Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where do i stand with work

Options
  • 01-06-2008 3:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

Hope some of ye can advise me on s few issues that have came up at work recently. Im not going to name any names of type of work that the company does.

Im currently on a 2 year contract, last year when i was in my first year of the job i applied for an internal job and was offered an interview. The day of the interview i waited to be called in only to be told "that because i was on a 2 year contract, i could nt go for the job", Fair enough i said, rules are rules etc.

Since then another person on the same contract has actually got a full time job within the company, not in the same section but thats not the point.

How come he got a full time job and obviously had an interview when i wasnt even allowed to sit the interview.

Where do i stand, what can i do

Thanks for reading and i hope you can help, because since i found out about this i am fairly annoyed as you can imagion.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Work Issues forum

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭dazberry

work_issue wrote: »
    The day of the interview i waited to be called in only to be told "that because i was on a 2 year contract, i could nt go for the job", Fair enough i said, rules are rules etc.

I would contact NERA and see what they have to say.

Having worked for 4 years as a fixed term employee - a lot of companies are ignorant of the fixed term employment legislation. My non-expert opinion is that that was not a valid reason to turn you down for interview - but that was likely the excuse - not the reason. Internal positions often involve a lot of politics behind the scenes, be it a favourate already having been selected or your boss not wanting to lose you etc.

D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

work_issue wrote: »
    Since then another person on the same contract has actually got a full time job within the company, not in the same section but thats not the point.

Was their position made permanent, or did they apply for an internal position in a different department?

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

they applied for a permanent position within there department.

Myself and the person who got the other job would be on the same contract / pay/ grade

Also may i add his collegue also on a 2year contract was accepted for an interview but didnt get the job.

The real annoying thing is i didnt even get an interview and because i didnt get it has slowed my career down. Which i just think is very unfair to me, as i didnt receive a fair chance to progress

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,315 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Speaking in general they don't have to offer you an interview for the position and that is perfectly legal outside the usual once (sex, religion etc.).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Big_Mac

Interesting

If the position was advertised to all internal staff, the only reason that I can think of for them refusing you an interview (Legally at any rate) is for the following:

Your current position is performance based and the new position has minimum requirements for KPI achievements or performance and you are not achieving them

Your current position as it is a fixed term contract requires you to complete the minimum fixed term set out therin (2 years) thereby preventing you from transferring to another position before this term had been completed.

It's in your contract that you are not elligible for any other position

You are on some form of disciplinary proceedings that would prevent you from doing this.

The new positon should have no relevance as it would be its own contract for employment which you would be entering into of your own volition should you have accepted it

Best of luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

What realistically can you do about this situation?

Take them to court? Leave your job?

I think you're just going to have to accept things. You're not going to be able to force them to give you the job.

I know this is annoying, but I can't see any other outcome.

Big_Mac wrote: »
    Interesting

If the position was advertised to all internal staff, the only reason that I can think of for them refusing you an interview (Legally at any rate) is for the following:

Your current position is performance based and the new position has minimum requirements for KPI achievements or performance and you are not achieving them

Not an issue in this instance
    Your current position as it is a fixed term contract requires you to complete the minimum fixed term set out therin (2 years) thereby preventing you from transferring to another position before this term had been completed.
    If this is the case how come, 2 others now have got permanent jobs there
    It's in your contract that you are not elligible for any other position
    No word of this in my contract
    You are on some form of disciplinary proceedings that would prevent you from doing this.
    No issue either
    The new positon should have no relevance as it would be its own contract for employment which you would be entering into of your own volition should you have accepted it

Best of luck

Thanks for your advise

dublindude wrote: »
    What realistically can you do about this situation?

Take them to court? Leave your job?

I think you're just going to have to accept things. You're not going to be able to force them to give you the job.

I know this is annoying, but I can't see any other outcome.

Im sure at this moment in time, i have a case for unfair treatment

Most companies try to solve issues internally not via the courts (i dont want this either)

Advertisement