Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It's Alive ....muhahahahahahahaha!

Options
  • 01-06-2008 5:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭

I'm just finished my latest....and last:o monster PC build. Everything went together without issue, apart from a faulty mobo that was swiftly exchanged for a spare one :).
    I've just completed a Vista Ultimate 64bit install (complete with updates),flashed the mobo to the latest bios and carried out a little overclocking.

PC specs:

Lian Li V1010 black pc case
    Overclocked Intel QX9770 3.2ghz Extreme processor
    Tuniq Tower cooler
    Evga 790i Ultra motherboard
    8GB of PC1333 DDR3 memory
    2x Samsung 64GB SSD hard drives
    2x Samsung F1 1tb hard drives
    Thermaltake 1.2kw PSU
    2x Evga 9800GX2

Here's some results:

CPU-Z

4ghz.jpg

Real Temp

4ghztemps.jpg

I'm installing 3DMark06 at the minute and will update with a score asap.:cool:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭tramoredude

:o nice! How much did it cost?!

I guess €5500 or so? You're a crazy person

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

Cost was ....rather high ;):o

Here's my first run of 3DMark06

4ghz3dmark.jpg

Not overly impressive...though that's probably because it can't cope with quad sli. I'll download Vantage and clock up to 4.2ghz to see how I get on:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

Crysis tests please, see can you get very comfortable fps (no under 30fps )?

1900x1200, Very High, No AA

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭skuzzb

I was wondering why the lights dipped earlier!!!
    I told you that 8gigs of ram would be a bottleneck......16gb minimum :D
    How fast is the boot time with those SSD's?

I'll run Vantage first (d/ling at the min) and i'll fire up Crysis tomorrow.

Why no AA? On my old (overclocked E8500@4.2ghz) system I run FSX (flightsim)on max with 1900x1200, 16x AA and never drop below 30fps

• Advertisement

Boot time is ~ 20 seconds from hitting the switch. I'll be upgrading the ram to Corsair pc1600 asap ;):D

PS...i'm running at a stable 4.2GHZ now :)

Nforce wrote: »
    Why no AA?

Some bug with the Quad sli drivers that affects AA badly, might been fixed now..

Ahh...cheers for that.:cool:

Been playing with the bios a 'lil bit more.....

42ghztemps.jpg

42ghzcpuz.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Sweet PC, I know you can't keep waiting indefinitely because something new is always around the corner, but the new cards out in the next few weeks....surely would have been worth holding on for?

Supposed to be bit price cuts on Intel CPU's around the end of summer or so, isn't there - I know there was specific talk about the high end CPU's taking massive cuts. Making September an ideal time for building: price cuts and allow the new cards to settle in, get a little cheaper and readily available and so on....

I'll probably get 2 of the next gen cards when they're released. As you've said yourself...there's never a right time to build in the PC world as there's alway's something new/ground-breaking around the corner.
    I've been collecting bits for this build since Xmas....so now is as good a time as any to throw it together.:)

• Advertisement

You sure SLI is working? 20k is a pretty disappointing score for that setup, considering an overclocked 9800GTX with the same CPU gets ~17k

To the driver mobile!

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭requiem1

Sweet PC, I know you can't keep waiting indefinitely because something new is always around the corner, but the new cards out in the next few weeks....surely would have been worth holding on for?

Supposed to be bit price cuts on Intel CPU's around the end of summer or so, isn't there - I know there was specific talk about the high end CPU's taking massive cuts. Making September an ideal time for building: price cuts and allow the new cards to settle in, get a little cheaper and readily available and so on....

GTX 280 $649 and GTX260 $449, i think it'll take a while for these to get cheap

You sure SLI is working? 20k is a pretty disappointing score for that setup, considering an overclocked 9800GTX with the same CPU gets ~17k

To the driver mobile!

Yep....quad sli was enabled. I'm going to try the latest beta drivers today:)

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭skuzzb

Ya gonna post us a few pics?? How did you manage to fit the SSD's in?

