Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cao choices

Options
  • 01-06-2008 3:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 32

i stilll haven't decided what i want to do next year in college! i've filled out the cao but only to have it done...i need help...hopefully i'll get in the 500s but i can't pickk anything...please help!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Let me get this straight:
    You're asking complete strangers on an internet forum what you should do in college, without giving any indication as to what subjects you like/dislike?
    Riiiight......

What subjects do like? Are you a mathsy/sciencey person? Do you like languages? Do you prefer business subjects? Are you good at practical subjects? Your favourite subjects are usually a pretty good indication of what you're suited for.

Whatever course you pick doesn't have to dictate what you do with your life. Plenty of people go to college for 3 or 4 years, get a degree and then do something completely different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 MnMs

this is the problem i'm a mathsy/science person whos also good at languages!! i love chemistry but i don't want to end up working in a lab...like maths but don't want a desk job

i do bio, chem and home ec as my subjects btw

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

well maths and likes languages

maybe business with a language course

e.g commerce with german in ucc (or french,chinese,spanish, italien etc)

i don't like business, plus i don't do any business subjects...i like french though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭salman85

mechanical engineering? u dont really work in a lab and its not really a desk job but its for sciencey ppl

civil engineering?

or chemical eng? yeah its in the lab but graduates are the HIGHEST payed, yes more than medicine and law (like right off the bat 60k $ in USA first year of the job with just the BEng degree), goes up to 100k in first 3 years. with masters you are looking at in excess of 150k in couple of years of exp

i cant do it cuz i dont do higherlvl math :(

• Advertisement

salman85 wrote: »
    mechanical engineering? u dont really work in a lab and its not really a desk job but its for sciencey ppl

civil engineering?

or chemical eng? yeah its in the lab but graduates are the HIGHEST payed, yes more than medicine and law (like right off the bat 60k $ in USA first year of the job with just the BEng degree), goes up to 100k in first 3 years. with masters you are looking at in excess of 150k in couple of years of exp

i cant do it cuz i dont do higherlvl math :(

engineering? maybe...cept i have no clue whats involved in it!!! ya money is great but i don't want to be doing something i don't want to...if ya get what i mean

theres alot of maths involved and then physics/chem/biology you learn bit of everything

hopefully i'll get into biochem UCC more or less the same thing

theres alot of maths involved and then physics/chem/biology you learn bit of everything

hopefully i'll get into biochem UCC more or less the same thing

cool...ya i really wanna go to ucc...love the campus...i was thinking about doing genetics...u have any idea whats involved?:D

i think 1st year is the same if u do biochem /chemical science/ genetics and some other sciences

so

maths 10cred biology 20cred, physics and chem for 15 thats for biochem i think

its on the website any way dont be lazy :P

and if ur into maths theres probably an engineering degree which would be better than the science degree i'd say but its not in UCC i think, or try biomedical engg its bieng introduced in CIT

but i would recommend chemical engineering STRONGLY the money is just insane

and varied jobs in petrochemical side and pharmacy, may be you would like to do graduate medicine? you could also get alot of management jobs too

i think 1st year is the same if u do biochem /chemical science/ genetics and some other sciences

so

maths 10cred biology 20cred, physics and chem for 15 thats for biochem i think

its on the website any way dont be lazy :P

website smwebsite...easier to ask someone...plus some people have insider info ya know!

• Advertisement

OP, here's a link to the UCC website for science and engineering courses:
    http://www.ucc.ie/en/ProspectiveStudents/Admissions/programmes/sefs/
    It gives a list of all the degrees you can do, just click the ones you think sound interesting.:)

EDIT: if you enjoy biology, chemistry and home ec, then a degree in Food Science might be for you.

i was thinking about food science but

http://www.jobs.ie/ApplyForJob.aspx?Id=754383

80k chemist job distracted me LOL this is jokes 3 years exp 80k

Well, if you do chemistry and are capable of getting 560+ points, Pharmacy would be a fantastic degree.
    If I did Chem for my LC I could have got pharmacy. Kinda regret not doin' it now.:(

Well, if you do chemistry and are capable of getting 560+ points, Pharmacy would be a fantastic degree.
    If I did Chem for my LC I could have got pharmacy. Kinda regret not doin' it now.:(

chemistry isnt a requirement for pharmacy

besides, chemical engineering is better.

chemistry isnt a requirement for pharmacy

besides, chemical engineering is better.

It was last year (for UCC anyway). Maybe that requirement is dropped now, I don't know.

It was last year (for UCC anyway). Maybe that requirement is dropped now, I don't know.

i think chemistry is only a requriement for medicine, any science subject would have been required like physics or biology or ag science

• Closed Accounts Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Cokehead Mother

Trinity and UCC require chemistry for Pharmacy. RCSI doesn't.

ahh ok ^^ im obviously wrong so :)

how about architecture? heard its pretty decent

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Timans

Salman, there's more to life than money.

after i say this i will be hated alot

but no, CASH RULES EVERYTHING AROUND ME C.R.E.A.M as Wu-tang song clearly says.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 scraic

hey salman sorry to butt in now, but is dis chemical engineering course you're on about..is it a general degree? like could you do a post grad from it? taa

Advertisement