Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New L/Provisonal Drivers Rule/ Law

Options
  • 01-06-2008 1:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

I was told this new rule that provisonal licence holders have to be accompanied by an expereinced driver was coming in soon... When is it coming in? is it in today? what date exactly does anybody know?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭Nephew

It has actually been in place for years :D unless you're on your second provisional. I think the new rule changes are coming in on July 1st.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 conormob

I think this is a disaster for the country if the Government and the Gards enforce the laws we have now instead of making new ones we wouldnt be in this situation this law will also be a diadvantage as their plan is to take all provisional licence holders off the road how are people to get to work and college this has got to be stoped unemployment levels will increase also the R.S.A are a pack of idiots who get driven around everyplace Disaster:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Provisional drivers had plenty of time to get driving lessons and do a test,its nobodys fault but their own

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

conormob wrote: »
    I think this is a disaster for the country if the Government and the Gards enforce the laws we have now instead of making new ones we wouldnt be in this situation this law will also be a diadvantage as their plan is to take all provisional licence holders off the road how are people to get to work and college this has got to be stoped unemployment levels will increase also the R.S.A are a pack of idiots who get driven around everyplace Disaster:mad:

These new laws only affect people on second provisional’s meaning they have help a provisional licence for at least two years. So if driving was so important to them they really should have sat the test.

Also these new laws were released 8 months ago, meaning that everybody has been given eight months to get a full licence. Again if a licence was that important to people they have had time to get it sorted. Anybody complaining about needing a licence for work or whatever has no excuse any more. They have been given plenty of time to get it sorted.

The reason the laws weren’t enforced fully before for first provisional holders and such is because the wait time for tests was ridiculously long and if the gardai did charge them the prosecuted normally ended up arguing there way out of it in court. This will no longer be possible with test times being reduced dramatically.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

We have to draw a line in the sand sometime, people had plenty of notice to either get their test done or continue to chance their arm...

What would be a disaster now is another last minute climbdown on this issue.. We are the only European country where if you failyour test you can jump in your car and drive away :eek:.

People need to pass their test or put up with the consequences....

I'm hoping for a big push on this next week !!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

A disaster?? About time more like!.. a disaster is a 17 year old (or any age for that matter!) that has to do a simple theory test (including no lessons:eek:) and can go around and drive a lethal weapon without a clue in the world how to operate it.

About fugging time this was bought in.

X2 to all the above... you had the guts of 8 months to sort this out if you'd any interest in passing your test you'd have your licence now.

As for work & college , etc : Get the Bus / Train / Taxi / Lift / Cycle / Walk / Run / Jog / Rollerblade / Skateboard / Drive with a Fully Licenced Driver / Buy a Moped.

I can only hope the Guards DO enforce this strictly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

You had plenty of time to get your license, bout time its inforced imo

Get used to cycling i guess :)

This would make a good poll....
    "Do you agree with the new provisional lisence law enforcment"

I bet most folks are fed up with this crap going on and on...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

bbam wrote: »
    This would make a good poll....
    "Do you agree with the new provisional lisence law enforcment"

I bet most folks are fed up with this crap going on and on...

I bet most folks would prefer people actually passed a driving test or got the fuck off the road.

Let's have the poll!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

ninty9er wrote: »
    I bet most folks would prefer people actually passed a driving test or got the fuck off the road.
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 68,903 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Anyone I know who was capable of passing a test and got off their arse and applied for one has got it and passed since the new rules were brought in.

Those that have not are either not yet ready to pass the test or are just lazy. Simple as. The RSA is still offering a test before the end of the month to anyone that wants it.

ninty9er wrote: »

Let's have the poll!!!

To be honest the lisence/test issue is only part of the problem... We'll never solve the problems with fatal accidents on the roads if the laws are not enforced...

We've had a previous stand-down or "yellow streak" over this... It's time to see some action which might help...

Standing under a tree with a hand held gatso at 5pm in the evening at the edge of town isn't making a difference, thats a revenue generator... Lets see them tackle some of the more difficult to enforce laws that will hopefully make a difference...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Has anybody got a contact number where I can enquire about this "test before the end of the month"? I'm now waiting 2 months and still have no date. Also crossing fingers that its SGS this time. My last experience with the RSA (1st test), may result in one of their testers being ejected through the passenger door at 100kmph if I get them again. :D

Phone the number on the confirmation letter you got - 1890 40 60 40 should work also...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cashmni1

I agree, and we should not blame the Guards for the revenue collecting because they are doing what they are told. The Blame has to be laid at the door of the RSA, more importantly, Gay (nobber) Byrne. Somebody get him to quit please.....oh please?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

DarkJager wrote: »
    Has anybody got a contact number where I can enquire about this "test before the end of the month"? I'm now waiting 2 months and still have no date. Also crossing fingers that its SGS this time. My last experience with the RSA (1st test), may result in one of their testers being ejected through the passenger door at 100kmph if I get them again. :D
    Well if you wanna pass this time it'd be a good idea not to be doing 100kph!:rolleyes:

kmart6 wrote: »
    Well if you wanna pass this time it'd be a good idea not to be doing 100kph!:rolleyes:

Not being cocky about it, but I should pass this time as long as I don't get another tester who lives in his own fantasy world...

