Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Jobs for j1

• 01-06-2008 12:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭

Hey,

Heading to Boston for the summer, only starting to look for a job now... Ive worked in bars, restaurants and a shop before, looking to get a tipping job probably.... Would i be better off as a server or a busser in a restaurant or a bartender? not really sure what the americans expect.

Thanks for any help!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,903 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Are you over 21? If not then nowhere will look at you. It's illegal to even handle alcohol over there if you're underage.

Can't say I came across many in the four months I was in Chicago. Most places don't seem to want to take the risk. Obviously there are a few who will but they are in the vast minority.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭M450

Hey Xavi6, where abouts did you live in Chicago? After weeks of no luck I finally got an apartment in Humboldt Park, but now I hear it's a bit of a dodgy area... think we'll have to keep looking.

I was hoping to work in a bar, I'm only 20 but still have over 2 years bar experience!! It really is ridiculous the whole 21 law...

Lived about 5 minutes walk from Wrigley Field. Best possible place to be honest as the nighlife after baseball games is quality. Pretty easy to get into the city and that from there as well.

21 is a bit poxy alright but nothin you can really do unless somewhere is prepared to hire you on the sly. Myself and my mates found it impossible to get.

Did you organise a place before you left? I'm heading off on the 22nd and just emailing loads of ads on craigslist...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Brods

I think the law says 18 in Massachusetts... hopefully anyway!! I heard you're allowed into pubs over 18 just won't get served.

Brods wrote: »
    I think the law says 18 in Massachusetts... hopefully anyway!! I heard you're allowed into pubs over 18 just won't get served.
    I've heard that a lot... sure if we get in then it'll be fine. People will be buying rounds so there's no need to approach the bar, as long as the place is busy enough...

M450 wrote: »
    Did you organise a place before you left? I'm heading off on the 22nd and just emailing loads of ads on craigslist...

I was lucky in that I was over there playing GAA so the club set us up with a house. Craigslist is probably the best place to be looking alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

I've heard that a lot... sure if we get in then it'll be fine. People will be buying rounds so there's no need to approach the bar, as long as the place is busy enough...

That won't work. That law is there for bars that have full restaurant licenses. You will not be allowed into a busy bar or nightclub if under 21. The bouncers are well wide to the 'get the over 21 year olds to buy the drinks in rounds' approach. I was a bouncer in the states before and we were told to access whether we thought someone under 21 but over 18 was liable to drink and to check up on them while on the premises. But if it was busy we were told that it's strictly over 21. It may vary state to state and some places may be more lax. It's luck really but not a lot of it is on your side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

im an hour outside boston at the moment packing parachutes for the summer but you probably dont want to do that :p

im sure you could serve food in restaurants even tho your not 21 and id imagine if you get the right restaurant your tips could be very good **** hours tho imo

• Advertisement

Xavi6 wrote: »
    I was lucky in that I was over there playing GAA so the club set us up with a house. Craigslist is probably the best place to be looking alright.
    Hurling or Football? I'm considering looking for a hurling club when I get there, I think there's about 4 in the city. I've heard of them setting you up with accomodation but they'd hardly sort out your mates aswel so that you're all living together, would they?

Hurling or Football? I'm considering looking for a hurling club when I get there, I think there's about 4 in the city. I've heard of them setting you up with accomodation but they'd hardly sort out your mates aswel so that you're all living together, would they?

I played football for a team called McBride's. There's about 6 or so football teams and a couple of hurling teams so you should get one no hassle when you get there. Can't remember the names off the top of my head though.

It's very unlikely that they'll out your mates up unless they have space. If you're only getting there on June 22nd then the training will have well started so they should have an idea of their numbers.

Here's the site for the ground where the games are played. It's pretty impressive -

http://www.chicagogaelicpark.org/

Advertisement