Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Drinks ban trouble

• 01-06-2008 12:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭

Tube flash-mob party sparks mayhem

The alcohol ban on London's transport system has started, after a night of partying on the Underground during which 17 people were arrested. Six stations had to be closed as thousands of people gathered on the network in advance of the ban.

Passengers are now barred from having open containers of alcohol on the Underground, London buses, Docklands Light Railway and trams.

Union leaders have described Mayor Boris Johnson's policy as "half-baked".
    The drinkers gathered on tube trains and station concourses for a last drink hours before the ban came into effect on Saturday night

_44706381_liverpool-getty.jpg
    Liverpool Street station concourse

Trains damaged

The party, mostly on the Circle Line, was dubbed the Last Round on the Underground. It had previously been widely advertised on social networking and other internet sites. The party began in a celebratory mood, with many people in good spirits and anticipating a good night. But four Underground drivers, three other staff members and two police officers were assaulted, when trouble flared. Several trains were also damaged and withdrawn from service

Police said what should have been a fun event came to an "unfortunate" end.
    Liverpool Street Underground station was closed for several hours to ease overcrowding. Other tube stations closed by police were Euston, Euston Square, Aldgate, Gloucester Road and Baker Street.

Transport for London's Director of Transport Policing and Enforcement, Jeroen Weimar, said the new policy on alcohol was a reasonable one.

"We are encouraging our passengers to show a bit more respect and to be more considerate and involve other people's views and other passengers' views as they make their journeys," he said.

Two police officers injured and a police car damaged, not to mention the travelling public intimidated and subjected to anti-social behaviour....exactly what the ban is supposed to address. Has the flash-mob phenomenon hit Ireland yet?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Brilliant idea for a good time if you ask me.

Shame there's always a couple of muppets who make the whole lot out to be rowdy drunks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

Really did re-enforce the idea of banning alcohol on the tube system

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭metman

Had the powers that be cleared 1 TSG to enter City ground ........we would have cleared Liverpool St in next to no time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Fyr.Fytr

Seems like a good idea and a bit of craic to begin with, then few muppets went too far.

Probs didnt send tsg in for the fact that it was proberably only 1 or 2 eegits

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭Eru

Fyr.Fytr wrote: »
    Seems like a good idea and a bit of craic to begin with, then few muppets went too far.

Probs didnt send tsg in for the fact that it was proberably only 1 or 2 eegits

And what about the thousands of people who actually wanted to use public transport to get home?

You want to party go to a club not a train! These people, mostly lazy students Im guessing, need to realise that they are not the centre of the universe and start showing some consideration for others. I guarantee there were a lot of people using the service that felt threatened and distressed by this action.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

I have to concur with Karlitosway, I don't use public transport anymore and when I did I was living in Ballyfermot the 78A is infamous and the 77 is just as bad. Some of the stuff I seen was outrageous, smoking gear on a bus where else would you get:eek: At least once there stoned they mostly just goof off, but the aggressivity that goes with alcohol just don't mix with public transport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

The problem isn't the alcohol on the tube (in this case) though. the problem is the people who can't handle alcohol. They're gonna find their way on to the tube anyway!

It was the last night before it was banned so people made a party out of it having a laugh before it was illegal.

The mood seems to be mostly good bar one of two gob****es who took the mick and ruined it for the rest.

It was the last night before it was banned so people made a party out of it having a laugh before it was illegal.

The mood seems to be mostly good bar one of two gob****es who took the mick and ruined it for the rest.

Maybe I'm biased as I spent alot of my working day with these type of muppets. They think that they have the right to do as the feel around alcohol, seriously who gets breathalysed at a clinic gets either half or none of the meds because of it and then thinks its ok to drive off sometimes with kiddes in the car:eek:

It sounds a bit off topic, but from my experience its usually people with this type of mentality that provoke this kind of disturbance.

Its a case of I'm stoned/drunk and enjoying myself and if its at you expense tough. The sad thing is they see it as great crack:(

It those the mess up everything for all the other law abiding people.

As i said most are law abiding, it was designed for people to have a couple of beers before it was outlawed.

No doubt the night before the smoking ban many people sparked up in pubs just because they could, for the last time.

All I'm saying is i bet 99% were no hassel (likewise 99% of people who go out in towns and citys for a few beers are no hassle) just one of 2 muppetts to ruin it.

And those 1 or 2 should be hung out to dry, they assaulted staff and police and were just general idiots. ruining it for everyone else

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭keen

As i said most are law abiding, it was designed for people to have a couple of beers before it was outlawed.

No doubt the night before the smoking ban many people sparked up in pubs just because they could, for the last time.

All I'm saying is i bet 99% were no hassel (likewise 99% of people who go out in towns and citys for a few beers are no hassle) just one of 2 muppetts to ruin it.

And those 1 or 2 should be hung out to dry, they assaulted staff and police and were just general idiots. ruining it for everyone else

Agreed, there's always a group of muppets that ruin it for the rest, if them 17 or so had of stayed at home there would be no negative headlines made and it would of been reported as a bit of fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭wicklaman83

And what about the thousands of people who actually wanted to use public transport to get home?

You want to party go to a club not a train! These people, mostly lazy students Im guessing, need to realise that they are not the centre of the universe and start showing some consideration for others. I guarantee there were a lot of people using the service that felt threatened and distressed by this action.

any reason why you would be guessing that these people were students.sure there would be no one else out there that would want to drink and cause trouble

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,098 ✭✭✭DenMan

Agreed. Students do get a bad name but it is not always them. Alcohol is readily available and people will drink all day, especially on match days and public holidays. Trust me I lived in Malta and they have a huge problem, start at 12-13 yrs old. I worked on television adverts over there trying to tell people to cut down. Very graphic ads they were. Small country, similar to Ireland. Then again Malta is only the size of Connaught roughly speaking.

Well to fair it wasn't students I was thinking about though some have the type of attitude I was talikg about. It those who just think that they can do what they want, regardlees of rules [that we all bend a tad] or common sense [which in my experience is not that common]

As I said I see it on a daily basis in my work people blowing over the legal limit then kicking off because they don't get their meds. Drinking outside a treatment centre at 10 am, and to be fair some clients are trying to turn their life around, they don't need to see this. You see in on public transport too, I'm immune to it at this stage too long in the game but you see people feeling intimidated walking by them and that is just not right. Everyone has the right to travel/walk/carry out their business without having to put up with that.

And to be fair I see you point mate, but idiots always turn up at stuff like this.

Advertisement