Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

WWE Vintage collection.

• 01-06-2008 3:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,602 ✭✭✭✭

For those of you who like your WWE, old school, i see Sky Sports 3 are showing WWE Vintage collection. It's gonna be hosted by Okerlund on Sundays at 10am, starting from next Sunday.

Set your DVR's folks :)
    VR!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

No more Heat? OMG how can I go on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,602 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

rovert wrote: »
    No more Heat? OMG how can I go on?

Spot the Charlie Haas and Val Venis fan ;)
    VR!

I hope they do a special on how great the Ministry was. ha ha

I hope they do a special on how great the Ministry was. ha ha

I'm sure they will :)
    VR!

I'm sure they will :)
    VR!

Or the many VARIED feuds of the Undertaker.

• Advertisement

Or the many VARIED feuds of the Undertaker.

SD already did that this weekend.
    VR!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

anyone know what years it covers? looking at the ads I have a feeling that it will come up to just before the years i really would like to rewatch but still show some classic material from my own viewing life i.e Bret Hart, Early Taker, Shaun Micheals etc

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

I got the impression that this would feature matches from the eighties and early nineties.

I got the impression that this would feature matches from the eighties and early nineties.

Yeah it is, dont expect any Attitude era stuff due all the blurring that is involved.

Yeah it is, dont expect any Attitude era stuff due all the blurring that is involved.

What he said, it'll be all 80s stuff from MSG, Boston Garden and Philadelphia house shows.

That said, a lot of those matches were better than most of the stuff during attitude era or mid 90s. If you haven't checked em out before, it's well worth it. :)

VR!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Is this going to be like Classics from a few years back? If so I think I will give this a look. That was great TV.

Is this going to be like Classics from a few years back? If so I think I will give this a look. That was great TV.

It's not gonna be like WWE classics, That was the first half of 1988 Wrestling Challenge. It's gonna be like confidential except with matches instead of documentaries. Okerlund hosting it as usual.

VR!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

It was. For a while there, they were showing really old WWWF stuff from early 80's late 70's. That was hard to sit through. I did enjoy Pat Pattersons unique commentary though!

For those who didn't catch this today, it wasn't half bad.

Okerlund basically said it would cover the 80s, the attitude era and DX etc.

Matches were all house show matches, no SNME or PPV. Line up was:
    Rockers vs Demolition from 88
    Undertaker vs Snuka from 91
    Savage vs Andre The Giant from 88 and
    Hogan vs Orndorff from 84.

Worth checking out, it'll be most likely repeated a few times.
    VR!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

I know they won't show it, but I would love to see some WCW stuff from circa 95. Never had channel 5 in my area so I missed out on the whole nWo stuff and one side of the Monday Night Wars.

I know they won't show it, but I would love to see some WCW stuff from circa 95. Never had channel 5 in my area so I missed out on the whole nWo stuff and one side of the Monday Night Wars.

Obviously as the nWo started in 1996. ;)

Anyway you didnt miss much pre NWO except for cartoon monsters fighting Hogan and every main eventer playing the same role Jericho is playing currently.

WCW in 1995 was bloody horrible from what i remember. And here's many of the reasons why.

- Ed Leslie as "The Booty Man"
    - DDP in horrible storylines, like the above stealing his missus.
    - Kevin Sullivan, and anything he was involved in that year
    - Hogan vs Giant in the meeting of the monster trucks
    - Hogan pushing Giant off the roof
    - Giant miraculously surviving!
    - Ric Flair vs Arn Anderson which could have been done sooo much better.
    - Brian Pillman returning far too early
    - Sabu's short lived WCW career
    - John Tenta as Avalanche/Shark (see Kevin Sullivan)

As far as i remember they all happened in 1995, but i'm sure rovert will point out any flaws there.
    I could go on!
    VR!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

Saw most of the first show. It was good but I think it's more weekday viewing for me because with all the sport that was today, I didn't really appreciate it.

Saw most of the first show. It was good but I think it's more weekday viewing for me because with all the sport that was today, I didn't really appreciate it.

Yeah a sunday slot isn't great unless you're a diehard, hence why i said in the original post set your DVR's :)

I personally loved it, you got PPV quality matches on House shows back then, Rockers vs Demolition was joined in progress, but the rest were from start to finish save for ad breaks, but to their credit, they were carefully planned as you missed out on restholds during the ad breaks. :)

VR!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

Hogan winning with a backdrop to the outside :D

• Advertisement

DRakE wrote: »
    Hogan winning with a backdrop to the outside :D

Give me that over a Fisher Price Hammer.

