Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mobile Phone

• 01-06-2008 2:04am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭

I'm trying to figure out which mobile phone provider offers the best value tariffs. It's for my son and he'll mainly use it for text messages and the odd call.

We're considering getting the Samsung E250. I picked up a leaflet in Tesco tonight and notice that their tariff is cheaper than other providers. Has anyone any experience of using the Tesco network, if so what's the coverage like and is it really cheaper than the other providers?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

Yeah Tesco Mobile are good, this phone is €40 with €48 free call credit. (€20 if you send in an old SIM card, and an extra €10 top-up card special offer)

But Meteor still offer the best all round value with their Anytime Plus tariff. Their other tariffs work out more expensive. You can check with Customer Care that you're on this tariff, and if not switch. Meteor is better value than Tesco Mobile because you get:

* Free voicemail. Tesco charge 20c per min
    * 300 free web texts every month, web texts are sent from the Meteor web site. Tesco don't give any free web texts
    * Meteor have no minimum call charge, they charge per second. Tesco's minimum call charge is one minute, that's 20c for every call once it's answered.
    * Calls to Meteor Customer Care are free, Tesco charge 30c per call.
    * Meteor have special offers that extend your credit because they lower the price of your calls and texts. For example, 5c calls/free texts to other Meteor numbers when you top-up by €20. Tesco have bundles you have to pay extra for, they don't help you use less credit.

Meteor offer the Sagem MY411x with free Bluetooth headset for €59. There's 2 Meteor phones available online at PowerCity.ie for €44, including the Samsung C300. Harvey Norman and XtraVison stores sometimes have special offers on Meteor phones too. If you have an old Meteor (or unlocked) phone just pick up a free SIM in any Meteor store with €10 call credit and stick it in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,249 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

deisemum wrote: »
    he'll mainly use it for text messages and the odd call.

Chepest text messages in the country are on 3......5cent picture, text or video messages for life, no €20 top up required it's a flat rate all the time to any network....also if he tops up by €10pm 3 will give him €10 credit back at the end of every monty for 8mts.....all the other networks demand you top up by €20pm to get free credit...

SonyK610i (€99) or Nokia 6151(€79) both phones have cameras, bluetooth & mp3 palyers which any young fella will require.. ...........your son won't be dissapointed.....and you'll only have to buy him €10 credit per month so he'll have €20....

if you go for the sony he'll also be able to use microsoft messanger for free.....If you mention the sony to him I bet he already knows it....I think it's young chaps phone of choice these days...

Call cost are....

Calls to Meteor, Vodafone & 02 ---- 35cent per minute..
    Calls to landlines - 18cent per minute...
    Calls to any 3 number --- 18cent per minute..
    Picture, Video & text messages -- 5cent to all networks...
    Video calling your son to make sure he's not up to mischief --- Priceless;)

All calls are charged per second and not per minute...

3 partner with Vodafone so you'll be fine for coverage...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭deisemum

Thank you so much for your replies.

I had a Sagem mobile on Meteor a few years back and it was dreadful, the coverage wasn't good and the buttons were a bit wobbly (felt more like a toy) and I don't think I even used all the credit on the phone as it just frustrated me so much.

I'm going to take him into my local Meteor shop this afternoon as you've shown how their tarriff works out cheaper and then go to 3 and compare both.

He's nearly 11 and this will be his first phone though he's been using a relic his granny passed on to him a few years back.

His older brother has the Nokia 6280 on 3 (a prize I won last year) and thinks it's great. I notice the Nokia 6288 is now down to €99 if bought online.

The younger lad likes the Sony Ericsson K610i and all it's functions. The main uses will be texting, video and camera functions and mp3 player.

You've both opened my eyes to how much I've been paying over the odds with Vodafone.

Thanks again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭deisemum

We got the Sonyk610i on the 3 network and it turns out most of his friends are also on the 3 network. He's a happy camper now so thank you both for all your help

Advertisement