Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Issue with car dealer after trade in

Options
  • 01-06-2008 3:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭

Hello all,

I'm after some advice as regards my consumer rights after trading in my car with a small car dealership.

I traded in my old car which was an immaculate example BMW for a diesel Passat on the 15th of this month. After only 2 hours of taking the car away the wheel bearings failed in one of the wheels while I was driving on the motorway. The cause was the sales guy had put the wheel back on the car himself after they were investigating a slow punture and he did not fit the wheel correctly. Needless to say I was very irate. The wheel bearings were replaced but since then I have had several more problems with the car all of which I am being told will be rectified. Only some have.

In the last day or so the car has now bgean to leak coolant and I have told the garage I no longer want the car I bought and that I wanted my old car back as well as the €2500 I paid extra. I have no confidence whatsoever in the car or the mechanics the garage have employed to perform the repairs. Where do I stand on this matter legally? I have no intentions of keeping the Passat as I do not feel safe driving it in case something else should fail or the imcompetent mechanics do not do their jobs correctly. Any help/advice is much appreciated.

K

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

1. Name and shame
    2. Walk into the dealership and talk to managment
    3. If above fails, solicitor's letter asap

Oh and write a log with all dates and incidents. Make sure you write everything down as you need a record

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭alexmcred

Was the passat second hand or new? If it was second hand and the Dealer is a member of SIMI i would be straight onto them. If the car was new Then it is under manufacturers warranty and SIMI won't deal with it. To hand back a new car is a pain in the rear and you'll have to get solicitors involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭kkelly77

alexmcred wrote: »
    Was the passat second hand or new? If it was second hand and the Dealer is a member of SIMI i would be straight onto them. If the car was new Then it is under manufacturers warranty and SIMI won't deal with it. To hand back a new car is a pain in the rear and you'll have to get solicitors involved.

Apologies, the garage in question is not a specific manufacturer dealership, just a small garage showroom. Car is second hand. It was imported from the UK, as is most of their cars they deal with. If they are a member of SIMI will that have a significant affect on the situation?

K

Yeah they can mediate on your behalf. Even if they arenot a member it may be worth sending in a complaint to them. Have you spoken to the garage about handing back the car what have they said? Also a word of warning the longer you hold onto the car the weaker your case becomes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭kkelly77

alexmcred wrote: »
    Yeah they can mediate on your behalf. Even if they arenot a member it may be worth sending in a complaint to them. Have you spoken to the garage about handing back the car what have they said? Also a word of warning the longer you hold onto the car the weaker your case becomes.

I contacted them yesterday immediately after I discovered the car was leaking coolant and told them I wanted my old car returned along with a refund. I was told I wouldn't be getting my car back and was also lied to by the garage as they told me the car was already sold. It is however, up for sale on carzone now.

I will be putting together a document with the chronolgy of events that took place since purchasing the car and the fact I want the car and money given back. I will then send this to the garage in question, SIMI, the Direct of Consimer Affairs and a solicitor.

K

• Advertisement

Make sure that you sent the letter to the garage by registered post. I would also ring your solicitor and see what they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

micmclo wrote: »
    1. Name and shame
    2. Walk into the dealership and talk to managment
    3. If above fails, solicitor's letter asap

Oh and write a log with all dates and incidents. Make sure you write everything down as you need a record

Naming and shaming ...not a good idea when the case has only just started.

agree with the rest though

maybe this would be better off in consumer affairs ?

Advertisement