Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Discussion of Travellers - Best Way Forward?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

@freddie 59

I actually am familliar with the thread, not that my comment was in relation to it, I am referring to this thread at the moment.

Here is what you said

You are justifying the use of slurs by claiming frustration by people who have had negative experience(s) with travellers "first hand"

There is no justification for the use of slurs. You can call me PC brigade if you like, I personally don't give a flying fcuk if you do. but incitement is incitement, regardless of the "reason."

Regardless of your other breaches of the charter, you were involved in back-seat modding, telling a moderator how they should run the board in their board, when what you should have done was take your issue to PM, feedback or helpdesk. This ban has been viewed and endorsed by an Smod,

There is a difference between venting ones frustration or anger and using racial/ethnic slurs in a thread. Whether you find the use of these slurs acceptable or not, the fact of the matter is that by using them one would be guilty of incitement.

Whatever Billy. Another PC rant. Doesn't surprise me at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

How do you equate exposing you as a liar with being a PC rant.

You are a Liar. that is a fact, political correctness has fcuk all to do with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Tha Gopher

How do you equate exposing you as a liar with being a PC rant.

You are a Liar. that is a fact,

Yeah.

So are all those bastards on the Waterford thread with their anti traveller stories. Absoloute and complete and utter bollix, you know it as well as I do.

[/sarcasm]

Jesus christ, how many fcuking years have you been spilling this bile now? Give it a rest ffs.

Should people use slurs in the debate? Of course not, it detracts from the seriousness of it.

But why should we care if they are using slurs against people they SAW engaged in criminality? If you are telling us these people are all telling fibs it is you who is lying here mate.

It is a little like bringing a prosecution against The Sun for referring to a paedophile as a nonce or a perv in one of their articles. Grow up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

**official notice**

the members of the Association of Time Travellers and Microwave Mechanics object to the use of the term 'Travellers' in relation to the itinerant ethnic minority that form the subject of this thread. The term traveller is a general term and we feel its use in such a specific manner tarnishes our image of impartiality within inter-temporal circles. Thus we are ordering a cease and desist on the use of the term or else we will steal all your Wednesdays.

**official notice**

the members of the Association of Time Travellers and Microwave Mechanics object to the use of the term 'Travellers' in relation to the itinerant ethnic minority that form the subject of this thread. The term traveller is a general term and we feel its use in such a specific manner tarnishes our image of impartiality within inter-temporal circles. Thus we are ordering a cease and desist on the use of the term or else we will steal all your Wednesdays.

Indeed :pac:

I really cant take the subject seriously at all with some of the rubbish posted on boards by the PC brigade. Its ripe for piss taking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46,106 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I have read this thread with interest and what I note (and I say this without reading any threads in the other forum) is that the problem here seems to lie with just one or two users. They either dont understand or dont want to understand that this is a private site and there is no free speech.

I have had personal problems with travelers down the years but I dealt with it in my own way. I didnt see the need to use the internet to spew out venom at a particular section of the Irish population.

Sully, the people who are causing you the problems here are now well aware of what is acceptable and whats not. If they dont agree with that then they can go and get their own soap box. If the persist with spouting obscenities then kick their fucking arses off the forum and let it be a lesson to everyone else that while they are in someone else's house they will conform with the wishes of the householder.

muffler wrote: »
    I have read this thread with interest and what I note (and I say this without reading any threads in the other forum) is that the problem here seems to lie with just one or two users. They either dont understand or dont want to understand that this is a private site and there is no free speech.

I have had personal problems with travelers down the years but I dealt with it in my own way. I didnt see the need to use the internet to spew out venom at a particular section of the Irish population.

tbh people should learn that if they refrain from "abusive" terms usually a discussion will be allowed.

boards is certainly progressing and is certainly more open to debate than in the past. For example the recent Roma threads on AH, even 18 months ago the locks and bans would have been immediate for mere discussion of the topic. There used to be a rule on AH for example which pretty much banned any thread complaining about East Europeans. Which led to a rather odd situation where it was grand for people to start threads about how a gang of skangers were smoking down the back of the bus but not OK to be questioning, say, why the Gardai didnt seem too bothered about the amt of people resident here driving Polish reg cars. More freedom of speech is being allowed, and there are less PC clowns promoting their bizarre agendas (banning people from AH who called others racists for non racist posts has probably kept a few of them in line).

Still, sometimes I miss the comedy they provided.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Tha Gopher wrote: »
    Yeah.

So are all those bastards on the Waterford thread with their anti traveller stories. Absoloute and complete and utter bollix, you know it as well as I do.

[/sarcasm]

Jesus christ, how many fcuking years have you been spilling this bile now? Give it a rest ffs.

Where have I commented in this thread about people sharing their experiences with travellers, be they positive or negative. You won't find such a post because, I suspect that you jumped in without looking for one first before posting.

There is no difficulty with people sharing their experiences be they positive or negative. If that is what the thread is about example ""share your traveller stories" then that is what the thread is going to be about. However, the problem arrises in threads where people use personal experiences to "prove" that "all travellers" not just the ones they had experiences with, are scum.

But that is a digression from the topic here. The topic here is whether or not the use of slurs is justified. Freddie seems to think that because someone had a bad experience with travellers that they are justified in using racist slurs against them. Go back and read the ****ing thread gopher before posting again.

If you saw a black man committing a crim Gopher, would you consider calling him a ******, or coon, or ****skin acceptable? I think not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

The fact of the matter lies in the way that the Waterford forum is being overridden with bullshít stories about travellers.

Irish people have a reputation for being poor, drunk people who have to migrate for a living.
    How would you feel if you were classified like that, depite being a normal irish person who's not like that?
    I could go on, but just a reminder to the people who feel travellers are all bad people, try accepting them into your society first and be more tolerant of them. And let he without sin cast the first stone...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

+1 for introducing the banning stick!

These people are openly having a right auld time slagging the bejaysus out of the travelling community and getting away with it! Not on imho. They should be banned. It doesn't matter if they have had bad experiences with the travelling community it still gives them absolutely no right what so ever to publicly bash them. It's discrimination and quiet rightly if as pointed out in an earlier comment if we were to substitute in "black" for "traveller", which is completely wrong, we would have a matter of racism on our hands. This is how serious this traveller bashing could end up going.

If it is let go on then any boards member say like me who has a problem with a friend say "bob" can come on here and publicly B1t(h "BOB" to the ground. It isn't a open opinion forum, it is a structured, moderated, ruled, forum where a charter of conduct has been put in place for a reason. Ban them in they continue to use such rude, foul and obscene words.

I got banned for two weeks from the soccer forum for expressing my opinion on a particular soccer player:). I only used two words and they were not that bad!:)These guys have made structured complaints about the travelling community and yet still escape proper infringement bans, I don't think that's right. Get your banning stick out lad!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Freddie59 wrote: »
    Whatever Billy. Another PC rant. Doesn't surprise me at all.

Well the point I suggested a forum on Travelers is so we can remove the idiot type posts of "PC Brigade" claims and get some proper dialogue going that is a bit more constructive.

But if you have to resort to name calling then you have already lost the argument.

Advertisement