Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Fiesta Exhaust

Options
  • 01-06-2008 2:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭

The gf's Fiesta has broken at the point there the exhaust pipe enters the big barrel thing at the end (see 3 and 4 of the pic below). It looks like its just snapped off at the connection. Any idea how much to fix with a weld or if it would need to be replaced?

Also any garage recommendations for a quick fix?

It's a 2000 model, 1.25.
    Thanks.

253800di5.png

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

That's where they usually break, generally due to corrosion and metal fatigue. It is possible to weld them in some cases and I have done on occasions, but often you find that the casing of the "barrel thing" (the silencer) is so thinned that it's impossible, and even if it appears succesful it will probably simply break again ouside the weld area. In any case, by the time it has broken it's likely that the silencer itself is on it's last legs. A trip to the nearest quit fit centre is the best advice. I couldn't suggest a price, but for Fiestas it's not that expensive -- you only need the back end replaced.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭gibbon75

I would just replace it.There's a good chance it will just brake again.
    Last week we have ordered a centre box+back box for a Fiesta in our workshop.Can't recall the price but it was very cheap,and it was a genuine Ford item.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

Thanks, I'm taking it for a quotation tomorrow. It does look a bit like it was already welded so think it'll have to be replaced alright.

Sounds a bit boy-racery now :(

Cionád wrote: »
    Thanks, I'm taking it for a quotation tomorrow. It does look a bit like it was already welded so think it'll have to be replaced alright.

Sounds a bit boy-racery now :(

I wouldn't accuse you of that. I've welded the things up a few times when I was strapped for cash or needed to keep the car going until I could get to an exhaust centre, and I don't consider myself to be a boy racer. Don't give yourself a hard time.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,360 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

ART6 wrote: »
    I wouldn't accuse you of that. I've welded the things up a few times when I was strapped for cash or needed to keep the car going until I could get to an exhaust centre, and I don't consider myself to be a boy racer. Don't give yourself a hard time.

He meant the car being so noisy sounds like a boy racer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Heh. I had an '00 Fiesta 1.25 with an exhaust that broke in exactly the same spot. Dunno what it cost to replace though as the work was done under dealer warranty. It sounded ridiculous for a day or so until the new exhaust got installed.

mickdw wrote: »
    He meant the car being so noisy sounds like a boy racer.

OK. Misunder stood. Apologies.:o

Advertisement