Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enabling QOS with the BT Voyager 210 wired modem

Options
  • 01-06-2008 4:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭

I'm just wondering if anyone else has looked into enabling QOS packet filtering with the above modem. Currently when I go into configuration->Quality of Service and then click the "Add" button to set up a new rule I just get redirected to a blank page.

Does anyone else have/had this problem and found out what causes it and how to work around it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭zil

*bump*

Has no one else come across this problem before? Is there a chance that theres a bug in my modem in that case?

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Deicida

Mine does the same thing but i don't have any need for it.

Well the technology can be very useful. Basically you can prioritise differant packets that you are uploading.

So, for example if you could set a rule so that any packets related to web browsing or online games have high priority. If you happened to be uploading something while you were browsing the web this would make your browsing much faster and more responsive.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Except it only affects your own traffic, so not very useful. Really useful QOS is done by ISPs to ensure VOIP doesn't jitter or have packet loss. Currently only internally on an ISPs own network.

There is no way to ensure QOS settings/management across the public internet.

The feature is probably only for a version with phone VOIP/SIP ATA port and the ISPs, hence the blank page.

Uploading doens't much affect browsing as that is mostly downloading.

I fully realise that QOS only works on your current upload and that global QOS such as through your ISP would be much better. However, most modern modems still implement QOS on the local end.

Theres a very interesting article that discusses this in detail http://www.formortals.com/Default.aspx?tabid=36&EntryID=57

It just seems rather unusual to leave a feature like that in the config page if it doesnt work. I mean it would seem to be rather a simple task to remove the QOS page from the list pane. I was hoping it was just a bug with the firmware or my config settings :/.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Also handy for 'throttling' housemates :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭free-man

kaimera wrote: »
    Also handy for 'throttling' housemates :)

That's exactly what I need to do.. any tips using the voyager? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

It's not useful for throttling housemates. Use an old Pentium III with Linux as router to do that.

Advertisement