Not being cocky about it, but I should pass this time as long as I don't get another tester who lives in his own fantasy world...

Any chance you feel like detailing exactly what you failed on?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,687 ✭✭✭whippet

it's amazing the amount of people who only failed due to the incompetance of the examiner!

• Advertisement

kmart6 wrote: »

One of the test requirements for a Cat B licence is that your car *must* be capable of doing 100kmh! If you're on an N-road during the test at all, theres nothing wrong with doing that speed.

Any test centre near a dualler seems to be bringing people on to them, know people who've ended on the N4, N7 and N81, but all at 80kmh sections. Dunno where people could end up on a 100kmh section.

I'll happily summarise it and maybe you can all tell me where the problem lies. To start with, the grading sheet had no marks, except 1 Grade 3 fail which caused me not to pass the test. Now this grade 3 was suspiciously enough for "Observation" during the 3 point turn. This is exactly what happened:

I come to a cul de sac which has no houses and an 8ft brick wall cordoning it off from the next street. Tester asks me to perform a 3 point turn. I check all mirrors, check the back window, and complete the first part. Check the mirrors, check the back window and perform the reverse manuever. Check the mirrors, quick glance through back window and position the car in the final part of the turn. All ok, I'm asked to drive on.

When I get back to the test centre, I'm quite happy, mainly that I managed to do the reverse around the corner without any problems (it was one area I had difficulty getting right during the lessons). I then get told that I have failed the test due to an observation fault. I ask him where this fault occured, and he says the 3 point turn. His explanation is that during the final section of the turn, I did not look out the back window enough and there could have been kids or cars coming from behind me.

Now I've never heard about this amazing ability children and cars have gained, to appear or travel through an 8 foot brick wall into an empty cul de sac. Have you? Doesn't seem very fair to waste my 40 euros because of an out of touch with reality tester does it?

I'll happily summarise it and maybe you can all tell me where the problem lies. To start with, the grading sheet had no marks, except 1 Grade 3 fail which caused me not to pass the test. Now this grade 3 was suspiciously enough for "Observation" during the 3 point turn. This is exactly what happened:

I come to a cul de sac which has no houses and an 8ft brick wall cordoning it off from the next street. Tester asks me to perform a 3 point turn. I check all mirrors, check the back window, and complete the first part. Check the mirrors, check the back window and perform the reverse manuever. Check the mirrors, quick glance through back window and position the car in the final part of the turn. All ok, I'm asked to drive on.

When I get back to the test centre, I'm quite happy, mainly that I managed to do the reverse around the corner without any problems (it was one area I had difficulty getting right during the lessons). I then get told that I have failed the test due to an observation fault. I ask him where this fault occured, and he says the 3 point turn. His explanation is that during the final section of the turn, I did not look out the back window enough and there could have been kids or cars coming from behind me.

Now I've never heard about this amazing ability children and cars have gained, to appear or travel through an 8 foot brick wall into an empty cul de sac.

I'll try but I'm trying to visualise your manovure.

When you were reversing (2nd part) did you continually look out your back window? As I believe you are supposed to, or did you reverse while looking straight ahead or in your mirrors? You mention during the final section of your turn is where the fault occured for not looking out your back window enough but in the final part aren't you driving forwards.

Note: It doesn’t matter if an 8 foot brick wall was behind you the same procedure should be followed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Climate Expert

I sympathise with you.

If you do a maths exam and are in line for 95% you don't instantly fail the exam because of one question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

I sympathise with you.

If you do a maths exam and are in line for 95% you don't instantly fail the exam because of one question.

It's not a question, it's an ability or attitude. If you understand maths and remember all formula's but can't add, then there's a fundamental flaw in your maths abilities.
    Similarly, if you're driving and aren't observant enough then there's a fundamental flaw in your driving.

I sympathise with you.

You would if the wrong answer could kill someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

The two do not compare in any way. The driving test is there to see if you are safe and competent behind the wheel. That 5% is all it takes for you to seriously injure or kill someone. This is why the marks against you are graded in severity, grade 1 being a minor fault and will not affect your result. A grade 2 being more serious and 9 or more of which will result in a fail. And grade 3 being the most serious and one of which will result in a fail.

DarkJager - Without meaning to be an arse about it, i'd be a lot more worried about the fact that you still think it's OK to reverse without looking where you're going than about your having done it in the test. We all make mistakes, but we only improve when we see our mistakes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Climate Expert

The two do not compare in any way. The driving test is there to see if you are safe and competent behind the wheel. That 5% is all it takes for you to seriously injure or kill someone. This is why the marks against you are graded in severity, grade 1 being a minor fault and will not affect your result. A grade 2 being more serious and 9 or more of which will result in a fail. And grade 3 being the most serious and one of which will result in a fail.
    Thats the excuse they would use for what is a bull**** test. Statistically full licenced drivers are more likely to be involved in an accident in Ireland. That was reported about a year or two ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

On top of all the time people have had to pass their tests, we have had CRAP testers

3 of my friends passed their test after hitting the Curb hard while doing the turnabout

another went up on the curb while reversing around a corner

all 4 passed

UNBELIEVABLE!

Advertisement