Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

no NCT

Options
  • 01-06-2008 3:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

What do the Gardai do if they catch you without an NCT

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

You dont really know, you could get some Garda not in the mood, just give you a warning, however you could come across some jobsworth garda that slap you with 4 penalty points and a fine, and take your car apart piece by piece.
    And fine faults with the car and give you aditional points.

Why do you ask?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

Going by earlier posts on this subject it seems as if a lot depends on how out of date your NCT is. If you have never had one or if yours is out of date by months or years, it looks as if you are more likely to be in big trouble than if it is out of date by a few weeks or so. Indeed, why do you ask or can we guess?;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

Volvoboy wrote: »
    You dont really know, you could get some Garda not in the mood, just give you a warning, however you could come across some jobsworth garda that slap you with 4 penalty points and a fine, and take your car apart piece by piece.

Why do you ask?

^ Absolute Rubbish..Currently there are no points for no / failure to display NCT.

Source: http://www.penaltypoints.ie/the_full_list_of_offences.php

I stand corrected.

I was always under the impression that there was points for it.

Anyway, so why do you want to drive a car with no NCT OP?

I stand corrected.

I was always under the impression that there was points for it.

Anyway, so why do you want to drive a car with no NCT OP?

;)

If the cars mechanically sound should it matter. I drove my last car without one for 6 months .Why? because it failed on emmissions and was too much to put right. Hardly a death trap!! Well maybe for the trees!!!:p

But there are some heaps on the road without NCTs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,317 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Court appearance and fine up to €1250 afair.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭FGR

esel wrote: »

Correct. This is not a Ticket-worthy offence and is a straight summons.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

...and/or the said veh-i-cal being impounded on the spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

Court appearance job.

A district court justice was recently convicted for failing to have a current NCT certificate. If it can happen to a DJ it can happen to the rest of us.......... No previous convictions, he got a €250 fine.

Falure to have a current NCT might be a problem of the type expressed by eringobragh in one sense. If one document is not in order, especially for a young driver, they might then fit neatly in to a profile of the type who has a few other irregularities to be detected and for that reason other things sometimes tend to start to get checked out.

Cure ? Make sure that all your documents are in order in the first place. Answers like "I think so" don't cut it at a checkpoint.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

Got busted in the bus lane a while back and she kicked up a fuss about me having no NCT and being a year past due. Said I'd have to produce one within ten days or else. Produced my docs at the station but I don't think she even checked. Never got a fine for the bus lane. I had just gotten done in the bus lane five days before hand too, that fine came through. €60 "congestion charge" for five years bus lane usage. Well worth it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭tdc

WTF??? All of this is completely untrue. Nice one volvoboy.

Court summons, maybe a fine. if you get the NCT for the court date you'll be grand. No points.

tdc wrote: »
    WTF??? All of this is completely untrue. Nice one volvoboy.
    Read the thread before posting. :p

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭tdc

Read the thread before posting. :p

Yeah but still why post something like that? The OP asked a simple question and then Volvoboy just gave a totally inaccurate/ridiculous answer. Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭zzzzzzzz

My NCT has been out since 08/06...

Been through a good few checkpoints since then - they never batted an eyelid until getting stopped in early may. Just asked what the story was with the NCT - i just said I never got around to it and I was getting rid of the car in the next 2 weeks. He didn't seem to care too much, I think he was trying to strike up a conversation to decide whether or not to use the breathaliser he had in his hand though.

My initial idea was to let it run out for 2 years (because if i let it go for a year and a half the NCT will only last 6 months AFAIK) but now I'm getting rid of the car I'm not bothered at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭pred racer

I have had had no nct on my car for the last 2 years (never bothered getting it done when I brought it in from NI) was never even questioned about it at any checkpoints in that time.

^ I know a guy who smoked all his life and was killed aged 92 by a bus while crossing the road.

Not your ornery onager

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

pred racer wrote: »
    I have had had no nct on my car for the last 2 years (never bothered getting it done when I brought it in from NI) was never even questioned about it at any checkpoints in that time.

Your point being?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

Don't worry, as soon as SGS (NCTS owners) realise they're missing out on NCT testing fees, they'll get their FF buddies to get Traffic Corps on their asses.

Not to mention the SIMI crowd will want the NCT enforced so they can rip off as many as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Frank the Manc

mine was out by 4 years adnd never had a bit of bother goin through checkpoints until i got pulled one day by <SNIP> ban-guard ho went to ton on me as i wouldnt admit to not having my seat belt on.
    got it sorted before court and just got a €250 fine.
    once your insurance, tax and attitude are all in order tey dont really give a <SNIP>

tdc wrote: »
    Yeah but still why post something like that? The OP asked a simple question and then Volvoboy just gave a totally inaccurate/ridiculous answer. Why?

I posted a reply to the best of my knowledge, i've since been corrected on the matter and fully except it.

I thought somewhere in the penalty points there would be a ''Driving an unroadworthy vehicle'' part that would entail a vaild NCT certificate.

I've since been corrected.

;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭GTC

I'd seize a car if the NCT is out by more than 6 months or so. No problem, car is unroadworthy, you cannot prove otherwise, bye bye and a summons.

One day these fellas will meet a Garda with some spare time and they'll cry all the way home. No excuse for an NCT out that long. Some judges will give you a paltry fine, some will fine you the legislative maximum, I would always recommend the latter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

I think its just that a lot of garda forget about it half the time.

A lot of cars on the road would be less than four years old so they might just forget to check for an NCT on every car, just tax and insurance. Maybe if your car was a heap they might spot it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

Some insurance companies will not insure a car without a current valid NCT cert.
    Potentially you insurance could be null and void which could lead to driving without insurance. Read your small print first.

When the rule that you need an NCT cert to tax a car is brought back, there will be a lot less cars without an NCT. The rule was dropped when the test centres were on strike a few years ago, as nobody could tax a car. It should have been brought back when the strike ended.

Not your ornery onager

When the rule that you need an NCT cert to tax a car is brought back, there will be a lot less cars without an NCT. The rule was dropped when the test centres were on strike a few years ago, as nobody could tax a car. It should have been brought back when the strike ended.

Or the opposite people driving without NCT & Tax!! ONly way to solve it is make it a penalty point offence. end of.

Advertisement