Living proof that he had more moves other than the big boot and the legdrop! :)
    VR!

All 3 matches this week from MSG - April 25th 1988.

Bret Hart vs Bad News Brown
    Randy Savage vs Ted DiBiase
    Demolition vs Strike Force

If you missed this, it's repeated again at 3pm on SS3.
    VR!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

came in from the pub last night and it was on. just caught demolition vs strike force. what a match. better than anything they put on today.

Try and catch another repeat man, the Savage v DiBiase match on it is awesome. They never failed to impress for the entire program they had on PPV, SNME or House shows.

VR!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭mehfesto2

All 3 matches this week from MSG - April 25th 1988.

Demolition vs Strike Force

VR!

What a match. Jesus the hits were rock solid there. One of the Strike force lads nearly beheaded one of the Demolition guys. Great, great match. Look forward to seeing more of this.

Great seeing Randy Savage again. Loved him.

mehfesto2 wrote: »
    What a match. Jesus the hits were rock solid there. One of the Strike force lads nearly beheaded one of the Demolition guys. Great, great match. Look forward to seeing more of this.

Great seeing Randy Savage again. Loved him.

That Strike Force match was nothing compared to the Superstars taping they had later that week. The match never made it on the Superstars episode because Darsow botched the chairshot and clobbered Martel full force in the back, injuring him for the guts of a year. Before the botch, it was an awesome match.

The match can be found on one of the Coliseum Best of compilations from around 88-89.

VR!

Vintage Collection time again folks. this time from MSG October 28, 1991

Ric Flair vs Roddy Piper (a big deal at the time as Flair was in WWE wearing the WCW belt. They'd spend about three months opening in dark matches and house shows, in fact they were the opening act for Tuesday In Texas PPV in 1991 before the PPV aired on TV.

Bret Hart vs Berzerker
    Legion Of Doom vs Natural Disasters.

First match is worth checking out, take a pass on the other two.
    VR!

Vintage Collection time again folks. this time from MSG October 28, 1991

Ric Flair vs Roddy Piper (a big deal at the time as Flair was in WWE wearing the WCW belt. They'd spend about three months opening in dark matches and house shows, in fact they were the opening act for Tuesday In Texas PPV in 1991 before the PPV aired on TV.

First match is worth checking out, take a pass on the other two.
    VR!

AGREED but dont forget Flairs promo too.

• Advertisement

AGREED but dont forget Flairs promo too.

There weren't many promos cut at MSG house shows dude. ;)
    But the one he cut on Hogan on Challenge in 1991 was awesome, "While you were out making movies, Thunderlips... I was out winning world titles!"

Truly classic stuff. :)
    VR!

Edit - Well f*ck me pink, how i fast forwarded through that promo and missed it, i don't know. I really don't know why they pitched Heenan with Flair, Flair really didn't need him!

There weren't many promos cut at MSG house shows dude. ;)
    But the one he cut on Hogan on Challenge in 1991 was awesome, "While you were out making movies, Thunderlips... I was out winning world titles!"

Truly classic stuff. :)
    VR!

Edit - Well f*ck me pink, how i fast forwarded through that promo and missed it, i don't know. I really don't know why they pitched Heenan with Flair, Flair really didn't need him!

Heenan talked Flair up before Flair could come in contractually:
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=RtLuNhZntcM

Believe it or not a lot WWF fans did know Flair, so WWF needed Heenan to position Flair

Yeah i remember that, god, Neidhart couldn't commentate to save his life either!
    Heenan spent most of August and September hyping Flair.

He tried doing the same with Luger twice afterwards, once in 1992 and again in 1993. Sadly he didn't have the same success, but you can't make chicken salad out of chicken ****.

VR!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭HBK

Yeah i remember that, god, Neidhart couldn't commentate to save his life either!
    Heenan spent most of August and September hyping Flair.

He tried doing the same with Luger twice afterwards, once in 1992 and again in 1993. Sadly he didn't have the same success, but you can't make chicken salad out of chicken ****.

VR!
    Thats a bit harsh,and the poor guy in a wheelchair now!

HBK wrote: »
    Thats a bit harsh,and the poor guy in a wheelchair now!

And here we go again... :rolleyes:
    Here's the thing about Luger, from about 87-91, he had a lot of potential. He learned a lot and he learned it fast and was able to have pretty decent matches. Then he had the accident, and he was never the same since.

From 93-2001 his matches were bloody terrible, and there's no denying it, that's not harsh, that's just how it is. And all this was before he was wheelchair confined.

As i said, you can't make chicken salad out of chicken sh*t. :)
    VR!

Advertisement