Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New L/Provisonal Drivers Rule/ Law

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

craichoe wrote: »
    How do you know ? You failed on observation ..

Lets put it this way: If you are driving and come to a set of traffic lights, would you start staring out your back window when the lights go green and you start moving again? If you don't, then please explain how a person can be failed for exactly that...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

DarkJager wrote: »
    Lets put it this way: If you are driving and come to a set of traffic lights, would you start staring out your back window when the lights go green and you start moving again? If you don't, then please explain how a person can be failed for exactly that...

All round observation is part of driving so yes, I check rear view and mirrors before pulling off at traffic lights. The fact a wall was behind you is irrelevant - the test is about showing the correct "form" of driving, including all round observation during a manouver.

Your tester - who conducts several tests a day 5 days a week - decided that (in his professional opnion) you were not safe. Accept that and move on.

And there are lots of people bandying about claims that provisional drivers are involved in fewer accidents. I'd be interested in seeing links as the last data I saw said exactly the opposite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

DarkJager wrote: »

I live in Holland, at lights i check ahead, the left / right and rear view before moving off, cyclists/mopeds have a habit of cutting in front of you. It's just normal practise.

If i just took off theres a chance i could cream a cyclist on the bonnet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

The funny thing is I DID briefly check the back window, and then all mirrors before taking off. The tester advised that my glance out the back window "was not long enough"???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

Well there's your answer.

The one thing I had drilled into me when I was learning to drive (in London) was that you had to actually LOOK in the mirror, not just glance at it. The examiner obviously felt that you just moved your head to make it look like you'd looked rather than actually taking the time to look properly and satisy yourself that it was safe to move.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Well then you know exactly what went wrong and you'll defo pass next time. No point in getting wound up about it. You'll get it no bother.

Edit: Jesus, everyone's beating me to whatever I'm trying to say today!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 conormob

A disaster?? About time more like!.. a disaster is a 17 year old (or any age for that matter!) that has to do a simple theory test (including no lessons:eek:) and can go around and drive a lethal weapon without a clue in the world how to operate it.

About fugging time this was bought in.

X2 to all the above... you had the guts of 8 months to sort this out if you'd any interest in passing your test you'd have your licence now.

As for work & college , etc : Get the Bus / Train / Taxi / Lift / Cycle / Walk / Run / Jog / Rollerblade / Skateboard / Drive with a Fully Licenced Driver / Buy a Moped.

I can only hope the Guards DO enforce this strictly.

Listen im just sayin dont tar evryone with the one brush people have to live.I totally agree that its our fault cos most of us cant drive (boy racers for a start). But as for letting 17 year old get a licence just after a theory test is nothing, i know a taxi driver who got their full licence over the counter in a post office (no test).

By the way explain this how does this affect 1st time holders of provisional licence.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭klaus23

When it comes to driving, men believe that they are better drivers than anyone else on the road. The same applies to ability in bed, trivia knowledge, penis length and capacity for drink.

Take the test again, pass next time. Discussing it on t'interweb will only annoy you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 conormob

kbannon wrote: »
    :rolleyes:
    The Government and RSA try and enforce basic standards and you feel upset over it? Why? Do you really believe that allowing untrained drivers out alone is a good idea?

If a fully qualified driver is in the car with you how will that make the roads safer.What difference:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

conormob wrote: »
    If a fully qualified driver is in the car with you how will that make the roads safer.What difference:confused:

its a SIMPLE test. just pass the damn thing , if you can't manage that well i guess the bus will have to do.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭Teacherman

Look up RSA on internet. I tried calling them once and could not get through! However I was successful in e mailing them-e mail details are on web site. However now that I think of it if you ring number on your letter-the one you got confirming your application then I think they should help you.

Just on the test. Its not easy to get-why is the failure rate so high and why is there so much variance-10% plus in pass rates nationwide? I did the test twice. Each time I was marked for different things despite my driving not being that different. However there has been plenty of notice and its my own fault I dont have test yet. However those on this site with test-dont be smug. Be encouraging.Just because you got it does not mean you are a better driver than those who didnt. Instructors will tell you it has a lot to do with nerves and luck. Look at the amount of terrible driving on roads by non L plates.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

Teacherman wrote: »
    Look up RSA on internet. I tried calling them once and could not get through! However I was successful in e mailing them-e mail details are on web site. However now that I think of it if you ring number on your letter-the one you got confirming your application then I think they should help you.

Just on the test. Its not easy to get-why is the failure rate so high and why is there so much variance-10% plus in pass rates nationwide? I did the test twice. Each time I was marked for different things despite my driving not being that different. However there has been plenty of notice and its my own fault I dont have test yet. However those on this site with test-dont be smug. Be encouraging.Just because you got it does not mean you are a better driver than those who didnt. Instructors will tell you it has a lot to do with nerves and luck. Look at the amount of terrible driving on roads by non L plates.

Well said ..Most sensible post to date in this thread ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

conormob wrote: »
    Please tell me you're not serious?

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭knuth

grahambo wrote: »
    On top of all the time people have had to pass their tests, we have had CRAP testers

3 of my friends passed their test after hitting the Curb hard while doing the turnabout

another went up on the curb while reversing around a corner

all 4 passed

UNBELIEVABLE!

This is true. It happened to myself when I done the test last year. I kept being told about "coasting" the clutch, it was ****ing my head up. I went into a private estate to reverse around a corner. This is the best part..

As I was reversing around the corner, I suddenly got real paranoid about the "coasting" that everyone had mentioned so I took my foot RIGHT OFF THE CLUTCH going around the corner.

Yes, the car bunny hopped and shot around the corner hitting the kerb. Don't know how I didn't fail on that :)

Advertisement