Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Where to Drive.?.

Options
  • 01-06-2008 12:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭

So, with the great weather we're having and our great roads... Wait, that last bit is wrong.

Anyways, seeing as everyone around here loves cars I assume you must love driving them. Anyone care to name they're favourite drive. I'm looking for something fun to drive and some nice scenery. Plot it out on Google maps if you want...

I usually head up towards Sallys Gap n try n get lost. Found a great road last year but for the life of me can't remember where the hell it was. Was somewhere near Powerscourt tho...

All I have are these photos I took...

DSC01750%20%28Custom%29.JPG?imgmax=912

DSC01731%20%28Custom%29.JPG?imgmax=912

Anyone know it??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭*Tripper*

Photos aren't working? Well I just drove from Galway to Dublin in 1.50, not bad! Love just driving up to Wicklow and getting lost to, but there are some amazing roads in Monaghan!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

West Clare.
    Corkscrew Hill, drive it and you'll know why it's called that.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭alpina

Day like today head for the Burren...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

M50 Southbound, all the way south.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭cianclarke

Up by sally gap, and the road from there straight through the crossroads down to Laragh is the best I've found so far around Dublin, but I'm getting pretty bored of that route! Wicklow gap is a nice one too.
    Would love to hear further suggestions. Anywhere nice along the north Dublin coast or the likes?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

unklerosco wrote: »
    So, with the great weather we're having and our great roads... Wait, that last bit is wrong.

Anyways, seeing as everyone around here loves cars I assume you must love driving them. Anyone care to name they're favourite drive. I'm looking for something fun to drive and some nice scenery. Plot it out on Google maps if you want...

I usually head up towards Sallys Gap n try n get lost. Found a great road last year but for the life of me can't remember where the hell it was. Was somewhere near Powerscourt tho...

All I have are these photos I took...

DSC01750%20%28Custom%29.JPG?imgmax=912

DSC01731%20%28Custom%29.JPG?imgmax=912

Anyone know it??

drive the coast roads at 4-6:45 a.m.....

no traffic and its warm enough to just wear a shirt :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

People still drive around for the craic given today's fuel prices? Lucky for some I say!

Driving down along the Wicklow coast I always found to be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

Coast near Bayside is nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Hotwheels

micmclo wrote: »
    West Clare.
    Corkscrew Hill, drive it and you'll know why it's called that.

Start at the top of Ballyallaban (2.2 miles) then hang a left for Corkscrew...try them both ways :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

The Conor Pass down in Dingle is amazing.

Need to have your wits about you though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,317 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I know you are looking for routes near Dublin, but seeing as others have posted faraway ones: the Antrim Coast Road has to be top of the list!

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A2_road_(Northern_Ireland)

"....Larne, beyond which the most notable section of the road, the Antrim Coast Road, begins. This has been compared to Australia's Great Ocean Road and Big Sur in California. It is regarded as one of Ireland's most scenic drives. The road here is not a primary route and is narrow but lightly used. This section of the road closely follows the coast through the villages of Ballygalley, Glenarm, Carnlough, Waterfoot and Cushendall before leaving the coast, which it rejoins at Ballycastle."

Another quote:

According to the Jacob's Creek survey, the top 10 views from which to enjoy a glass of wine are:

1. Sydney Harbour Bridge and Opera House;
    2. Mauritius - Watching the sunset from a hot tub;
    3. Lake Wakatipu, Queenstown in New Zealand;
    4. Victoria Falls, Zambia;
    5. Antrim Coast Road, Northern Ireland;
    6. Bora Bora, French Polynesia;
    7. Grand Canyon, Arizona, USA;
    8. The ruins of Machu Picchu, Peru;
    9. Buachaille Etive Mor, Glencoe, Scotland;
    10. Angel Falls, Venezuela.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 65,429 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

The Conor Pass down in Dingle is amazing.

I'll second that. The views are good but much more impressive to me was the lack of traffic up there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Thrain

I just got back from a drive myself! I got stopped at a checkpoint on the home stretch, Garda asked where I was coming from and I told him I was just out for a drive. Looked at me like I was mad and breathalised me!

A nice short one is the rocky valley drive. If you're heading south on the n11, hang a right at Kilmacanogue, and head out on the road towards Roundwood. About 2-3 minutes after Kil, there is a fork in the road, with the Roundwood road contiuning on and the other one, signposted for enniskerry, goes right. Take the right, and a little way down there is a sharp right signposted Rocky Valley drive. Very nice lookouts over the south end of dublin and north wicklow. Nice enough around eveningtime, or dusk. Very narrow roads though! Not very quick, and need to be paying attention to headlight beams over the crests and corners! :D

Another nice drive is to head the back way into enniskerry, along the same road before turning off to rocky. From there you can head to kilteranan and onto stepaside, taking a left opposite the garda station. This road will (eventually!) bring you out next to Johnny Fox's. Take a right (wow, I'm all about the rights today!)and follow that to a T junction. Take a left here and keep going. This will bring you up to what I think is military road or something, didn't have my GPS with me that day to tell me! This road has some other nice lookouts, and is pretty cool to drive at sunset, as it sets over the hills on the other side of the valley. The road eventually ends up coming out near sally gap methinks, with a fork in the road going the opposite direction. Swing back around and follow the road on the left, which will lead you back to enniskerry, after winding around the edge of another valley.

Hope these help! Be careful out there!

^ Big time LR confusion there! :D

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭2 Espressi

here are four pretty good driver's roads...

http://octane.ie/news/features.php?id=2

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

+1 Monaghan Roads, the drumlin farney county.

My Fav so far is the Louth coast run,

Stretches from Carlingford down to Drogheda.

Carlingford - Dundalk - Blackrock - Castlebellingham - Annagalsin - Port Beach - Clogherhead - Termonfeckin - Drogheda.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

The ring of Kerry is a fairly obvious one, I did it yesterday. :)

Funny that 'Similar Threads' at bottom of page all refer to Disk Drives! :D

Not your ornery onager

Advertisement