scrounge off the rest of us instead! i find it impossible to accept that people like yourself can't get a job.

have you been actively looking for work? so you're with 3 agencies, maybe its cos you're relying on them to do the donkey work in finding a job for you. you need to go in everywhere and ask them if they're looking for work. work isn't gonna just land on your doorstep you need to actually go looking for it.

and y don't you get rid of the 'fancy apartment' and go for somewhere cheaper for a start. less money pressures. and that way our taxes which we work had for all week, while you're sitting dossing, are going towards something other than your fancy apartment... anyway that's just my tuppence worth. hope ya sort yourself out!

If you have been paying PRSI contributions during your working life to date, why the hell wouldnt you claim Jobseekers Benefit when you're in between job contracts.

Some of us are professionals with Degrees and Masters and positions, especially in fields such as Construction and Engineering are slow to come around at the moment so only a fool wouldnt claim Jobseekers Benefit when its available to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

d22ontour wrote: »
    Gotta love the " get a job " replies in a forum about state benefits.Bordering on trolling tbh.

Exactly, mods will have to do something about this..

A guy/ gal cant ask for any advice, without the working gives you self respect bull****...

OP: go to the dole office and dont tell them anything about who you are staying with, if you have been working for the last two years you should get your stamp and might not have to go on the dole..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

Tails142 wrote: »
    If you have been paying PRSI contributions during your working life to date, why the hell wouldnt you claim Jobseekers Benefit when you're in between job contracts.

Some of us are professionals with Degrees and Masters and positions, especially in fields such as Construction and Engineering are slow to come around at the moment so only a fool wouldnt claim Jobseekers Benefit when its available to them.

+1 PRSI is insurance [its what the bloody I stands for] that you pay while working for those times when you can't work, its your bloody money. I'm very suprised with how judgmental a number of people are beinging. I'm not saying anything one why or the other with regards to the OP's situation but this is a forum for state benefits which like it or not people are intitled to so replying with "get a job" comments are verging on trolling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Sqaull20 wrote: »
    Exactly, mods will have to do something about this..

A guy/ gal cant ask for any advice, without the working gives you self respect bull****...

OP: go to the dole office and dont tell them anything about who you are staying with, if you have been working for the last two years you should get your stamp and might not have to go on the dole..

Seconded. If you have PRSI contributions paid fro 2006 & 2007 you may qualify for Jobseekers Benefit. This is an entitlement and is not queried as much as Jobseekers allowance. You have already contributed for the Benefit through the PRSI deductions from your pay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 341 ✭✭Frankieboy

As someone already mentioned, some people here need to get of their high horses. Who the hell do you think you are, seriously.

The OP is an Irish citizen and is fully entitled to whatever he can get, god knows there is A LOT more people out there claiming more and have barely worked a day in their life's, if at all. You know you are!:D

I for one am in a similar situation as the OP, and may have to claim the dole, I DO NOT want to, really do not. But bills pile is getting higher.

To the OP hope you get work, but if you don't, don't feel ashamed about getting dole, it is your right after all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Some harsh replies here.

If the OP has made enough PRSI contributions then of course they should claim. It’s their money and that is what it’s there for.
    And if they haven't been working regularly then the inspector will judge their case and decide what happens. Either way, it’s likely the OP will pay back any dole they get 100 times over.
    If I lose my job (must cut down on using boards :D) then I’ll be claiming my benefits the next morning while I look for something else. It’s already been paid for and I wouldn't accept anyone looking down on me

Yes folks, it can be extremely difficult to get a job and it can be soul destroying to be constantly rejected. It can be even more difficult to get a part-time job, stroll over to Work forum to see posts on this. It was never that easy to get part-time work and now you have tens of thousands of extra people to compete against. (don't take the last sentance out of context)

Lads have you heard of the report post functionality?
    Modding is a voluntary job,we aren't paid and we would appreciate you the users clicking on that red triangle when you see something objectionable.
    Then it's guaranteed to be decided upon.
    I will not be tolerating abuse in the forum when I see it.

No post in this thread was reported.

However now that it has been brought to my attention,I'm going to use some of the mod utils on posters here that are out of order.

Advertisement