I'm waiting on some mounting brackets for the SSD's......until then, they are flopping loosely about in the case :eek::p:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Pathetic 3DMark score for the amount of money spent :mad: meh

Come on, U can do better than that :D

Ahhh....but it wasn't for 3Dmark that this machine was built ;).........if so i'd have kept my 8800 Ultra cards:)

Edit: Haven't even looked at the new system today yet...i've orders to upgrade the TV card in my htpc so that we can record programs from the Sky Box :(

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

seems like a waste imo

Ahhh....but it wasn't for 3Dmark that this machine was built ;).........if so i'd have kept my 8800 Ultra cards:)

What else is quad sli for? :D

A 2.4Ghz core2duo & single 8800GTS can max absolutely any game except Crysis

Get some pics up when ya get it tidyed m8, wanna see this beast, also can ya post a screenie of hdtach, wanna see how those ssd's perform in raid 0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

pics of the pc or gtfo !

:)

• Advertisement

No pics yet and a 20k 3dMark score? I think he just has a q6600 and a single 9800GX2 and hes frantically looking for another one before he posts pics!

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

requiem1 wrote: »
    GTX 280 $649 and GTX260 $449, i think it'll take a while for these to get cheap

2 GX2's isn't exactly cheap either and will be slower then 2 of the newer cards.

Firstly let me say....Vista 64bit + Quad Sli + buggy drivers leads to one heck of a pizzed off pc builder. This build has been,and is the buggiest that i've ever thrown together. I've been running into loads of issues today....and have almost decided to do a complete rebuild using a P5E3 mobo and some ATi 3870X2's!:eek:
    However....i'll persevere with this rig as new improved (:rolleyes::mad:) drivers and mobo bios' should come out soon enough. Anyhoo...enough of my bitchin':p

I managed to run Vantage today with a score of 13,238. I've pics of the system on my camera and i'll resize and upload them later.
    Adios,
    Nforce:cool:

Edit: Pics as promised......

case

innards

more

tight fit

ssd's

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

Congrats on the new build Nforce. If you remember I built something very similar not so long ago (bar the SSD's) but alas had to sell up. Don't listen to the detractors. If you can afford it, build it I say :) Unfortunatley I couldn't :eek: Quad sli is a bit finicky allright but I didn't have any performance issues to be honest. I wouldn't bother upgrading the memory though, or if you do, then 1600mhz I believe is the most you can use if populating all 4 slots. 790i gets funny with 1800mhz and higher if talking 4gigs.

To the driver mobile!

Scores look ok..

http://www.maxishine.com.au/documents/9800gx2_quad_sli.html

Are you going to put some game benches Nforce..

Want to see AoC and Crysis max'ed out

I'll be throwing on a few games in the coming days,hopefully. Memory upgrade and eventually GFX upgrades are in the pipeline too;):D

PS...the reason for the low 3DMark06 score is down to the fact that it doesn't support quad sli afaik

Flaccus wrote: »
    Congrats on the new build Nforce. If you remember I built something very similar not so long ago (bar the SSD's) but alas had to sell up. Don't listen to the detractors. If you can afford it, build it I say :) Unfortunatley I couldn't :eek: Quad sli is a bit finicky allright but I didn't have any performance issues to be honest. I wouldn't bother upgrading the memory though, or if you do, then 1600mhz I believe is the most you can use if populating all 4 slots. 790i gets funny with 1800mhz and higher if talking 4gigs.

Thanks Flaccus.....yep,i'll probably get 1600mhz ram with all slots populated.When i've this rig performing at it's best I may be tempted to sell up too....:(:eek:

I'll be throwing on a few games in the coming days,hopefully. Memory upgrade and eventually GFX upgrades are in the pipeline too;):D

PS...the reason for the low 3DMark06 score is down to the fact that it doesn't support quad sli afaik

Apologies on the score comment, was expecting alot more, didn't realise the probs. Maybe game benches would be a better comparrison.

Will find out soon enough,Póg :)
    I'm rma'ing my mobo's as it seems that i've bought a from a dodgy batch. Should have the new boards soon ...and then i'll start overclocking in earnest;):D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭TonyM.

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2008/06/04/asus-rampage-extreme-niche-new-features/1

If you really want to overclock get the x48 Rampage Extreme all 790i/680i boards are unstable they overvolt the memory .I can play any game i want with the one 9800gtx. for now .

Advertisement