Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parnell Square

Options
  • 01-06-2008 4:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭

Why is it such a kip?

I mean, pre-63 slumlord properties in 2008???

There's some magnificent architecture round Dublin 1 -- when are we going to clean up our act and restore this area to its former glory?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭judas101

"bleedin forgingers"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Cantab. wrote: »
    Why is it such a kip?

I mean, pre-63 slumlord properties in 2008???

There's some magnificent architecture round Dublin 1 -- when are we going to clean up our act and restore this area to its former glory?

Great question.

I seriously think that the government should issue complusory restoration order's on the owner's of all properties on Parnell Sq.

Any owner's not complying should be issued with compulsory purchase order's & lose them forever.

I know the hard pressed tax payer might have something to say, but its a lovely piece of Dublin going to ruin.

judas101 wrote: »
    "bleedin forgingers"

I think your talking about Parnell St.

Mostly the changes here have been good, but at night its a pretty sinister looking place with Roma & West African's hanging around in their droves.

I recently listened to a radio interview with Senator David Norris who spoke about some homophobic abuse he'd had when passing the Polish Pub.

If I was a young Irish man or woman this is a place I'd avoid after dark.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

There are two sides to Parnell street as it corsses O Connell street

The Ilac centre side of Parnell street is actually fairly quiet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Dinter

Mairt wrote: »
    Great question.

I seriously think that the government should issue complusory restoration order's on the owner's of all properties on Parnell Sq.

Any owner's not complying should be issued with compulsory purchase order's & lose them forever.

I know the hard pressed tax payer might have something to say, but its a lovely piece of Dublin going to ruin.

When I was in college about seven years ago I had to do a report on DCC's plan to introduce those kind of reforms on O'Connell street.

As far as I remember shop facades were going to need planning permission to make the slightest change and it was thought this would force shop owners into having to improve their shop fronts more than the horrible aluminium and glass that was there at the time.

Although there have been some great public works, landscaping etc done along there, overall there hasn't been much of a change on the facades.

I just don't think there is the will.

Afaik landlords up around Parnell sq are purposely allowing their properties to fall into disrepair so they can demolish them and build something else.

All you've to do is look at the houses on the left hand side as you drive over the Portobello canal bridge towards Rathmines. They all had their protection orders removed in the last few months. A pretty good chance they'll be gone soon enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

The Ilac centre side of Parnell street is actually fairly quiet

The other side has some tasty chinese places, but it's certainly not the kind of place I'd like to be walking round at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Apologies for being pedantic but O'Connell Street Upper doesn't divide Parnell Street. It intersects with it but Parnell Street is continuous from Capel Street to Gardiner Street.

PS - I think the thread is about Parnell Square anyway.

zAbbo wrote: »
    but it's certainly not the kind of place I'd like to be walking round at night.

Or broad day light for that matter!.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Mairt wrote: »

That happened on Parnell Street but had he walked for ten minutes it could have happened anywhere. The guy was obviously deranged in some way, possibly concussed after the beating he had had, or possibly under the influence of some substance - he didn't say, 'oh I'm on Parnell Street, let's clock someone'.

Mr.S wrote: »
    that could have happened anywhere though.

Yes, but it happened on Parnell St and thats the area we're discussing otherwise I could have posted of an assault in Beirut :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Dinter wrote: »

Afaik landlords up around Parnell sq are purposely allowing their properties to fall into disrepair so they can demolish them and build something else.
    A large number of them are owned by an elderly husband and wife. They bought them with the intention of saving them from demolition but as they've gotten older they're allowing them fall into disrepair, I think they're essentially broke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 410 ✭✭flynnc8

a guy I know was renting a room in one of the buildings on Parnell Square, 50euro a week.. The place was like a squat, broken windows and dull cobwebbed filled hallways..

It looked derelict even tho there where a number of people renting there including elderly men and woman.. It was awful..

I definitly think these buildings should be grade listed or soemthing like that, otherwise there will be nothing left of Old Dublin...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

jdivision wrote: »
    A large number of them are owned by an elderly husband and wife. They bought them with the intention of saving them from demolition but as they've gotten older they're allowing them fall into disrepair, I think they're essentially broke.
    flynnc8 wrote: »
    a guy I know was renting a room in one of the buildings on Parnell Square, 50euro a week.. The place was like a squat, broken windows and dull cobwebbed filled hallways..

It looked derelict even tho there where a number of people renting there including elderly men and woman.. It was awful..

I definitly think these buildings should be grade listed or soemthing like that, otherwise there will be nothing left of Old Dublin...
    I'd be a lot more worried about Henrietta Street. I almost feel like crying each time I walk along it. Parnell Square (with a few notable exceptions) is fairly mediocre in my opinion.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,529 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

I'd be a lot more worried about Henrietta Street. I almost feel like crying each time I walk along it. Parnell Square (with a few notable exceptions) is fairly mediocre in my opinion.
    Fully agree with you(Henrietta st.worry and Parnell sq.mediocrity.
    In fairness Parnell sq itself (at least on 3sides is fine; N.,E.,S.)
    I like it around Parnell st.E. lately. The chinese shops add a real buzz to the place, especially on a dark, cold winter evening. The lights, smells and people add a bit of action and life where previously there wasn't a lot going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Demonique

The other side has some tasty chinese places, but it's certainly not the kind of place I'd like to be walking round at night.

As well as the Chinese (and also Korean if my memory serves me) places, there's also the dire Paddy's Petshop. They were featured on Naked Camera, insisting that a rabbit was eight weeks old when it was clearly and adult and also insisting that a python would make an excellent guard dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

humberklog wrote: »
    In fairness Parnell sq itself (at least on 3sides is fine; N.,E.,S.)
    I like it around Parnell st.E. lately. The chinese shops add a real buzz to the place, especially on a dark, cold winter evening. The lights, smells and people add a bit of action and life where previously there wasn't a lot going on.

Couldn't have said it better myself. It's full of life in the evening time, with some great restaurants and pubs. Music often fills the air from Zagloba, and the Karaoke bars along the street.

I like walking around it at night, and I'm a softy.

Advertisement