Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

water intake

Options
  • 01-06-2008 9:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭

im just trying to get an idea as to what water intake people usually go through on a spin ( apart from rainwater) at the moment im going through about 2 litres for a two hour spin. anyone else?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

I thought optimum was closer to 750 mls an hour, although that would be isotonic. If you're going to stray over 2 hours, or beyond 'cruising' speed too often then I would be looking to drink isotonic rather than just water

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Two litres for a two hour spin?
    750ml an hour?

Way too much, at least for me anyways. 400-500ml per hour unless its warm weather training and the intensity is high.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

About the same for me, normally bring about a litre an hour and come back with a little bit at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

tunney wrote: »
    Two litres for a two hour spin?
    750ml an hour?

Way too much, at least for me anyways. 400-500ml per hour unless its warm weather training and the intensity is high.

theory and practise are very different beasts. On a 6 hour spin in winter I would still only have had 2 bottles on the bike, occasionally a third in the jacket.

If you want to replace every last drop as you cycle then 750 is the figure in my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭avalanche

ok so sounds like 2 litres should be enough, do you rekon in terms of water storage this would do the trick? or would a bigger resevoir be recommended?

http://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=188&idproduct=6269

presuming i can refill it along the way. can anyone recommed good iso suppliments?

again thanks,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

i'd usually take about 700mls water and700mls 4:1 high 5, and get through them both in 2 hours or so - yesterday was particularly hot, so had to top up with a bottle of luco sport along the way - was out for just under 3 hours

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

OP are you heading for Mount Everest? All you honestly need is a litre with you at most

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭rughdh

I was out yesterday for eight hours on 1.5 litres of water and 2 cups of tea. The wife needed a bit more water, but no more than 2.5 litres. But that's just us. Some people may sweat more than others, depends on physiology and fitness levels (or maybe we are underhydrating a tad).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

rughdh wrote: »
    I was out yesterday for eight hours on 1.5 litres of water and 2 cups of tea. The wife needed a bit more water, but no more than 2.5 litres. But that's just us. Some people may sweat more than others, depends on physiology and fitness levels (or maybe we are underhydrating a tad).
    I drink close to that just sitting at my desk! :eek: I'd say you are completely underhydrating

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭bunnygreen

Depending on your size and how hot it is you really should be fine with between 500-750 mls an hour,everyone is different of course and you need to experiment,i hear that in very extreme situations over hydrating is very bad for you,no fear of that here i think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭rob1891

I went through 3 litres over a 5/6 hour spin on Saturday (camelback/off-road). Actually ran out and got that dehydration headache on the final climb. All cured by a cold pint of Bulmers at the end, was wondering if a Guiness would have more protein in it to aid muscle recovery ;-)

I'd usually hydrate before going out, try and drink a pint or more 15/20 min before leaving so it is deep in my stomach and doesn't come up as reflux/indigestion when I'm on the bike. Then you can carry less on the bike.

My brother sweats so much he has salt caked on his skin when he gets home. He has a dual bottle holder hanging off the seatpost and two cages on the frame. Everyone is different. I'd be trying to drink enough so that my piss hasn't changed colour by the time I'm home, that's a fairly simple guage.

So anyway, what is the best post workout beer?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

kerry4sam wrote: »
    OP are you heading for Mount Everest? All you honestly need is a litre with you at most
    No way would a litre do me, was out for an close to two hours today and went through nearly 1.7 litres. Could of done with a little more too.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I did a long spin on Friday (8h20, 191km) and drank in the region of 4 litres. This was possibly too little; I was getting a headache at the end (along with nausea, bonk, and hyper-sensitivity to the road surface.) Probably needed to eat more too but couldn't as I was feeling so sick. 103km the previous evening (3h40) I had around 1.5 litres and was fine. I think it matters a lot more on the longer cycles, sub two hours you can probably get away with whatever. I do also find the weather makes a huge difference, I'd do 2 hour cycles in winter on nothing but would be lashing down the water touring in Spain.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭avalanche

Hi, it sounds pretty much like horses for courses so to speak. I do find i can drink water all day long on the bike.

i came across this link which is pretty good. pretty detailed questions though.dont ask how it works but the end result was that i need to drink about 3Litres according to last weekends condition. 3L??

http://www.hydraopt.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

i remember reading an article about this kind of thing a while ago, but the details are fuzzy. the main thrust of it was that we all use water differently as we respire and sweat so there's no hard rules.

one thing it did say which i thought was interresting (though i haven't done it) was to weigh yourself (nude), do an hour of pretty hard effort without water, and then weigh yourself again (nude - otherwise you'll be weighing a lot of sweat as well) and you'll get an idea of the amount of fluids you're losing per hour. would vary with temperature and exertion level though...

Advertisement