Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breaking a lease before it has even begun

Options
  • 01-06-2008 3:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭

Moving to a new apartment next week.
    Viewed the place with a letting agent and signed a 1 year lease and paid a one months deposit.
    During this week, I have to pay one months rent in advance and collect the keys. All good so far.

The agent is only the letting agent. Once I get the keys I'll get contact details of the landlord and deal with her for everything. But I've never spoken to her yet.

When I viewed the place the post box is a box by the door that is lockable. But it was broken open. When I signed the lease I got the agent to write "subject to post box being repaired" on the lease.
    I've spun out there earlier today and it's still bust. With the bank holiday tomorrow it definitly won't be repaired before my start date.

I'm of the opinion that while I owe them money it'll be easier to get this fixed. Once I pay the money due I might get fobbed off and they will be in no rush to fix it.

My lease starts on June 3rd. If this post box is still broken can it be suspended or even cancelled and my deposit returned? It's unacceptable to me to pay rent on an apartment with a broken post box.

Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,651 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

micmclo wrote: »
    My lease starts on June 3rd. If this post box is still broken can it be suspended or even cancelled and my deposit returned? It's unacceptable to me to pay rent on an apartment with a broken post box.

Does not take long to fix something like this, maybe they already planned to do this first thing tuesday morning.

A polite reminder before paying the rest of the money might get it sorted.

With respect to cancelling and reclaiming a deposit, make sure you have a picture and withness of it still broken before you start down this avenue.

Advertisement