Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fawlty Towers

• 01-06-2008 4:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭

Just been watching some of the old episodes on google video -- hilarious stuff altogether!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

"Don't mention the war!" Never get tired of the Waldorf Salad episode. I have the DVDs. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

The greatest sitcom ever. If ever there's a DVD box set worth getting, it's that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

¿qué?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭1huge1

Britains best comedy of all time, and thats quiet a statement considering the amount of high quality comedies they've produced over the years.

Picked up the dvd boxset for about €12 there about 2 years ago with every single episode.

Best moment: mrs richards couldnt hear him because she didnt want to turn up the volume on her hearing aid as it wasted the batteries, He then tried to write it down but she couldn't read it without her glasses, Basil tries to tell her their on her head but she couldn't hear him...

Classic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

"ORILLY? ... You ORILLY men? you are big (hideous) ou-rang-u-tang" Classic by Manuel and Basil (on the phone) when the builders were in the hotel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qiYPCb3qNY&feature=related ...

• Advertisement

1huge1 wrote: »
    ...Picked up the dvd boxset for about €12 there about 2 years ago with every single episode.

that was lucky :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

kerry4sam wrote: »
    "ORILLY? ... You ORILLY men? you are big ou-rang-u-tang" Classic by Manuel and Basil (on the phone) when the builders were in the hotel

Don't forget Sybil and her "a half-witted, thick Irish joke" about O'Reilly the builder (David Kelly) comment! :eek: :D People would be up in arms these days.

Ruu wrote: »
    Don't forget Sybil and her "a half-witted, thick Irish joke" about O'Reilly the builder (David Kelly) comment! :eek: :D People would be up in arms these days.

Sybil to ORILLY "I have seen more intelligent creatures than you lying on their backs at the bottoms of ponds. I have seen better organized creatures than you running round farmyards with their heads cut off :D Now collect your things and get out. I never want to see you or any of your men in my hotel again"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Hard to pick a favourite but the interaction bewtween Basil and the major was priceless, not to mention the episode with the Australian (?) female guest who Basil gets accidently intimate with.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Impossibe to pick a best episode they were all great but the one with Manuel and his rat when the health inspector :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igxDVI4Jva4&feature=related

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,502 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

The fire drill (the first 15 minutes of the German episode).

Glad someone else appreciates the Major as well (loved his 'I took her to see India' line*).

*at The Oval

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

The Major was the best. The episode with the Germans, where he thinks the stuffed Moose head was talking to him :D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,016 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Picked up the complete boxset in my local music store for 20 euro last Christmas.. was clearing out old stock and had a voucher.

Ashamed to say it's still in the plastic.. might unwrap it this evening and give it a watch!

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭brousuka

It was and still is hilarious. The only thing is that Cleese is just not as funny in these American films he's being doing ( and making a load of cash out of), probably because I'm expecting the same character type as Basil which I think will never be duplicated by him, or, any other actor. "Clockwise" being nearly the only exception.

brousuka wrote: »
    It was and still is hilarious. The only thing is that Cleese is just not as funny in these American films he's being doing ( and making a load of cash out of), probably because I'm expecting the same character type as Basil which I think will never be duplicated by him, or, any other actor. "Clockwise" being nearly the only exception.

I totally agree and was told to watch 'Clockwise' lastnight on RTE and it certainly didn't disappoint me...one of the few (Ratrace another) where i thought he was funny

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

kerry4sam wrote: »
    Sybil to ORILLY "I have seen more intelligent creatures than you lying on their backs at the bottoms of ponds. I have seen better organized creatures than you running round farmyards with their heads cut off :D Now collect your things and get out. I never want to see you or any of your men in my hotel again"

Ah..which one is man with beard?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

Some boardsie has a classic line from it in their sig...

Well, may I ask what you were expecting to see out of a Torquay hotel bedroom window? Sydney Opera House, perhaps? The Hanging Gardens of Babylon? Herds of wildebeasts roaming majestically through the plains...
    Classic..! :D

Definitely putting on the boxset this evening!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭mental07

Some boardsie has a classic line from it in their sig...

Well, may I ask what you were expecting to see out of a Torquay hotel bedroom window? Sydney Opera House, perhaps? The Hanging Gardens of Babylon? Herds of wildebeasts roaming majestically through the plains...
    Love it! That's my favourite episode! I've the box set too, haven't watched in a while though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

basquille wrote: »
    Classic..! :D

Definitely putting on the boxset this evening!

You keep saying this but will you ever get around to it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

I love the "don't mention the war" episode and the one where manuel(sp) has a rat called basil when the inspector comes calling. And the one when the psychiatrists were staying at the hotel.....

There all class. Must get the box set. I've been meaning to get it for a while now.

You keep saying this but will you ever get around to it?
    Now that you mention it, I actually watched 5 / 6 of the 1st season last night.

Still as great as I remember.

'The Hotel Inspectors' episode still remains one of my favourites.. hilarious!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

maunel! there is too much butter on those trays.

que?

there is to much butter on... those... trays..

no no no, no "on those trays".. "uno, dos, tres".

genius

This thread needs more clips! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Apologies for this

Wrong on every level

Mike.

More quality programming from RTÉ! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

SSSSSSSSSSPPPPPPPPPPPPOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONS!!!
    1huge1 wrote: »
    Best moment: mrs richards couldnt hear him because she didnt want to turn up the volume on her hearing aid as it wasted the batteries, He then tried to write it down but she couldn't read it without her glasses, Basil tries to tell her their on her head but she couldn't hear him...

Classic

I liked the bit where he started miming in front of her, so she thought the hearing aid was broken, then turned it up and Basil screams at her.

Never gets old, never gets not funny.

How To: Manage Your Staff http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQ3cmoyiYaM&feature=related

as done in : Fawlty Towers / Watery Fowls / Flat Otters / Warty Towels / Fatty Owls / Flowery Twats / Farty Towels...

You really can't go far wrong now can you :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭youngblood

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,137 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Yeah. Think that's a mistake.

I mean I love Fawlty Towers (In a wanna-claw-your-eyes-out-and-curl-up-into-a-single-point-with-cringe.... way). The same way I always did. It is of its time, but hey. Again. No problems. The "W" word will be bandied about soon and I'm not interested in that conversation either.

No, I think it's a mistake simply because I don't think it will be funny. When was the last genuinely successful renewal of an old show? Especially a comedy show?

I'm not of the mindset "Oh there are no new ideas. Everything's a remake/reboot/sequel". But shows like this had their day. They were fun. They may still be fun. But leave them die. Do we want to see Del and Rodney becoming crypto-bros?

So nah, not interested really.

Advertisement