Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Storm near Baltinglass Co.Wicklow 31/5/08

• 01-06-2008 11:09am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭

Some shots from my chase. How quick the weather changed from glorious sunny skies to fierce skies in just a few miles.
    Was heading out to the midlands when i noticed a growing CB over the mountains so i detoured that way along the M50 and then the N81.

Blessington was very warm with temps of 23.1c
    Baltinglass TS with soft hail with temps of 10.2c

Witnessed 7 strikes all IC with loud rumbles of thunder about 2 miles south of Baltinglass.Storm headed off towards Carlow town direction.

DSC00319.jpg
    Heading south towards Blessington 1 mile from the town

DSC00321.jpg
    On the N81 towards Baltinglass

DSC00323.jpg

DSC00324.jpg

DSC00325.jpg

DSC00328.jpg
    Stopped 2 miles south of Baltinglass in a wicked downpour. Sky was obscured and just missed a IC on camera.

DSC00329.jpg

DSC00331.jpg

DSC00333.jpg

DSC00336.jpg
    Convection over Mt Leinster

DSC00335.jpg

DSC00338.jpg
    Headed back through another weak storm on the way home.

DSC00337.jpg
    Clearing skies

DSC00339.jpg

DSC00341.jpg
    All these sheep where huddled under the tree on the left and moved out when the storm cleared.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,235 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Nice pics - that's the CB I could see here most of the day - didn't move much all afternoon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Great pics! the 5th pic looks like there's a tornado on the ground. you can see what looks like a faint vortex :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,090 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Hal1 wrote: »
    Great pics! the 5th pic looks like there's a tornado on the ground. you can see what looks like a faint vortex :D

It looks well formed to me. What wind speed would be generated in that?
    It must have touched down in the middle of nowhere or else i'd imagine there would be talk about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

No lads just a rain/hail shadow. Trust me if i saw some rotation i would have travelled up and got a closer look.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,489 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Great result for your chase, looks like you caught the best action of the day there.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Supercell wrote: »
    Great result for your chase, looks like you caught the best action of the day there.
    As always, i enjoy it. Had to return home early as i had a social gathering (piss up) to go to that night:(:D

The route i would was originally taken would the be the way of the N4 towards the midlands even though i knew time was against me.Good call as i knew the storms would have been driven westwards(and out of bounds) by the east wind, the convection was surprisingly slow until later.

I was rewarded by my detour southwards towards Wicklow as an east wind, forcing(LI) valley warming from the mtns and anywhere in west Wicklow/Carlow or Kildare is happy days if the CAPE is right. Always delivers. In fact today was the opposite with Arklow/Gorey getting the storms from the same setup with a different wind direction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Nic shots Snowbie. Are you sure that wasn't a touch down though? Looks like an F2 at least..:eek:

Advertisement